Sign in to follow this  
Icarus999

Is it possible to assign an AI flight secondary targets?

I use Le Missioneur to create my missions and it seems that only one target can be assigned to each flight. an airbase may contain multiple sams radars and AAA but only one of those targets can be highlighted

as the objective. The same problem seems to be present if I direct the flight to a nearby secondary target area if i highlight a new target it seems that the first one is deselected in favor of the new one.

Also my AI SEAD missions, are leaving much to be desired as many aircraft do not engage enemy radars, and return to base with a full load of anti radiation missiles. Perhaps this is a multiple targeting issue as well.

In past missions I am pretty sure that I have seen AI aircraft carrying HARM's engage any radar that lit them up... is there a way to make the SEAD aircraft more aggressive?

Are there any editing tricks or mods that will allow me to assign multiple targets to one flight of strike aircraft?

Edited by Icarus999

The first part, assign a target then when the target is hit call the wingman back to formation, then assign another target. The second part, this game is funny because I have that same prob, but sometimes the AI wingman will hit the target.

I use Le Missioneur to create my missions and it seems that only one target can be assigned to each flight. an airbase may contain multiple sams radars and AAA but only one of those targets can be highlighted

as the objective. The same problem seems to be present if I direct the flight to a nearby secondary target area if i highlight a new target it seems that the first one is deselected in favor of the new one.

Also my AI SEAD missions, are leaving much to be desired as many aircraft do not engage enemy radars, and return to base with a full load of anti radiation missiles. Perhaps this is a multiple targeting issue as well.

In past missions I am pretty sure that I have seen AI aircraft carrying HARM's engage any radar that lit them up... is there a way to make the SEAD aircraft more aggressive?

Are there any editing tricks or mods that will allow me to assign multiple targets to one flight of strike aircraft?

thanks for responding MAKO69,

I am talking about mission building and the ability to construct a mission in wich an AI flight is directed to a secondary target in the mission planning.

It looks to me as if the game will not support this but I thought I would ask those with a lot more experience in mission building that myself if there are any edits or tricks

to pull this off. the misson building section in the KB seems to have gone past the cut off date

Perhaps ask over at Thirdwire forums.

Oh ok, that sounds like its deep in the game program itself, looks like some marathon surgery to find that then, good luck

The first part, assign a target then when the target is hit call the wingman back to formation, then assign another target. The second part, this game is funny because I have that same prob, but sometimes the AI wingman will hit the target.
Edited by MAKO69

I have a theory about the AI in that it's much cleverer than anyone gives it credit for. I'm sure TK designed it that way.

Basically it's so advanced that whatever you tell your wingies to do, they think about it for a nanosecond then go off and do whatever they want anyway ! Now that is real AI :biggrin:

I have a theory about the AI in that it's much cleverer than anyone gives it credit for. I'm sure TK designed it that way.

Basically it's so advanced that whatever you tell your wingies to do, they think about it for a nanosecond then go off and do whatever they want anyway ! Now that is real AI :biggrin:

Maybe that explains why they sometimes fly out of the war zone completely and in the direction of Tahiti.

Sometimes the only commands that work are rejoin and return to base - and I was starting to suspect that the AI was perhaps learning cowardice!

But to contradict that - why do they always attack bombers with tail guns by flying to within about 5 mtrs of them - stupidness or just very brave?

You could make each flight an individual airplane and then put a couple flights on the same waypoints... iirc, this is the way that formation take offs and landings with the AI is done.

Just make sure that you are zooming in really far into the runway for precise positioning if you're going to do a formation take off.

An added bonus with this is that while you can tell each flight to attack a different target, as they reach the mission area, you can tell them to break off on their own and even set up bombing runs at the same time from different directions- a tactic used in the real world, but not by the default AI.

Good luck!