Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

Target Illuminating Flares

well, I'm fed up with trying vainly to bomb targets in the dark of night, so I decided to make a flare pod that would drop flares which would stay lit on the ground for ~5 minutes, just so I could light up the target a bit before blowing it to pieces.

I'd like to start with a flare pod or countermeasures pod that drops flares for AA defence purposes, and I will modify the flares so that the effect when they hit the ground is the same as when they are in the air, and it will last for a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a good starting point in the weaponspack (nothing under "misc stores"), and I can't install it to my game to check for an existing pod. I was hoping that somebody could give me a name of a pod that I could start off with, and I'll track it down in the weaponsdata. Even a bomblet dipenser will work. Thanks!

Hm, what about a rocket pod like the LAU-10? Mounted reversed you could shoot the flares - just like illuminated rockets with zero velocity - backwards.

Look for the LAU 62? and it's adjacted rocket in the Bunyaps Weapons pack.

As alternate have a look at the RF-4C of the Mirage Factory. In the weapons that have to be included there is a flare and a rocket pod that launches it.

Basicly it's a very slow rocket with a strong illumination effect, that was originally made by Deuces, as movement emitter.

There is lot of light while the rocket slowly decends.

For a groundmarker you could try to use the effect for impact.

S!

Nice to see you around Deuces, Thirdwire series would be a lot less spectacular effects wise without you.

Thanks mate.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll DL the RF-4C and modify that pod. I'll be using it on an F-4C anyway.

Nice to see you around Deuces, Thirdwire series would be a lot less spectacular effects wise without you.

Thanks mate.

Thanks Tannethal :good: ....I still lurk a bit when I have the time.

Okay, I now have a flare launcher pod that works fairly well, but I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the flare to stay lit on the ground. I was hoping that there would be a simple entry for an explosion effect, and I could just replace the explosion tga with the flare tga and increace the duration, but I haven't found anything. I might fool around with the "Effects Class" a bit though... Anybody know where the "SmallBombEffect.ini" can be found?

Also, THE RF-4C PACKAGE TAKES UP MORE SPACE THEN MY ENTIRE SFP1 INSTALL! thank goodness for external drives...

Edited by Rambler 1-1

They burn out in the air, like they're supposed to.

Just use the one in the bunypak; it works exactly as advertised...drop them from around 5000 feet, and it'll light up amost one whole terrain tile.

be advised, however...your wingmates will think they're IR CM flares, and will drop them when under attack. It's real funny to watch in the WW2 installs -- Blenheims on a night raid, pumping out flares like Atolls were after them!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Yeah, I discovered that trying to make ground flares work is but an exersize in futility. I just made the flares very light ("Parachute Retarded") so they float for about 3 minutes before burning out, enough time to turn around, nail the target and then they go out on the egress to cover my butt from the AAA.

post-28461-1227166926_thumb.jpg

Works pretty good.