Sign in to follow this  
column5

IT IS ALIVE!

My new 383 was brought to life on the dyno yesterday!!!

Getting ready to run...

engine.jpg

And the results...

powa.jpg

nice one!!!! rebuilding now a MX-5 NB 98` with a really small block 1.9L and 140hp but still nice to drive, rebuilding all stuff, dumper new, all chassis elements new, motorparts new. rebuilding interior and new door parts ... cause of an accident. I know how happy you are when the stuff runs like you want it to run!

Good work some sound files would be great!

Nice looking engine!!! Gotta LOVE them small blocks!!! :ok:

That is a nice flat torque curve...consistent all the up the RPM range.

outstanding V/E!! 90+%!!!

but isn't the 10:1 AF just a little lean??

When that's back in your Vette....it's gonna be a major asphalt burner!!!

Cool stuff, man!!

Wrench

kevin stein

but isn't the 10:1 AF just a little lean??

You know I am not sure on that...the owner of the shop told me it was actually running a little rich during the testing, I suppose due to the Holley 850 test carb. It'll have a vacuum secondary 770 cfm Street Avenger on it when it goes in the car (which hopefully is happening even as I type this).

Edelbrock heads? Whats the compression ratio?

Brodix IK200s...9.5:1 comp ratio.

C5,

Very nice work...old school Chevy power...457 hp!

FC

Ja and we only ran it up to 5500 rpm. I suspect the peak hp is about 460 @ 6000 rpm. :good:

I can hear it now.

I can hear it now.

It was pretty melodious, I can tell you. Damn loud running with open headers, too, even though the exhaust was being piped out of the building. :crazy:

C5, the carb in the image is a vacuum secondary carb. Did you dyno it with a different carb (ie, double-pumper)?

C5, the carb in the image is a vacuum secondary carb. Did you dyno it with a different carb (ie, double-pumper)?

Did two sets of runs, one with the vac sec and the other with a double pumper. The mech sec numbers are the ones I posted. I got more of an education that I ever wanted on how vacuum secondaries interfere with the dyno.

It was pretty melodious, I can tell you. Damn loud running with open headers, too, even though the exhaust was being piped out of the building. :crazy:

Oh yeah, nice.....I like loud. You should hear my truck with the MagnaFlows on it.

Well, now you need to go through the rest of the drive train. I'd recommend that you go with a suitably beefed-up Turbo 700-R4, with a high-stall speed TC, and a set of 3.70s. You'll need the dig from the 3.70s to keep you in the power band at low speeds, and the fourth (OD) gear on the 700 will bring the Revs down at highway speed, otherwise, you'll be taching about 2800-3000 RPM at 65 mph. From experience, I can tell you that the largest tires that'll fit under the fenders of a C3 'Vette, are 28"H x 11"W, or 275/60/15s.

Well, now you need to go through the rest of the drive train. I'd recommend that you go with a suitably beefed-up Turbo 700-R4, with a high-stall speed TC, and a set of 3.70s. You'll need the dig from the 3.70s to keep you in the power band at low speeds, and the fourth (OD) gear on the 700 will bring the Revs down at highway speed, otherwise, you'll be taching about 2800-3000 RPM at 65 mph. From experience, I can tell you that the largest tires that'll fit under the fenders of a C3 'Vette, are 28"H x 11"W, or 275/60/15s.

Yep, I've already put the 3.70s in. That was a lot of fun to do without a lift, trying to chest-press the pumpkin up into place. I also had my Turbo 400 rebuilt with a shift kit which will have to do for a while.

Probably go with the Firestone Indy 500s when I wear out the current set. There just isn't a lot to choose from in that size.

Yep, I've already put the 3.70s in. That was a lot of fun to do without a lift, trying to chest-press the pumpkin up into place. I also had my Turbo 400 rebuilt with a shift kit which will have to do for a while.

Probably go with the Firestone Indy 500s when I wear out the current set. There just isn't a lot to choose from in that size.

BFG Radial T/As...despite the lack of a speed rating, I can tell you that they hold up well at 130+ MPH :biggrin: And, my last set went almost 60K miles.

My friend's brother has a Gen 2 F-body (a '79 Z28) that he stuffed a healthy 454 into. He runs the stock 3.08 gear set (it was originally an automatic), with an M-21 four speed, and Radial T/As.

I've been with that lunatic when he's hit 6400 RPM in fourth gear, which translates to 160+ mph. At that speed, the car was doing the "death wobble", as too much air was getting underneath the car, causing the front end to wobble left/right :blink:

BFG Radial T/As...despite the lack of a speed rating, I can tell you that they hold up well at 130+ MPH :biggrin: And, my last set went almost 60K miles.

I've heard that the trade-off with those is that on a wet road your traction approaches zero. Any thoughts?

I've heard that the trade-off with those is that on a wet road your traction approaches zero. Any thoughts?

They are a ton better in the wet than the OEM Good Year Eagle LSs that my ride came with. Despite the increased foot print (275 vs 255), I'd say that my wet weather traction is superior at highway speed. They are noiser, though.

They are a ton better in the wet than the OEM Good Year Eagle LSs that my ride came with. Despite the increased foot print (275 vs 255), I'd say that my wet weather traction is superior at highway speed. They are noiser, though.

That is absolutely sweet looking. You know you have more disposable income than you have good sense, right? My wife overruled my 'vette rehab for a new sofa for the living room. The only rumble you hear from it smells bad............................

That is absolutely sweet looking. You know you have more disposable income than you have good sense, right? My wife overruled my 'vette rehab for a new sofa for the living room. The only rumble you hear from it smells bad............................

ROTFLMAO :rofl:

I can definitely say to anyone thinking of buying an old car, whatever you THINK you are going to invest in it, triple it. :drag:

Here's my Buddy's '79 L82, with 275/60/15 Hoosiers (not really DOT approved), on 15x8 Minilite rims.

gm-corvette-lg.jpg

I just had a thought...

we need a 'drooling out of jealously' smilie!!!! :rofl:

There's many a day I miss my 69 Camaro. I can definately remember that 'death wobble' at 118 mph...the F bodys most assuredly need some kind of front air dam.

Ah, the days of unrestricted horsepower!!!

9.5:1 is a great choice....keeps you on 'pump gas'! Recurved stock HEI setup, or one of the aftermarket MSD units?

Wrench

kevin stein

ps: good thing you're not in Cali, what with all our smog laws!!! :rolleyes:

9.5:1 is a great choice....keeps you on 'pump gas'! Recurved stock HEI setup, or one of the aftermarket MSD units?

The octane requirement for 9.5:1 (depending on how much spark advance you're running) will fall around 92-93, on a carbureted engine.

Retroffiting TPI-EFI from a late 80's smallblock (and running a knock sensor), would allow you to run 87 in a pinch, but who wants to get involved with that nightmare? Especially since the factory EFI plenums stop breathing past 4800-5000 RPMs.

ps: good thing you're not in Cali, what with all our smog laws!!! :rolleyes:

Where I live, I don't even have to get my cars inspected! :good:

My distributor is a weird thing. The 1974 Corvette was the last year with a mechanical tach, and also the last year for the points ignition. So, I was able to find an HEI distributor with a mechanical tach drive, and that is what I am using now. I'll probably go with an MSD later when my wallet recovers.

The octane requirement for 9.5:1 (depending on how much spark advance you're running) will fall around 92-93, on a carbureted engine.

The aluminum heads should also give some headroom in that area. The heat dissipation is so amazing that I was able to comfortably touch the steel valve covers almost immediately after shutting the engine off after our testing.