Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

Adding weapons WITHOUT weaponspack

Well, is it possible to add weapons to SFP1 with patch but without a weaponspack? I'm asking mainly because my game will simply not run with a waponspack installed, but I would like to have one or two custom weapons.

However, it seems that you can't add weapons simply by taking the stock WEAPONDATA.ini and .dat files out of the Objectdata.cat and then adding or creating weapons the manual way, with the editor. So does anybody know why it's not possible to add weapons without the weaponspack, but with the pack it is possible via the same method?

If you get the .CAT extract utility, you can do that. The weapons packs have all modded Weapondata.ini files, so go to the Downloads section, the Tools & Utilities spot, and you'll find it.

Yeah, I have the CAT extracter, but I extract the WEAPONDATA.ini and .DAT files, modify them with the weapon editor, and then no weapons at all show up in the game. If I delete the extracted and modified WEAPONDATA files, the game reverts to the one in the ObjectData.cat and everything goes back to stock.

What version of the game, what version of the weapons editor?

FC

That last by FC is a biggie.

Also, all you need is the one patch for SF:P1, no need to do all the priors.

Get the latest, use the "new" weapons editor, and you're golden...

• Thanks 1

It's SFP1 with the Oct. 08 patch, but I'm using an editor from the previous patch...

I thought that might cause a problem, but it's only an ini editor, and I figured that it's probably the same post-patch. If that turns out to be the problem, I will kick myself.

say, where does one find a weapon editor for the '08 patch?

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Sorry, yeah, the one for the Sep patch is the latest.

Just don't use one from `06, it will kill your weapons capability.

And it isn't technically an INI editor. When you save it creates the weapons.dat, which is what the game reads.

well, I think I am using an '06 editor, that would explain everything.

And I always wondered what the .DAT was for...

now I'm off to find new editor and kick myself...

EDIT: Well, that was the problem. I suppose that I should make sure all of my stuff is updated before making a thread about it next time... thatnks for the help, guys!

Edited by Rambler 1-1

As many times as we say it, people STILL aren't getting it straight -- post patch game REQUIRE the post patch weapons editor.

Oddly enough, the 06 gun editor still works as advertised.

Consider the weaponsdata ini as just a listing of what weapons are available. The weaponsdata.dat file is in, well, let's just call it "machine language" that the game engine reads to fill your loadout ini.

And when extracting, you don't need to pull the weaponsdata.dat file. The weapons editor CREATES a new one everytime it's run.

I would, however, suggest creating a /Weapons folder for the new weapondatat ini and dat files, as well as a place to store all the various and sundry lods and bmps and inis.

Wrench

kevin stein

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I had been using the gun editor and I wasn't having problems, so I never really gave the Weapons Editor a second thought. A folder for the lods and bmps and inis (oh my) isn't really necessary for me, all I did was add one weapon. And I didn't know anything about the .DAT file, so I just treated it like an ini.