Sign in to follow this  
mppd

New CBU-24/B CBU shape

New CBU-24/B CBU shape

I built this to replace the blunt shaped CBU-24/B CBU munition in the sim, as that shape is actually the SUU-30B/B dispenser. The CBU- designation for munitions is actually the combined SUU- dispenser and BLU-submition bomblet combined. A bit complicated.

The weapon as supplied in the sim should actually be the CBU-24B/B (using the blunt nosed SUU-30B/B shape). That was introduced in 1969 or so and was seen during the 1972 Linebacker operations.

This weapon is the CBU-24/B (using the more streamlined SUU-30/B shape) and was used until about 1971 or so when it seems that USAF stocks were pretty much used up in Southeast Asia.

You must be able to use the weaponeditor to have both shapes available.

My thanks to NGHENGO for converting the GMax files into a workable .LOD and .bmp file for me!

Revised 7-08 with better texture and resized shape.

Enjoy,

Mike Druzolowski

Nice work.

Great, the CBU-24 always looked too fat.

good work! :good:

good work! :good:

Mike, those are really perfect!!!!! Are you, by any chance, going to release some blunt nosed SUU-30B/B to replace the utterly ugly ones that we have by now?

We can retexture them, but I thought that they were shaped correctly already? Some other ordnance that we could use would be uncapped BLU-1 napalm (popular on A-1s and Marine F-4s up to 1965 or so) and 250lb MK81 Snakeye - but don't these actually deploy the tailfins on the Mk82s in the game? There are a bunch of odd CBU and flare dispensers seen on F-100s and F-4s used over the trail, but not sure how to get the CBU bomblets to deploy out the bottom or the back...can anyone help?

Mike D.

What would be great too would be the SUU-7/A pod wich was vastly used in Vietnam too.

These little weapon projects seem like just the thing for the beginner 3D-modeler such as myself! NGHENGO

kindly "converted" the GMax files for me - but I suspect that he actually completely redid them in 3DSMax. It didn't take long to figure out how to align cones and tube shapes, but something more complicated (like the F-4 under-nose RHAW housing I am trying to do) is way over my head right now...

Mike D.