Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

Just imagine,,,

So, Im standing out in my back yard, watering some shrubs and I have a couple of hummingbird feeders hanging about 15 feet apart. Well, I dont know if any of you guys have watched them before, but they are very territorial as well as methodical, and no other hummingbird DARE go near a feeder once it has been claimed without being dive-bombed.

And if Ived learned one thing by watching them, it is if you are in a flight path they have chosen, DO NOT MOVE !! That bird knows exactly where he is going and can turn on a dime while traveling at a zillion miles an hour and screaming its head off. I swear theyve come as close to me as 2 inches while making a pass, and the first few times its real hard not to move.

Then my mind got to wandering, as it often does, and I imagined myself the size of a hummingbird. Wouldnt it be the ultimate in flight? Just imagine the relative speed youd be going, and still be able to manuver as they do. :blink:

Just then the phone rang, and I was brought back down to the ground, still cursed to trod the earth, :sad:

Edited by gwar

Hummingbirds are extremely territorial, and often go for the eyes of rival Hummingbirds.

Hummingbirds are extremely territorial, and often go for the eyes of rival Hummingbirds.

Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!

I saw one in Pinar Del Rio (in Cuba) in June 2007 which

was the first one I saw in the wild.

Impressive how a bird that size has a performance

like that! I was awed and watched it fly around while

others didn't see it!

I bet a colission with such an animal will give

you quite the headache!

Muesli

Edited by muesli

Their wings pivot like little thrust vectoring nozzles which gives them great moves!

the only thing more maneuverable then a humming bird, is a bat. because they have flexible wings, and can manipulate every aspect of their skin and fingers.