Sign in to follow this  
column5

Anyone have this Hard Drive?

Anyone have the Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB drive? I'm upgrading my PC and bought one of these today. I went to the store to get the Caviar Black 1TB drive, not because of capacity, but because its performance is rated highly. The low price of the SE16 tempted me so I bought it instead. Is the performance of this disk OK, or will I be unhappy?

I currently have a pair of 74GB Raptors in RAID0, and I know the Caviar won't match them, but I only want 1 HDD in the new system because of space constraints.

Well, out of 20+ WD drives I've had, I've only had one ever fail...don't know if that says much.

Speaking of which...(slight thread hijack) anyone still use EIDE drives? I'm going to have 1TB+ worth up for grabs soon.

FastCargo

Well, out of 20+ WD drives I've had, I've only had one ever fail...don't know if that says much.

Speaking of which...(slight thread hijack) anyone still use EIDE drives? I'm going to have 1TB+ worth up for grabs soon.

FastCargo

Had two WDs go Tango Uniform on me back in late 1998 (a 4.2 GB and a 6.4 GB), and none since then. I've replaced 6 or 7 Maxtors since the late 90s, due to failures. Never had a Seagate fail.

Mechanical hard drives? I'm thinking more in line with solid state drives (SSD) like this 64Gb one for $165: -LINK HERE- Does anybody use these in tandem with HDD?

WD Makes pretty decent drives. I put my HDs through alot of use, my machine is constantly running between myself, my girlfriend and some friends and family that come over. Most of the time is used for gaming and that can be very stressful on a drive.I would figure between everyone it runs 18 hours a day usually. I have killed a few WD Drives but only after over a years use.

In fact the last drive that failed was an eMachines OEM WD2500JS 250GB Caviar SE SATA Drive and i'd estimate i got a year and 3 months of heavy use before it started developing bad sectors. It still works, but i don't want to risk having important data where a bad sector develops.

Right now im using a 200GB WD Caviar SE SATA as my backup drive and a Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA as my primary. Seagate offers a 5 year Warranty and I want to see if they are really that good.

Another thing about giving your HD a long life is cooling, Heat is a HDs worst enemy, I Have 2 cooling fans drawing air over my drives constantly and it helps.

All in All, I think you bought a decent drive and it should perform fine for you.

Got a seagate 7200 rpm 1TB from 2 months,smoothless til now!

if it's the single platter 320GB then it's a fast drive.

I just got what I think is the 2-platter version, it's a WD 640GB SATA.

Actually, it's my 2nd one. I ordered one from Newegg a month ago...and it arrived DOA. Click-click-clicking, never seen by Windows. Went thru the whole RMA/ship back thing and finally got the new one last week. Plugged it in, flawless (so far) and quiet.

As for IDE, yeah I still use them. This 640 replaced a 160GB IDE. I still have another 320GB IDE.