Sign in to follow this  
column5

IT IS ALIVE!

Where I live, I don't even have to get my cars inspected! :good:

I'll probably go with an MSD later when my wallet recovers.

Save your money. I've heard too many horror stories about MSD ignitions. You can always carry a spare HEI coil and module in your car for a few dollars... When an MSD goes, it usually means no spark at all.

BTW, my friend can fill you in on that hot setup for that beast, ignition-wise. It's good to 6500 RPM, and it costs just a few dollars more than a stock, OEM replacement.

Save your money. I've heard too many horror stories about MSD ignitions. You can always carry an extra HEI coil and module in your car for a few dollars... When an MSD goes, it usually means no spark at all.

BTW, my friend can fill you in on that hot setup for that beast, ignition-wise. It's good to 6500 RPM, and it costs just a few dollars more than a stock, OEM replacement.

Hey, that's what roadside assistance is for! Hmmm...the '74 does not seem to have On-Star tho...

But yeah, I've heard some horror stories and then I've heard people who swear by them. Really though, the way its performing with the HEI that is on it now, it may be a while before I play with the ignition.

I can definitely say to anyone thinking of buying an old car, whatever you THINK you are going to invest in it, triple it. :drag:

Truer words have never been spoken!

FC

Hey, that's what roadside assistance is for!

As the last HEI-equipped car rolled out of the factory sometime (IIRC) in 1984, I believe that short of a tow, you'd be SOL. Hell, I'm willing to bet that a sizable percentage of mechanics today have never even seen a distributor before.

I can third that on the amount of money you put into an old car. My project/daily driver is a 94 Acura Integra, B18B 1.8 liter, about 130 - 150 horse (depends on the gas I run, temp outside, etc.), I have a hi-flo header, dual exhauset (yes, I know, dual on a 4 banger, smoke comes out of both pipes when it gets cold so i dunno), performance clutch, and 215/40ZR-16 tires in the summer on some black and red rims.

The amount of money i've put into this car is easily three times the $1500 USD I paid for it. The list above doesn't even include exterior flash (Z3 fenders, altezza lights, pretty blue light for the dome) :)

I can third that on the amount of money you put into an old car. My project/daily driver is a 94 Acura Integra, B18B 1.8 liter, about 130 - 150 horse (depends on the gas I run, temp outside, etc.), I have a hi-flo header, dual exhauset (yes, I know, dual on a 4 banger, smoke comes out of both pipes when it gets cold so i dunno), performance clutch, and 215/40ZR-16 tires in the summer on some black and red rims.

The amount of money i've put into this car is easily three times the $1500 USD I paid for it. The list above doesn't even include exterior flash (Z3 fenders, altezza lights, pretty blue light for the dome) :)

Gots to keep in mind that it is a labor of love. Money comes and goes, but a 'vette, once owned and driven, is right there in your heart forever...................even when its a station wagon, bitchin spouse, and rowdy kids......................it is still there doin a low crawl to a deep throaty tune.

Gots to keep in mind that it is a labor of love. Money comes and goes, but a 'vette, once owned and driven, is right there in your heart forever...................even when its a station wagon, bitchin spouse, and rowdy kids......................it is still there doin a low crawl to a deep throaty tune.

You obviously speak from experience. :wink:

There's nothing quite like the view from the driver's seat of a C3, looking out over those fenders...

Finally after more trials and tribulations than I care to describe, the car is back home with the new engine.

carhome.jpg

The amount of power on tap is certainly eye opening. Now I have to do a lot fo work under the hood to make it look pretty. All of the cables and hoses need to be replace with braided stuff and some wiring needs to be cleaned up. It never ends...

nice one!!!! rebuilding now a MX-5 NB 98` with a really small block 1.9L and 140hp but still nice to drive, rebuilding all stuff, dumper new, all chassis elements new, motorparts new. rebuilding interior and new door parts ... cause of an accident. I know how happy you are when the stuff runs like you want it to run!

Good work some sound files would be great!

Work on making the handling of the car godly. That is where the Roadster/MX-5/Miata is supposed to shine. That is kind of car that doesn't need more than 200hp to really shine (kind of like the OH SO GODLY 83-85 Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno/what the West calls the Corolla GTS).

c5: Nice Vette. Looks amazing despite the age.

Edited by kct