Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

WOV Ground War Enhancement v2.1

WOV Ground War Enhancement v2.1

Wings Over Vietnam Ground War and Targets Enhancement v2.1

by malibu43

This is an update of my original WoV ground war mod. This mod will add a "static" ground war to two new campaigns in WOV. I call them "static" because the nodes are defined in such a way that neither side can advance very far and capture the other sides base. The result is a front line that never really moves and continuous ground battles regardless of how much success (or defeat) you experience. This mod also adds VC camps and bases in South Vietnam and Laos, as well as armed recon routes moving between them. I decided to develop this after having a desire to fly campaigns in Skyraiders, F-100's, and A-7's that contained a more accurate mix of missions. I also noticed that with the game (WOV) in it's stock form, there is absolutely no reason to ever use Napalm... Vietnam with no Napalm?!?!? This mod fixes all of that...

To Install:

This is an enhancement of my original WoV ground war mod. It adds two completely new campaigns

To Install:

1. Back up your campaign folder and terrain folder if you have any mods already installed (or just do it anyway... it's a good idea!).

2. Copy Terrain folders into your WOV directory.

3. Install the following add-ons:

- Soviet Artillery: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6043

- Infantry Pack: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5350

- Mirage Factory A-7E: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6889

- Sky Raiders: Razbam Skyraiders Volume 1 and Volume 2

or

free A-1H: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=747

If you use the free A-1H, you need to open both campaign files and change A-1E, A-1J, and AD-7 to A-1H wherever necessary.

4. Drop the F-100D_data.ini in the aircraft's folder. The aircraft roles are modified to get more A/G and less A/A, which is how the F-100D was used in Vietnam. The mission radius is also reduced to keep it mainly striking targets in S. Vietnam.

5. Go into the _data.ini's for whatever Skyraiders you're using and change the normal mission radius to 350 and the max mission radius to 375. This keeps the Skyraiders limited to striking targets in the south. (sorry this isn't included, but the Razbam stuff is payware...)

NormalMissionRadius=350

MaxMissionRadius=375

6. Drop the 'campaigns' folder into your install

7. Go blow s**t up!

PM me with any questions or feedback.

Changes from 2.0 - Two new campaigns are included now instead of modifying the Rolling Thunder and Linebacker I campaigns.

Credits

- Thanks to TeTeT for the original modifications to the types and targets.ini files.

Thanks malibu43!This a very good enhancement and the update makes it even better.Congrats!

Very nice enhancement!

Updated to v2.0. See the first post for changes.
I just tried these campaigns, and I like them a lot! This is what WOV should have been like from the beginning.

Thank you for making this!

Malibu,

I noticed that in the ground war, as well as generated single missions, there are a few locations where the enamy is always facing away from the advancing US troops, and cannot turn around, resulting in very one sided firefights. These are if I remember both areas in the DMZ, as well as Area West of Da Nang'.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the units, but the VC and NVA squads seem to work fine in other locations, so I was wondering if it had to do with the map information or target placement? Any ideas?

Secondly,

I've noticed that in the game the napalm is kinda a dud. It'll drop right next to an infantry squad, and throw fireballs all over them, but unless its a near direct hit they don't get touched... Wondering if you had any ideas on modding this? I'm currently upping the amount of 'explosives' in the weapons.ini but it still doesn't cut it.

But it's a good enhancement. Better than stock possibility.

Malibu,

I noticed that in the ground war, as well as generated single missions, there are a few locations where the enamy is always facing away from the advancing US troops, and cannot turn around, resulting in very one sided firefights. These are if I remember both areas in the DMZ, as well as Area West of Da Nang'.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the units, but the VC and NVA squads seem to work fine in other locations, so I was wondering if it had to do with the map information or target placement? Any ideas?

Secondly,

I've noticed that in the game the napalm is kinda a dud. It'll drop right next to an infantry squad, and throw fireballs all over them, but unless its a near direct hit they don't get touched... Wondering if you had any ideas on modding this? I'm currently upping the amount of 'explosives' in the weapons.ini but it still doesn't cut it.

Papa Goat,

Regarding the infantry facing the wrong direction. I've never noticed that before. I would guess that it might have something to do with the way the nodes are set up, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, I won't have any time to look into it either. In all honesty, I usually just fly to the target area, find the bad guys, and destroy them without paying much attention to what's going on in the fire fight. I'll pass this along to eburger68 and see if he has any time to look at it. He's doing an upgrade to the WoV ground war pack based on the one we did for SF2V.

For the napalm, I know what you're talking about. I've messed with the explosive values before to get better results. You can easily do the same; just increase the explosives until you get results that you like. If you use the weapons editor, you'll also notice that there are other warhead types available that might result in different effects (incendiary, HE, etc..). Also, if you look around in the downloads section, there is a mod that CA_Stary did that utilized that clusterbomb warhead type. I never tried it, though.

Good luck!

Edited by malibu43