Sign in to follow this  
JSF_Aggie

.INI FIles And The Patch

All,

For most I think this is preaching to the choir but, I think some of you are having problems with the new patch because you are copying .ini files from pre-patch mods, into your patched install.

TK changes and adds to many of the .ini files with each patch. When you install pre-patch mods, you're potentially writing over things he's added or improved.

There are many free tools to diff text files. I use ExamDiff, but I'm sure there are some better.

It's worthwhile to compare old vs. new before you install a mod. If you have the disk space, it's also worth keeping a clean 08-30-06 install around, that way you can tell what TK has added/changed vs. what the author of the mod added/changed.

It's also helps when debugging, or figuring out how a new feature is implemented.

post-2166-1222802078_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Can I get an AMEN?

JSF_Aggie is exactly right here folks...I use WinMerge myself.

A lot of times, the old ini files will work, but won't take advantage of new features. It is essential to figure out what's changed with mods....so you can have those features in your mods.

Like the new high altitude colorations combined with Ceilingsky mod.

Or JSF_Aggie's road airfields...with dynamic parking spots.

Etc, etc....

FastCargo

So what do I need to do to update Cellinsky's sky mod?

Add these lines to your current ENVIROMENTSYSTEM.INI file (assuming it's the CeilingSky mod)...

[HighAlt]

HighAltColorStart=5000.0

HighAltColorEnd=20000.0

HighAltSkyColor=0.062,0.080,0.164

HighAltHorizonColor=0.384,0.553,0.922

HighAltFogColor=0.651,0.757,0.965

SunLightModifiler=1.1

AmbientModifiler=0.1

SpecularModifer=1.25

This enables the new 'dark sky' when you get really high...starts blending it in at 15000 feet...

Season to taste.

FastCargo

Thanks for the hint with the comparision tool.

Just yesterday did a sidebyside comparision of the VietnamSEA_data.ini of Greenhell2 and stock Sep2008 patch to get it going. It worked fine after adding the changed parts of Greenhell to the stock file.

Unfortunately still can only fly in externals since cockpit view seems to be spoiled for me.

S!

Thanks for the hint with the comparision tool.

Just yesterday did a sidebyside comparision of the VietnamSEA_data.ini of Greenhell2 and stock Sep2008 patch to get it going. It worked fine after adding the changed parts of Greenhell to the stock file.

Unfortunately still can only fly in externals since cockpit view seems to be spoiled for me.

S!

Remove the ViewList ini from your Flight folder,that way it should go back to your stock views.Either that or I dont know what Im talking about! :biggrin: