Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Half-life2 Source Code Leaked

Jeez, this is not good news. Seems the Half-Life 2 code has been leaked to the internet and now a bunch of people have their hands on the code, which of course is gonna mean cheating on the servers. :blink:

Valve's Gabe Newell has an official statement, via ShackNews/HalfLife2.net, indicating "infiltration of our network" and appealing for information on the culprits.

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

You can read more over at Halflife2.net or this link:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread...?threadid=10692

in my opinion (plus something i heard) that it will delay

the realse of HL2 in few months to probably change things in thw Source Code

and anyway people fins cheats in every game

to some it will be easy (if the source code will not be changed)

as a "starting" programmer like my self i would like to see a real full game source code

maybe now is my chance :rolleyes::blink: :o

LOL :lol:

With todays technology, you would think that an adventure into creating this game would have been safe. However, if they can break Magneto outta the glass prison, I guess anything is possible. Personally...I think they should seek legal action to prosecute the theives...then have them publish the movie. I'd probably enjoy watching the movie more then playing with the hacks.

I'm sure this will delay the release for MORE then a few months. maybe even up to 6 months. Or, the movie may unfold to find out that this was VALVES attempt to cover up the fact that thier CODE is nowhere near ready for a release this soon. One can only hope. Either way...I can see the movie posters being printed soon.

<C>

Fates

It's idiots like these guys that take the joy out of online FPS gaming.

I mainly only play FPS multiplayers on LAN games, cause i know what all my machines are running, lol.

Nothing worse than a bunny hopping dweeb with an aimbot...

this is truely bad..but it looks like the community is supporting him.also if you want to look at a source code the Mig Alley code is available,and it's legal.