Sign in to follow this  
column5

Got iPhone?

I was given enough money to buy one but I'm actually hunting down a Nokia 5140i because I think THAT phone is much more practical than all that new techie crap. I need a phone that is at least as rugged as I am and doesn't go down to take a crap when I need it. That particular Nokia kinda makes it a "swiss-army-knife" of a phone but technology-wise it's best for the two things I make most with a handy (german expression - cell-phone for you americans, or mobiles for you brits) which is to make and receive calls and send and receive text messages, although it has limited extras in terms of technology should the need somehow arise. And aren't the iPhones the nr1 target for all those viruses that seem to be tailored for the multimedia-mobile-devices? I swear I'll :lmaosmiley: should I come across an owner of an iPhone if he should ridicularize me at the first time (for having a "low-tech phone") and then curse his phone or Apple the second time just because his precious technological gimmick got "infected"...

As for the fact that it's a jack of all trades, worse than not being excellent at all tasks (except perhaps talking to the phone and sending messages) is the fact that you'll be consuming that single device's battery for all the tasks you would perhaps normally share amongst other devices - like, for listening MP3's I have an iPod, and I wouldn't want to not be able to make a simple call just because the iPhone's battery had gone down due to my listening of music or taking pictures or god knows what else... :tomato2:

I was given enough money to buy one but I'm actually hunting down a Nokia 5140i because I think THAT phone is much more practical than all that new techie crap. I need a phone that is at least as rugged as I am and doesn't go down to take a crap when I need it. That particular Nokia kinda makes it a "swiss-army-knife" of a phone but technology-wise it's best for the two things I make most with a handy (german expression - cell-phone for you americans, or mobiles for you brits) which is to make and receive calls and send and receive text messages, although it has limited extras in terms of technology should the need somehow arise. And aren't the iPhones the nr1 target for all those viruses that seem to be tailored for the multimedia-mobile-devices? I swear I'll :lmaosmiley: should I come across an owner of an iPhone if he should ridicularize me at the first time (for having a "low-tech phone") and then curse his phone or Apple the second time just because his precious technological gimmick got "infected"...

As for the fact that it's a jack of all trades, worse than not being excellent at all tasks (except perhaps talking to the phone and sending messages) is the fact that you'll be consuming that single device's battery for all the tasks you would perhaps normally share amongst other devices - like, for listening MP3's I have an iPod, and I wouldn't want to not be able to make a simple call just because the iPhone's battery had gone down due to my listening of music or taking pictures or god knows what else... :tomato2:

So far, battery life has not been a problem and it seems quite durable. Apple has done a good job on previous products making them scratch resistant, and the iPhone seems like it is going to be as good as my 5th Gen iPod in that respect.

I got to use the GPS functionality yesterday and it was very convenient. I was driving around to various auto parts stores looking for a gasket, and had been unsuccesful at AutoZone and Advance. I pulled up the YellowPages app, clicked the "target" button to get it to geo-locate me, then searched for auto parts and got a list of the stores closest to my current location. Was very nice!

(maybe I don't need to take Adam Ant and Thomas Dolby with me everywhere).

Blasphemer!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

At&t is my provider now since I was carried over from the merger with Cingular and they always provided the best coverage in my area. I currently use the HTC tilt which has everthing I need but I might buy an 3g iphone for my wife. You just cant beat Apples easy and sharp looking interface.