Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

1930s Ground Objects

I have all TK sims, so there's no problem releasing it for WOI or FE, really looking forward to all those marveloues biplanes!

Thanks. Gotta question for guys like Wrench, who place ground objects on maps. I've been fooling around with a crewman and hose for the fuel truck. Would it be better to make the hose and crewman separate, or should they be part of the truck model?

GroundObjects-52.jpg

GroundObjects-54.jpg

Part of the truck would be the easiest, from a target list standpoint...you can place it where you want, and change it's facing to have the dude with hose pointing to a parked plane. Much easier to place a singe object, than try to match up 2.

Might want to make 2 objects "FuelTruck" and "FuelTruckwDude" or something like that...

That Woody is AWSOME!!! Needs some surfboards sticking out the back, though.... :biggrin:

As to the I-152; I already have a Chinese version of it AND the 153 all done up and reskined, based on the Dev A-Team versions. I just need to find the serial numbers for the decals -- that's the only real holdup. As in what series of numbers was used; the P-26s just had single digits, the Hawk IIIs had 4 digit (2500, 2600, 2700, etc). And adjust the weathering on the I-153 -- it seems I forgot to throw mud on the main gear doors and part of the lower wing...

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, hell!! That's 50 bucks I don't have....

Looks like a good book, too!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Might want to make 2 objects "FuelTruck" and "FuelTruckwDude" or something like that...

That Woody is AWSOME!!! Needs some surfboards sticking out the back, though.... :biggrin:

As to the I-152; I already have a Chinese version of it AND the 153 all done up and reskined, based on the Dev A-Team versions. I just need to find the serial numbers for the decals -- that's the only real holdup. As in what series of numbers was used; the P-26s just had single digits, the Hawk IIIs had 4 digit (2500, 2600, 2700, etc). And adjust the weathering on the I-153 -- it seems I forgot to throw mud on the main gear doors and part of the lower wing...

That's exactly what I needed to know. Will make two versions. I'm making a few vehicles to learn the pitfalls of UV mapping compound curves - once I've figured out how to map complex shapes, I'll start the Curtiss Hawk II.

Thanks - maybe the Pearl Harbor version of the Woody could have a surfboard? :biggrin: Shot below of a reference I found for Woodies - many of them appear to have been special-built by custom contractors.

I checked my refs, and found that most Polikarpovs used by China had small serial numbers - many had no fuselage numbers at all. In the .pdf of the Polish pub you sent me, an I-153 has a small-ish 2706, while an I-15bis has an even smaller 305 on the fin.

WoodCampbell.jpg

One of my buddies said not to forget the beach bunny. :biggrin: Progress shot below...the Joe Pilot figure will have a cigarette and maybe a pet dog.

GroundObjects-57.jpg

Nice.

Edited by Dload

it will be a great addition to the game

Thanks. As I have to guess the size and proportions, I like to test them in an airfield scene based on a modified FE ground tile. Most 1930s airfields were unpaved and had a rough and ready look similar to wartime forward airfields. Have added some barracks, a maintenance shed, plus some smaller hangars and a cammo net revetment.

GroundObjects-65.jpg

GroundObjects-64.jpg

Geezer,that leaves us speechless..... :swoon:

Geezer,that leaves us speechless..... :swoon:

Thanks - it's turning out to be a very satisfying exercise that teaches me how to UV map objects of progressively greater complexity. I've delivered the updated Ford Island textures to Wrench, and I'm revising the Kaga based on better drawings provided by Hinch. Progress shots below.

GroundObjects-80.jpg

GroundObjects-76.jpg

GroundObjects-81.jpg

Geezer,

Found the word now,SUPER! :groupwave:

Brady

Geezer,

Found the word now,SUPER! :groupwave:

Brady

Thanks. Made good progress on the HQ building this morning.

GroundObjects-86.jpg

GroundObjects-88.jpg

WOW... this sim is looking more like MSFS every day - except better :good:

You might want to keep in mind that there's an object density limit after which you run into problems with destroyed models, objects not appearing, etc. (Can't remember it off hand but if you look at the Korat mod from way way back it's all one model to avoid problems)

WOW... this sim is looking more like MSFS every day - except better :good:

You might want to keep in mind that there's an object density limit after which you run into problems with destroyed models, objects not appearing, etc. (Can't remember it off hand but if you look at the Korat mod from way way back it's all one model to avoid problems)

Good point - thanks. I'm not really building a game map - though it looks that way. I'm putting together a collection of realistic ground objects for map builders - and some aircraft - and it's more fun to show them all together in a fake 3dsMax setting. We can only hope that any map builders that use this stuff will observe the density limit.