Sign in to follow this  
THEJETDEMON

Aircraft Camouflage

Aircraft camouflage  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it is time for the aircraft we have now to have different camo patterns like from the solid to digital.

• yes
    • no
    • undecided

Typhoid

"waaaaay back in WWII the ship cameo patterns were designed to do two things. One was to hide the ship of course in the murky visual environment of whatever theater they were operating in. (North Atlantic schemes were somewhat different than the South Pacific.....) But even then, the cameo put false bows onto the pattern in order to confuse the range finders and throw off the shot."

we do that now with our A-10s, and many other aircraft (i have seen Canadian CF-18's)with ' false canopies". also if you look at an A-10 you will see how there are 2 shades of grey, a light and a dark, they are painted to make the aircrafts color blend with each other, somewhat eliminating the shadow. making it harder to see if it is bank away from you or at you. i guess Boeing did a similar thing with it's 'Bird of Prey'

by the way...Falcon161.....that Fulcrum... is pretty much bada**.

I think it is time for our Air Forces to definitely switch from the dull gray pattern they are using as it really does take the personality out of the plane. Thank god hyper stealth did this for the Slovakian Airforce

gallery_12300_63_4039.jpg

And No it is not photo shopped this is a real pic of a real plane!

Yeah i made an aircraft calender out of that picture

Typhoid

"waaaaay back in WWII the ship cameo patterns were designed to do two things. One was to hide the ship of course in the murky visual environment of whatever theater they were operating in. (North Atlantic schemes were somewhat different than the South Pacific.....) But even then, the cameo put false bows onto the pattern in order to confuse the range finders and throw off the shot."

we do that now with our A-10s, and many other aircraft (i have seen Canadian CF-18's)with ' false canopies". also if you look at an A-10 you will see how there are 2 shades of grey, a light and a dark, they are painted to make the aircrafts color blend with each other, somewhat eliminating the shadow. making it harder to see if it is bank away from you or at you. i guess Boeing did a similar thing with it's 'Bird of Prey'

Everything I've read on the ship camo patterns says they probably did very little to confuse the enemy - that's why they stopped using them. Also, as for the false canopies, I agree with something I read - if you're close enough to see them, you're close enough not to be fooled.

I think we ought to stick with varying combinations of dark and light greys and light blues. Seems that they would be the least visible across the broadest range of scenarios.

It is not necessary switch to digi camo schemes. Simply... Digi camo is more popular than standard schemes. Is nicer maybe... Modern... Better look for airshows.

But it is camo scheme, so its role is in self defence for aircraft. If it is more efetivnes is question into discussion.

Here are some photos from official introducing of our modernised Mig-29AS (we were Czechoslovakia when we get first Mig-29A from SSSR. It was in 1989. Than we were differenced into two separate but still brotherly republics: Slovak republic and Czech republic. Both used Mig-29. Czech republic sold their Migs to Polland and bought Grippens. We have still Mig-29, modernised for NATO copatibillity):

http://www.1sqn.sk/fotogaleria/modernizaci...igov/index.html

PS: about Mig-29... Mig-29 looks nice with or without digi. Simply Mig-29 is nice in all coloures (I do not talk about efectivnes now) :haha:

I hope that Sundowner will have interest on Slovak digi camo... And than we will see Mig-29A by Mirage factory in Slovak colours in the future on our monitors too :blush:

Edited by kukulino

PS: about Mig-29... Mig-29 looks nice with or without digi. Simply Mig-29 is nice in all coloures (I do not talk about efectivnes now) :haha:

An INCONVENIENT TRUTH... :rofl:

No I kid i kid...or do I :ninja: