Sign in to follow this  
ARCHER

Museum

Archer,

If you could have seen the Skywarrior and "Willy Fudd" in 1980 it would have made you cry. They were basket cases in a hanger at N.S. Phillidelphia, the E-1 had had a fire in the cockpit so hot it melted the side side and overhead plexiglass.

The Intrepid was no beauty either, being mothballed for about ten years. At least now she has a purpose to educate and remember.

Oh yeah,

The A-5 had a regular wing, the F-111 and F-14 are the only swing wing tacticle aircraft the US operates. But you are right, they do go fast. ;)

must admit that sub gave me chills on it, pictured all the crew at sea, cramped

hot conditions not much privicy, also the risk of radiation leakage from warheads,

and every sub the dives has that small risk off not surfacing again,the USS

Growler only spent 6 active years with the navy, the navy was going to use her for torpedo practice, but she was saved at the last min, she was sent to manhattan nyc as part of the intrepid museum, where she still remains to this this day,

heres some pics when she was on active duty

post-5-1067704754_thumb.jpg

Edited by ARCHER

there old aircraft

Douglas skywarrior

USS Intrepid is a great museum, and it is constantly improving! I've been there quite a few times, as I am just about an hour-hour 1/2 from NYC (depending on the traffic).

Maybe I have the answer for the "prop" with no name. I think it is a Grumann Tracker. They flew also on the only carrier in the Netherlands: Karel Doorman.

The other jet with no name (you called it "any?") If you had a better pic of that plane? That make the search easyer.

It looks like a great and nice museum. Thanks for the pics and promotion.

Salute

Dutchy