Sign in to follow this  
Emp_Palpatine

I want to do some WW1

Hi there!

I'm in a WW1 mood since a few weeks (well, you can add that my on-going interest for that war hadn't suffered from Harry Turtledove's Great War novels) and I would like to re-fly in some good old biplane, shooting down boches over my home-land, Flanders.

So, which WW1 sim would you recommend me?

TK's FE? I do love others TK sims, and I would be quite prone to support him with a few bucks... But If I did understand correctly, it would be 2x30 bucks. (BTW, it's high time to benefit from Euro/Dollar rates)

I've also heard from CFS3 "over flanders field". As i can get that game very cheap, I'm quite interested too. Do someone know of this mod?

We do have a dedicated WW1 sim section on these forums :wink:

Done! :wink:

I've got both CFS3/OFF and FE with its expansion. They're very different although covering the same era. FE and exp would cost you what, 45-50 Euros or so? I'm sure CFS3 is far less than that and OFF Phase 2 is free (Phase 3 won't be, although I don't think they've announced what they'll charge).

If you like TK's other sims, you know exactly what FE will be. Change the terrain, WWI planes, WWI themed menus, same basic style of campaign/missions. OFF is good for people who liked/didn't mind CFS3's way of doing things. It is sort of a 2-in-1 setup, though. You run a custom front-end UI that then launches the modded CFS3 when you go to fly and exit back out when done. Not perfect, but workable. There's also a bit of oddity where the enemy AI is kinda brain-dead in single missions but very good in campaign. :dntknw: It's a CFS3-related problem, no way to fix it I know of.

I will admit I spend more time in FE, but that's because I fly it coop MP with someone.

Yeah... But the 50 bucks things for the OFF mod adds some points to FE...

Well, only if you get OFF Phase 3. I think they'll still give you Phase 2 for the cost of a blank DVD and shipping...

FastCargo

I got mine when P2 was still downloadable.

And FE+EXP cost 60$...

I'll have to buy CF3 (10€ (7-8$) or so, plus shipping), then to buy OFF (40€/50$ or so, plus shipping), that goes up to 50€... And I am not even sure my laptop could run it. That's why I'm so hesitating.

I'll have to buy CF3 (10€ (7-8$) or so, plus shipping), then to buy OFF (40€/50$ or so, plus shipping), that goes up to 50€... And I am not even sure my laptop could run it. That's why I'm so hesitating.

Yeah,you're talkin' 15 Gig for OFF Phase3........However if you want "immersion" then OFF has it,historically correct jasta skins/moving front-line/offensive pushes/AI planned missions (as opposed to random spawns).....man the list goes on.

If it were'nt for the obvious clues to CFS3 being the engine e.g menu screens/in-flight controls,you would think you were playing an original standalone.

If you are looking for MP WWI simulator, I'd recommend Targetware. TW is beta graphics engine with open structure, available for free, so the community made a lot of mods for it, covering WWI, WWII (September 1939 campaign in Poland, Western-European, Mediterranean and Paciffic theatres), Korean War and acrobatic aviation. FM's are good, same as 3D modells. Graphic is a bit old, but nice. There's allso a mod called "War over Poland 1920", covering war between Poland and Bolschevik Russia in 1920. Not WWI, but close to it, as there were WWI airplanes and tactics still in use at that time. You can read more at:

www.targetware.net

www.richthofens-skies.com

www.1pl.boo.pl

BTW: Emp_Palpatine, "Richthofen's Skies" mod was originally named as "Target Flanders", this shows, what region does it focus on.

EDIT:

Of course all mods are available for free, such as the main application.

Another Edit:

Just found a topic about RS on Combat Ace: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=28168

Edited by RoGaLMiG29