Sign in to follow this  
WDH

Just a thought...

post-16817-1228449910_thumb.jpg

Hinchinbrooke,Can you see similarity from your model to USS W.Va. BB-48 1941 coming into drydock at Pearl Harbor?Just needs another smokestack and little tweaking.Colorado BB Class is certainly close to your model.Wonderful job!

That'd be super Hinch!! The gods only know if or when a Hawaiian Islands map will appear, but thise BBs would make good targets - for either side to use. Could update the Okinawa map to have them 'in port' somewhere in the Inland Sea...or on the (as yet unfinished) Solomons map, based near Rabaul or wherever!

If possible -meaning not a lot of work- to add the aft stack, that would be cool too. These could also possibly stand in for IJN BBs, too....easy enough to reskin the flag bmp. I"ll ini dance it to add the Engine2 for smoke.

BTW, I've modded 2 of your carriers for the Marianas -- the MAC into a 'passable' CVE, and Kukolino's mod of Zuiho (CVE-118) into a CVL .... didn't come out too bad either!! They'll be included in map pak, when Baltike finishes some retiling for me.

Wrench

kevin stein

I made a Hawai map some weeks ago. Just for fun, as a test for my later Midway terrain. But it is only a beginning. Textured with WOE standard tiles, no ground targets. Only a runway near pearl and one for the japs middle in the sea.

If someone want to use it as a basic, then i will send it to him.

Wrench would be interested in that map Gepard!Might want to PM him,ok?

Edited by WDH

Well, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

WDH,

West Virginia would require cage masts and a clipper bow to get the look right...................... don't really have the time for all that right now........... maybe two weeks :biggrin:

Wrench,

I've tidied up 'Oklahoma' and given her the right number of guns for the main battery.

img00179.jpg

Hopefully, this will suffice as a paint scheme (time saver which is important). Do you want the big guns set up.................. they weren't doing a lot during the attack?

As they say "why the hell not!!!"

It's a good enough paint scheme for me! Somebody down the line can always repaint it, if needed. Big Guns would cool, if it's not too much work. They can always be used later in surface engagements ... (cough) Surigio Strait (cough)

Gepard, I'd very much like to see your version -- it's probably better than mine :biggrin:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hinchinbrooke,no problem.Those are close enough period.As a matter of FACT,their RIGHTEOUS!You can do whatever you want to do!All artist are perfectionist and are critical of their work,even though the rest of us look in awe at the work they done.Thank you,sir!

This is a community of ideas and like I said before,"Anyone's ideas is welcomed".If there something you want to add,let's hear it!No such thing as a dumb idea!Some us like a good debate as long as there's no brutal attacks because,than i'll have to go and cry. :crazy:

BTW,thank you Wrench again,again,again!

P.S.,And it's not Hawaii,it's hey-why-ee and no,ain't never over there!I'll learn youse's yet!Geez,and people make fun us hillbillies when it's those dang city slickers messin' up the Uh-mer-uh-ka lang-wich!

Well, I couldn't resist from more fiddling, so here's a faux Tennessee/Colorado thingy. If you think she's viable, I can pass along also when she's 'finished'!

Wrench,

I'll set up the guns for the 'Oklahoma'. If somebody is desperate for proper paint, I can send the models on.

FauxWVa.jpg

Sweet!That will compliment the Colorado Class BB for sure.

Guest Stiglr
Hey,what type of PBY's where in the Pearl Harbor era?Can't be the PBY-5A Catalina cuz,it wasn't build until or around 1943<---I'm guessing.And what was the B-17 model at that time,also?

B-17Cs at that time, and I believe a flight of them stumbled by at, uh, an inopportune time...but from what I remember they were unarmed (no bombs OR defensive guns!)

That terrain's looking good... but I'm wondering that for so limited a subject, you might opt for 100% scale?

Guest Stiglr
THANK YOU very much,Striglr!And I have been hand wringing all the thru this threads.Only to realize that I don't need to feel sorrowful for my any suggestions due to public ridicule is just plain ridiculous.The way I was raised,is to stand up and back up what your ideas are.Here it is,"I want to fly war machines of all nationalities because,I love flight sims,military aircraft and to blow the 'stuff' out of them!" After all,isn't the reason we play this sim?Flying Japanese planes into Pearl Harbor on a sim is a lot different than what happen in real life.Should be it be consider blaspheme,no!

Gonna get to work on this and collaboration is welcome!BTW,Wrench has great ideas as well on what he likes to see out of the Pearl Harbor and might want to consult with him as well.This isn't "my" project,it's an idea for the project.Seen,a lot of the pre-WWII planes from both countries and just put two and two together for a scenario.Don't need any credits for any ideas.Just want to here how fun it is or not.

