Sign in to follow this  
Badger Lead

some info for a new guy

long, long ago, I spent waaaay too much time out of my childhood in front of Fighters Anthology, making missions and what not, that game was awesome with all the different planes you could fly. I've played a few flight sims here and there since then, like the IL-2 series and FS 2002, but nothing recaptured the feeling of freedom I got from FA. Then I stumbled upon an article on SimHQ.com about the Wings series, and I'm interested. What do you guys think? Would I like these games? Also, will they run on my computer? I can run any of the Il-2 1946 at the 2nd highest settings and they run ok as long as there isn't a 50+ plane fight.

wings over xxxx are realy fun with many plane on air,up to 50 at same time

in a campaing, you never know the futur, flight are some time easy,or an will be a nightmare

the IA is actualy very good

dogfight are vicius with first eagle

it's not a simulator of a plane but a simulator of spirit of air combat

christian

Badger,

if it can run on my piece of junk, one foot in the grave Dell Dimension 4400 it can run on whatever you use most likely!

These games are really nice, only a true flight sim snob would dismiss them out of hand. Want challenges? Try getting through a tour flying Thuds up North in WOV without losing sleep sometimes. Or taking the Hawker Hunter into battle in WOE.

Get em and enjoy!

Nuff said,

Cater

:biggrin:

Edited by Lt. James Cater

well, here's my old man of a computer:

pentium 4 at 1.6 ghz

ATI radeon 9600 128 meg

768 megs RAM

what do you think?

well, it will work, but will suffer from latest patch

it will run fine for vanilla install

Sadly (for you) patches brought in new effects that require a bit more power from CPU and video card....so I'm not sure how it will behave after patching

what screen resolution do you run?

well, it will work, but will suffer from latest patch

it will run fine for vanilla install

Sadly (for you) patches brought in new effects that require a bit more power from CPU and video card....so I'm not sure how it will behave after patching

what screen resolution do you run?

1024/768, usually. I'm not picky.

I agree with Sony, since installing the newest patch I had to reduce my settings to medium. The game still rocks though

Your ram might be the limiting factor here. I've had the ThirdWire series run just fine on a laptop with lower specs...you just have to turn down the eye candy a bit.

In a lot of ways, the ThirdWire series is considered the spiritial successor to Jane's Fighters Anthology. The main differences would include that the ThirdWire series doesn't come with a lot of aircraft out of the box, but that is filled by 3rd party aircraft that are available for free, and that the available mission editors for the ThirdWire series pale to what was available in Fighters Anthology.

However, the spirit is there in terms of the sim being very accessible, and having a large community of players.

FC

Your ram might be the limiting factor here. I've had the ThirdWire series run just fine on a laptop with lower specs...you just have to turn down the eye candy a bit.

In a lot of ways, the ThirdWire series is considered the spiritial successor to Jane's Fighters Anthology. The main differences would include that the ThirdWire series doesn't come with a lot of aircraft out of the box, but that is filled by 3rd party aircraft that are available for free, and that the available mission editors for the ThirdWire series pale to what was available in Fighters Anthology.

However, the spirit is there in terms of the sim being very accessible, and having a large community of players.

FC

that's fine, I don't mind turning things down, just want a playable frame rate. So what should I buy?

Well, probably start with Strike Fighters Gold (SFG) from the ThirdWire website. It's only 10 bucks and can be patched (if it isn't already) to the level all the other games in the series are patched to. And/or check the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores around the area...I picked up SFG for 99 cents that way.

Anyway, try it out, add some mods, and if you don't like it, the worse case is you're out 10 bucks...hell, you'll blow that much seeing one of those overpriced Hollyweird flicks and get far less entertainment out of it.

FC

The thing is - all the games can be patched to the same level. SF Gold now has the same engine as Wings Over Israel thanks to the new patch. The difference is the stock aircraft - terrains and ground objects. You simply have to decide which version most interests you.

All add on aircraft will work with any version of the game. However - if you are interested in props - only patch to the 06 level. The newest patch has messed up the flight models of prop aircraft and they will have to be redone in order to work properly.

All thirdwire games uses a common format, and with the new patches everything works with every game (Admittedly some of the older mods need updating but they still work)

And I run my games (fully patched)on a laptop with similar specs, with everything set to medium (except for shadows which I turn off)

Also the enhanced explosion packs put a lot of strain on it, so you should probably avoid those

how do I know which planes will work with Strike Fighters Gold? All the ones I see are in one big group.

Welcome aboard Badger Lead!

Almost all planes found in download section works well in Strike Fighters Gold! Very few requires the game patched to latest (october) patch, majority work without problems. Also few are versions for specific WoX game, but it's ussually stated in the description.

Only those WW1 crates for "First Eagles" won't fly in SFG most cases (ok, they do, after some ini tweaks)

edit: CrimsonRoamer was faster

Edited by CA_Stary

does the game have a mission editor?

No, but there are at least two third-party ones out there, though.