Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Fun Week Ahead

Looks like I'm going to be having alot of fun later this week. As I've mentioned a few times, I participate in these Model UN conferences arguing over international relations and trying to solve problems. I'm slated to once again travel for this a few days from now.

Would just like to share why I'm excited and why people here would be interested to hear. Currently, I'm going to be in a committee outside of the UN. I'll be representing Greece in NATO.

Our subjects of debate are the role of nato in the world, and nato expansion. Further, they are going to have Russia, Georgia and Ukraine represented without a vote. So naturally we're going to have to deal with South Ossetia, Abkhazia and the Crimea. Not to mention the situation with missiles and the Polish border. Very cool. :biggrin:

Thought people would be interested to hear, and also I was wondering if anyone knew the particular types of missiles we're planning on stationing in Poland, as what russia is. Similarly, does anyone know much of what is going on in greece's military? The research guide mentions a growing disparity between military capabilities of EU and US. While I've got alot of current stuff (like an entire order of battle) I was wondering if anyone knew if Greece was looking at joining things like the JSF program or Eurofighter, and if anyone knows whether they plan to replace the M-16s they've been using?

Looks like I'm going to be having alot of fun later this week. As I've mentioned a few times, I participate in these Model UN conferences arguing over international relations and trying to solve problems. I'm slated to once again travel for this a few days from now.

Would just like to share why I'm excited and why people here would be interested to hear. Currently, I'm going to be in a committee outside of the UN. I'll be representing Greece in NATO.

Our subjects of debate are the role of nato in the world, and nato expansion. Further, they are going to have Russia, Georgia and Ukraine represented without a vote. So naturally we're going to have to deal with South Ossetia, Abkhazia and the Crimea. Not to mention the situation with missiles and the Polish border. Very cool. :biggrin:

Thought people would be interested to hear, and also I was wondering if anyone knew the particular types of missiles we're planning on stationing in Poland, as what russia is. Similarly, does anyone know much of what is going on in greece's military? The research guide mentions a growing disparity between military capabilities of EU and US. While I've got alot of current stuff (like an entire order of battle) I was wondering if anyone knew if Greece was looking at joining things like the JSF program or Eurofighter, and if anyone knows whether they plan to replace the M-16s they've been using?

sounds very cool, my friend. I'm envious.

I'll let someone else respond on the details of the Greece military, I'm not sure where they are right now.

We are installing Anti-Ballistic Missiles in Poland to counter the Iranian regional IRBM threat to Europe in the near term and the potential Iranian ICBM threat to North America in the longer term. Read that carefully, these are ABM's which are defensive systems only. In order to make them effective, they need a target engagement radar on the threat axis, which is the proposed radar site in the Czech Republic.

As a counter to our potential deployment of defensive ABM's, the Russians are threatening to deploy a force of offensive SS-26 Iskander SRBM's (one of the types used against Georgian targets) which can be either conventionally armed or nuclear.

Hope that helps. (No politics in the above, just a statement of where things stand at present).

Edited by Typhoid

Thanks! Would you happen to know the specific model of missile we're putting in? Also, would anyone (maybe our polish friends here) have any details of how poland managed the integration to NATO with all the logistics and technical requirments in the STANAGs? like what happened with all the AKs with 7.62 or 5.45 cartridges when faced with the requirment of 5.56 rifles?

Thanks! Would you happen to know the specific model of missile we're putting in? Also, would anyone (maybe our polish friends here) have any details of how poland managed the integration to NATO with all the logistics and technical requirments in the STANAGs? like what happened with all the AKs with 7.62 or 5.45 cartridges when faced with the requirment of 5.56 rifles?

I don't know the specific model designation, no. It is the Ground Based Interceptor (GBI) built, I think, by Boeing.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/gbi.html

I think you will find that the AK was, quite smartly, constructed so that it can fire both 5.45 and 5.56 cartridges. The plan was to use western ammunition when theirs ran short during a conflict with the west. On the other side of the fence, western weapons have to have NATO spec cartridges. I also think that you will find 7.62 to be a NATO spec cartridge.

Best of luck at your conference. Also, keep in mind that what Russia has the most of is what NATO is all about defending against. Currently it is missiles and tanks. Well, it has always been missiles and tanks. NATO's interest is anti-missile and anti-tank stuff. Since Russian diplomacy is about 85% intimidation and 15% negotiation, anything that makes their foreign office have to change their ways, they are dead set against. The real issue in NATO is funding. Who is going to chip in the $$ for the toys for the boys.

Edited by Jug

I thought Greece had ordered Typhoons years back but then cancelled the order for budget reasons. F-16s and Mirage 2000s are still the most modern thing they have.

They're also unique in that their greatest rival is another NATO member instead of any outside nation.

I think you will find that the AK was, quite smartly, constructed so that it can fire both 5.45 and 5.56 cartridges. The plan was to use western ammunition when theirs ran short during a conflict with the west. On the other side of the fence, western weapons have to have NATO spec cartridges. I also think that you will find 7.62 to be a NATO spec cartridge.

Best of luck at your conference. Also, keep in mind that what Russia has the most of is what NATO is all about defending against. Currently it is missiles and tanks. Well, it has always been missiles and tanks. NATO's interest is anti-missile and anti-tank stuff. Since Russian diplomacy is about 85% intimidation and 15% negotiation, anything that makes their foreign office have to change their ways, they are dead set against. The real issue in NATO is funding. Who is going to chip in the $$ for the toys for the boys.

eh, not quite.

the AK 7.62 round is not the same as the 7.62 NATO round and the latter cannot be fired from the AK or SKS.

I also rather doubt the 5.45 AKM can fire our 5.56 cartridge. I have not heard of that being the case and does not seem likely that our slightly larger cartridge would chamber at all.

"The real issue in NATO is funding. Who is going to chip in the $$ for the toys for the boys." AMEN!!!!

I think you sound right Typhoid. I don't see how the Ak-74 series which fires a 5.45 x 39 could fire a NATO 5.56 x 45. I do know that the AK- 101 and 102 are however chambered to to the NATO 5.56 round. There is also a huge diffrence between the russian .30 cal round which is 7.62 x 39 and the NATO one which is 7.62 x 54 and also known as the 308 in domestic firearms.

I believe that Poland produce their own rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kbk_wz._1988_Tantal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kbk_wz._1996_Mini-Beryl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kbs_wz._1996_Beryl

Eraser,

there is your answer on the rifles. Poland is making their own AK variants chambered for the 5.56 NATO cartridge.

herman01, thanks. I hadn't realized the 101 and 102 were also chambered for the NATO round. No wonder Chavez is buying so many of those.......

"There is also a huge diffrence between the russian .30 cal round which is 7.62 x 39 and the NATO one which is 7.62 x 54 and also known as the 308 in domestic firearms."

yep. I have rifles chambered for each of those and I can assure anyone that the ammo for one does NOT work in the other!!

:hunter:

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm back, no awards unfortunately. The awards ceremony was basically a circle jerk of the big name ivy league schools, despite a very mixed performance by them. I did pretty well personally, particularly debating modernizing the georgian and ukrainian militaries with a aerospace weapons engineering student from the US naval academy.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm back, no awards unfortunately. The awards ceremony was basically a circle jerk of the big name ivy league schools, despite a very mixed performance by them. I did pretty well personally, particularly debating modernizing the georgian and ukrainian militaries with a aerospace weapons engineering student from the US naval academy.

??? modernize their military with a USNA engineering student?

I must be missing something...........

Sounds like you had a blast.