Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

HDD crash data recovering

I need some experts, my girlfriends notebook can`t boot anymore. When u start it it loads the windows loading screen and don`t go further. I tried to start in safe mode but it didn`t work also. As I start setup from the XP CD just to take a look on the hdd`s it tells me that 38147 total space and 38 146 is free. But this can`T be cause she has not deleted anything. The notebook "survived" a crash from a coutch, it runs but after restart it doesn`t boot anymore. How can I secure the data from the notebook?!

I tried to install a second windows installation on it but doesn`T work, some files couldn`t be installed on the disk. But the CD works great I think the HDD is damaged. What tools do I need load the data?! Is it possible? I think yes.

Need realy some help with this.

Thanks and best regards

Martin

There are IDE/SATA to USB drive adapters that work with both 3.5" (desktop) and 2.5" laptop drives. Get one of those, and using your PC, see if you can read the data on your GF's laptop drive.

There are IDE/SATA to USB drive adapters that work with both 3.5" (desktop) and 2.5" laptop drives. Get one of those, and using your PC, see if you can read the data on your GF's laptop drive.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

As fubar said before there are adapters to connect the HD, but if your computer is a SATA capable desktop you can connect the laptop hd directly and try to recover the data, if have any questions, PM me, this is my everyday work.

So should I open the notebook and remove the HDD`s is so easy like on desktop PC`s?? never did this on a laptop.

I asked my girlfirend if she had done something with the notebook and she answered she runs "fast NTFS format" she had no idea what this was. So is it still possible to recover the data? wich program can I use?

@Flogger23 is there a free tool to use? will looks tomorrow for a good adapter

So should I open the notebook and remove the HDD`s is so easy like on desktop PC`s?? never did this on a laptop.

I asked my girlfirend if she had done something with the notebook and she answered she runs "fast NTFS format" she had no idea what this was. So is it still possible to recover the data? wich program can I use?

Look fubar, the tool we use here is ontrack easy recovery v6.0, and it works ok, so far, (most of the licences we have here at work aren't free).

Now respect to the SATA drive, is as easy as it can be, just remove it, no need to jumper config, just remove it, and is compatible to SATA capable desktops, as i said before i'll be here if any need you have, greetings.

Ok thanks Flogger found that prog as soon as it`s ready I will run it, wish me some luck.. need it.

May the force be with you.............

My computer has Blue Screened two times since last week.

Ok I have this prog running nice one thx for info but now, I don`t want to dissamble the whole laptop, can I just turn it on, I know it wont start windows, but it`S running and connect it via USB with my PC?!

Or another idea was to boot it with linux bootable CD?! and than connect to my PC is it possible?!

-Can I recover data with my XP PC on the Linux booted laptop via USB?

Ok I have this prog running nice one thx for info but now, I don`t want to dissamble the whole laptop, can I just turn it on, I know it wont start windows, but it`S running and connect it via USB with my PC?!

Or another idea was to boot it with linux bootable CD?! and than connect to my PC is it possible?!

-Can I recover data with my XP PC on the Linux booted laptop via USB?

Look, no that i'm aware of (zero on linux), now, going back to your HDD there should be an opening to extract just the HD and is nothing difficult, i tell you this, it will be more difficult to open a desktop than remove the hdd from that laptop, but anyways is easy, just give it a shot, you have a desktop, don't you? you will see.....

I built many desktops, my machine to and know somehting about SATA stuff but notebooks are new to me "in disassembling"

SATA connector are the same for HDD in laptops and desktops, that will make your issue easier, no jumper configuration...

Anyways i wish you the best of the lucks, because i'm leaving home.

regards.

thank you again can try it tomorrow cause no tools to open it, the disk is safed with one bolt. Have to look out for some special small tools. will report if it worked!

Did she actually say she ran "fast NTFS format" on her hard drive???? One, I didn't think it would let you do that unless it was a secondary drive. Two, if that's what happened, you do indeed need drive recovery software because that erased the HD.