Harold, it's the value in Meters2... For example, using the table above, a Gripen would use this value "BaseRCSModifier=1.0". I suspect that TK has them all defaulted to 1.0, which would make a Buff or a Bear loom large as a mountain from the AI's perspective, once you set them to their proper values.

Hey, you two.

how would I go about putting these in my A/C DATA.INI's ??? :dntknw:

Ed,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was in meters squared.

Cool...this should make things REALLY interesting for scenarios.

SidDogg,

Go into the data.ini file, and look for the [DetectSystem] block.

Add the following line:

BaseRCSModifier= with the value in meters squared that you want.

That's it!

FC

...ALRITE! :biggrin:

...so if i understand correctly, the m2 is actually the size of the radar cross-section...

...so what are those multipliers that you just put in?

...ALRITE! :biggrin:

...so if i understand correctly, the m2 is actually the size of the radar cross-section...

...so what are those multipliers that you just put in?

For example, using the F-15A_Data.ini, we would edit it like so...

[DetectSystem]

RadarType=AIR_INTERCEPT

Reference Name=Hughes AN/APG-63

RangeUnit=NM

RadarAzimuthLimit=90

RadarElevationLimit=90

RadarSearchTime=1.0

RadarSearchRange=200

RadarSearchStrength=125

RadarTrackTime=5.0

RadarTrackRange=150

RadarTrackStrength=100

VisualBlindArc=5,6,7

VisualRestrictedArc=4L,8L

MaxVisibleDistance=8400.0

DopplerLookdown=TRUE

HasRWR=True

BaseRCSModifier=10.0

ah, i see...

...so, how did you ever come up with that particular variable anyway?

[i'd like to mod out ALL my a/c :biggrin: ]

That looks extremely useful. I would just like to know how to use it. If used right I'm assuming it would make things like MiG-23's locking on to a F-22 with radar a little harder, and F-14's tracking targets BVR much easier.

ah, i see...

...so, how did you ever come up with that particular variable anyway?

[i'd like to mod out ALL my a/c :biggrin: ]

Those are suposed to be estimated averages of the total RCS of the aircraft listed (avg frontal/front quarter/side/rear quarter RCS). I believe that I found that list at ACIG.ORG, about three years ago.

I'm going to change all the soviet planes with high RCSs, but leave the goodguys low. Buhahahahaha!

Scrapper :crazy:

Okay so now AI aircraft can fly to chase for engagment in BVR combat with radar missiles. Anybody get AI to do this from BVR distance with IR missiles or guns only?

Yes, but it depends on the skill level or experience or whatever factor affects air-to-air skill. Sometimes my wingies fire at the AIM-9's Rmax or close to it (~10nm), other times they wait until after the merge. So I guess that's technically BVR(10nm), also with the all-aspect AIM-9M.

Yes, but it depends on the skill level or experience or whatever factor affects air-to-air skill. Sometimes my wingies fire at the AIM-9's Rmax or close to it (~10nm), other times they wait until after the merge. So I guess that's technically BVR(10nm), also with the all-aspect AIM-9M.

Interesting about the skill. Never thought of that.

Actually, I mean "AI" and not restricted to the subset of AI wingpersons, and engage means fly in a behavior that will intercept the target, no matter what weapon types are loaded, even if just guns.

ie...if the AI aircraft detects a target BVR with radar, will it fly to engage with whatever weapons it has? As far as I can tell now, you can tell if the AI detects a target BVR with radar by noting if the data display indicates RHM missile attack.

...try loading without RHM and see what happens.

You need to check the aircraft data to see what BVR is. 10nm is near 20km, which should be somewhat beyond the visual detect range in stock Thudwire aircraft, and most 3rd Party mods.

BVR is anywhere beyond the defined visual detect range, and possibly also depending on skill level, which is something I hadn't considered. mmm

Also, BVR can be anything beyond, say, 500 meters if at night or in thick weather. This is what I was hoping to see for early guns only situations, not just AI BVR radar detection for radar homing missile armed aircraft.

Night BVR can be greatly increase when a target operates afterburner, or the target is caught in searchlights, or the target pulls contrails in the moonlight causing visual range to be over 50km. After the MiGs drove B-29s from the daylight sky, B-29 crews most feared their own contrails on moonlit nights. There is so much The Sims fail to model, unlike the ground war games which go far in modelling the ground war environment, and so find success in the market.