Sign in to follow this  
Miracles

Hey I think I like the F-15 in WoI

I got my first hit with the AIM-7 sparrow in WOI today :yahoo:(Pulling hair) .

Now I know why most of my AIM-7 Sparrow missiles failed to guide to the enemy plane. :grandpa:

CHAFFs. Damn tin foils

Now one question. How do I know I'm within firing range to fire my AIM-7 Sparrow?

There is no light indicator like the one in the Mirage or some other fighters. The HUD also doesn't tell me anything.

Eh maybe it's my English but what do others mean that the enemy plane would beam on me? I searched the dictionary and it doesn't give me anything that I don't already know.

Edited by Miracles

If I recall correctly, WoI's pits are not that good for the arms. They seems unfinished: no "in range" or "armed" light indicator in the F-15. They are in MF's ones.

If the ennemy beams on you, I supposed they will try to fly to you and lock you on radar, the same way when you beam on them. I might be wrong.

theres a min range and a max range marker on the right side of the radar scope

its not a dynamic launch zone or other fancy stuff, the marks simply show the min and max missile range as they are set in the weapondata ini.

once you are inside max range, a small triangle is displayed on the bottom center of the radar scope as a launch cue

Really they would try to lock their radar onto me?

I didn't know the enemy planes were equipped with radar guided missiles too.

Thanks Crusader.

I'll try to observe that triangle cue at the bottom center of the radar scope. Squint more!

That's how I understand your sentence. You know how english is: you can sometime use words in a strange manner for us, non native speakers. :biggrin:

If you say: "I'll beam them", I undestand you are getting a radar lock on them, so the contrary is true.

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

I'm beaming the enemy means I'm locking the enemy on my radar.

They beaming on me means that they have me locked on their radar.

Pardon me but which part did I miss. :dntknw:

There is just one plane which can fire at you radar guided missile from stock planes: Mig-23MF (as I wrote in different topic) if you fly on Israely side.

Mig-21F/PF/PFM/MF (Mig-21FL model is missing. Not modelled for this time) usually loads IR R-3S/R-13M, Bis loads IR R-60T. But if you have Mirage faktorys weps pack, some planes can load radar guided R-3R --- Mig-21MF/Bis and Mig-23MF (if you have flyable them, you can choose R-3R in single mission).

If you play campaign, just Mig-23MF can fire radar guided R-23R on you. Mig-21s are pointed use just IR missiles in Loadout.inis in the campaigns. Stock MIG-23MF_LOADOUT.ini allows use on Mig-23MF 1xR-23R and 1xR-23T. I am not sure about this, becouse our (ex)czechoslovak Mig-23MFs used 2xR-23R or 2xR-23T. Mixed load (1xR-23R and 1xR-23T) was used on newer Mig-23ML in Czechoslovak AF.

Edit: I forgot Mig-23MS. MS can carry just IR missiles in WOI.

Edited by kukulino

I'm beaming the enemy means I'm locking the enemy on my radar.

They beaming on me means that they have me locked on their radar.

Pardon me but which part did I miss. :dntknw:

That's what I understand too. So I don't miss anything, I guess. :yes:

Thanks kukulino. Now I try to play vanilla for WoI.

@Emp_palpatine: :yes:

(Very) Basically To Beam another jet - If you are being locked up by a jets radar - turn and put them on your 3 or 9 oclock - this will make a "pulse doppler" radar lose you momentarily breaking the attacking jets radar lock - and making a SARH missile (like a Sparrow) go ballistic.

How well this works depends on how its programmed into a sim game - it works far too well in WOI apparently compared to how it did in RL.

Edited by MigBuster

You mean making our flight perpendicular to that of the locking enemy.

Ohh so THAT IS BEAMING....

Thanks MigBuster