Thanks,Brady

Glad you took that in the spirit is was intended. I never could understand why we can do any battle where "we" were successful, but when we take it on the chin, suddenly it's taboo. Or even the Japanese invasion scenario someone's mentioned. It could have happened. Highly unlikely to start the conflict, I think (a Japanese victory at Midway would be a precursor for sure!!)... but the point is, no matter how many Americans died there, it doesn't make a simulation of it taboo just because they were Americans. That's extremely disrespectful to those of any OTHER nation who ever loses a soldier. After all, ALL lives have some value, do they not?

We can play all kinds of versions of Pearl and ALSO still revere the memory of those that died in the real event.

Carry on; looks like a lot of progress has been made already.

Okay, one more shot to annoy everyone before I pass these things on to Wrench!

Pacific Fleet exercises:

PacificFleet.jpg

B-17Cs at that time, and I believe a flight of them stumbled by at, uh, an inopportune time...but from what I remember they were unarmed (no bombs OR defensive guns!)

That terrain's looking good... but I'm wondering that for so limited a subject, you might opt for 100% scale?

There some discussion on what size the terrain gonna be.And I think Wrench is doing some rework on that very thing.Gepard has a map himself and directed him to give Wrench a heads up on what he got.With these two collaborating,I think this 'Pearl Harbor Idea' will be outstanding as 'what if' or reenacted!

B-17C's and they were waiting to be fitted with guns.So,yes your right on that too! :good:

Hinchinbrooke,GOOD SHOW!And if this is what being annoyed feels like?By all means,keep annoying! :biggrin:

name='WDH' date='Dec 5 2008, 06:05 PM' post='220373'

Hinchinbrooke,GOOD SHOW!And if this is what being annoyed feels like?By all means,keep annoying! :biggrin:

No probs. They're fake, but you can't have Pearl Harbor without some battleships.

You never know, someone might build a decent Arizona/Pennsylvania.

Edited by Hinchinbrooke

SWEEET Hinch!!!! :good:

btw, as seen above, that map IS 100% scale...which begs the question:

How far off is everything else???? :dntknw:

It seems that no one has answered my question in this thread:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=34559

something else to experiment with this weekend, amidst all the skinning I'm still trying to finish off the Baltika's Midway campaign (just found out I'd NOT done enough or the right decals for the Zekes -- good thing I only made a couple numbers for each! - less to redo); the P-36s are finished and they'll be uploaded before Sunday (for historical purposes).

oh, so much to do, so much time (well, being unemployed waaaaay too much time on my hands)....motivation!!! Need more motivation!!!! :crazy:

Wrench

kevin stein

oh, so much to do, so much time (well, being unemployed waaaaay too much time on my hands)....motivation!!! Need more motivation!!!!

Wrench,I certainly no exactly what you mean there!We all have no control over losing employment unless,you get fired,quit or health matters.My last recent job before my health decided to put me in check,was a CO2 for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and Police Officer.It was a very good job and one to retire from.Once I beat this cancer and put Lupus in remission,get to go back to CO2 for TDCJ.So,enjoy your time off!I am most of the time.

Brady

Hi Guys,

Hey I would be more than happy to donate a little to this endeavor I have most of the major players (ship wise) in Pearl Harbor they are from the cfs2 Pearl Harbor project only thing is I couldn't do the 3dmax stuff like skinning, but the models can be made to max format

I have

Tennessee class

Nevada class

Pennsylvania class

Maryland class

also the cruisers

and DDs

also some of the auxiliaries

Colmak, if you can export them to the 3rd wire LOD format, and uvmap (or is it unwrap??? never quite sure...), I"m sure we can get someone to skin them

Fleet auxiliary ships is something we've BADLY needed since Day 1 ... so, you have some AO ships???

Still having some major scaling issuse, in particular with the Harbor itselft, and airfields. The damn island is just too fracking small for all those airbases!! AT least on Oahu...I haven't even looked at the Big Island or any of the other that might have had 'outlying fields'

Wrench

kevin stein

Is Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station on Oahu,rt?And was it operational in WWII era?

here is piccy of the Pennsylvania class model

Operational airfields

bellows

EWA

Haleiwa

Hickam

kaneohe

Ford

Wheeler

Edited by colmack

here is piccy of the Pennsylvania class model

Operational airfields

bellows

EWA

Haleiwa

Hickam

kaneohe

Ford

Wheeler

Any pics of the other ships???? cause this looks great and want to see more :biggrin:

Thank you Colmack!

Got father in law that was born and raised on Kailua,Oahu is about 12-15 miles away from Pearl Harbor.So,got some interesting facts coming,ok?Especially,where the AA and AAA placements are.

post-16817-1228597227_thumb.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...0/Pearlmap1.png Might check out the waypoints on Japanese fleet leading up to the attack.Now,I know that the map will consist with Oahu island but,it's a dateline on placement and movement of forementioned.

post-16817-1228597511_thumb.jpg View overlooking the attack in progress.W.Va. BB in background takes a torpedo from dive bomber.

post-16817-1228597651_thumb.jpg Oct 1941 and can see Ford Is. NAS in the middle.Just barely make out the aircraft sitting there.

More to come....