Sign in to follow this  
quack74

RNAS no10 sq Camels

LOL! Just how sad an individual am I? It's approaching midnight and the new year...Everyone's partying, and here I am discussing colours and markings of aeroplanes of 90 odd years ago! :no:

I'm kinda assuming that the red and blue a/c belonged to separate flights, but there are too few photos of the red machines of 9/209 sqn (three, including Brown's I think!) to be able to make any definite statements regarding 209's red painted Camels, so yeah, maybe you should just do Roy Brown's, then do the blue ones instead.

You've seen this pic of Roy Brown and his Camel, yeah?:

http://www.earlyaviator.com/archive/1w/images/Brown_sop.jpg

Regarding the engines, Les Rogers, in his book 'Sopwith Camel Squadrons' says:

"The 'decorated' period is believed to have started when the squadron came under Naval control in September 1917 and ceased in February 1918 on return to Dover for rest and refit'

Therefore, although I'm not 100% sure, I would say that like the Naval 10 Camels, the 130hp would be more accurate for Naval 9 at that time.

7 minutes to midnight...Gonna get smashed now...HAPPY NEW YEAR! :dance:

Edited by Southside Bucky

Almost forgot!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping::biggrin::yahoo::salute::groupwave::drinks::drinks::drinks: :drinks_drunk: :drinks: :drinks_drunk: :drinks::yahoo:

Think I over did it? :biggrin:

As an educated guess, I would say that No.9 squadron RNAS used the same colour distinctions between the Flights that No.10 squadron used (Black, Red and Blue) but not necessarily in the same order. I've never seen a Black No.9 RNAS Camel.

Can't find anything to confirm that this was carried over into No.209 squadron but I could have been. The Les Rogers book does make a comment that it was "B" Flight that "painted up" their aircraft. That would make "B" Flight blue (?).

LloydNB

What I really need to know first is, did Roy Brown's flight of Camels all have red noses and red and white tails? I know they had personal markings on the upper wing so I just want to know the general markings of that flight of 209sqn. Was Brown a part of an "A" flight, "B" flight, etc? I ask this because I know no.10 RNAS had 3 flights, "A" black, "B" red, and "C" blue. So did no.209sqn have an "A" flight red, and "B" flight in blue? Was Roy Brown in "A" flight w red nosed camels?

If there was a flight line photo of Roy Browns flight, would they all have red noses and red and white tails and red wheel discs? Forget the personal markings for now because I dont think anyone knows for sure.

In one of the above posts I have a picture of RoyBrowns Camel from 209 RAF. If I removed the upper wing stripes could this Camel be used in the game under 209 sqn RAF???? The German Jastas all have a general scheme to them even though that wasn't always the case. So I think creating a general skin for 209sqn and 9sqn should work ok. I can do personal skins later to add to the Squadron. Just like I did for the Fokker Dr.1's. Anybody agree? I would like to add some color to the RAF Camels. I'm all done with No.10 sqn. So I'll probably post them tomorrow.

Again, thank you all, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Was Brown a part of an "A" flight, "B" flight, etc?

2. If there was a flight line photo of Roy Browns flight, would they all have red noses and red and white tails and red wheel discs?

3. The German Jastas all have a general scheme to them even though that wasn't always the case. So I think creating a general skin for 209sqn and 9sqn should work ok. I can do personal skins later to add to the Squadron. Just like I did for the Fokker Dr.1's. Anybody agree?[/b]

Quick answers:

1. Yes. All British Squadrons were divided into flights.

2. No one knows for sure, but my best guess would be that they might have had red cowlings and wheels, but fins, tailplane and elevators would have all been different. Also, IMO, some would've had the entire metal area behind the cowling painted red like Brown's, and some would've had just a red cowling.

3. Yeah, You could just create a generic flight, but personally, I would not have the red/white painted tail and elevators...Maybe just the fin in red?

Here are all the photos of (possibly) red painted Naval 9 Camels I have:

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/17197

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/17198

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/17199

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/17200

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/17201

Bear in mind they were all taken at different times. The first one, with the numbers on the fins is very late war, apparently.

Just go with what you think looks best, I reckon. :good:

Edited by Southside Bucky

Well they're all different thats for sure :sorry: Oh well. All of No.9 were different too. I could do a generic skin for both and do some with personal markings. Would that be ok? Because in the single mission section if you select "Normal" or "Heavy" you could have up to 16 aircraft. The personal skins are only about 4-6. Need something to fill in the rest of the spaces. (other than the stock Camel)

...I could do a generic skin for both and do some with personal markings. Would that be ok?

:yes: Yeah, go for it!

Just as a FYI, maybe for future reference: Within a British squadron during the last year or so of the war, a flight would usually consist of eight a/c. That's not to say that ALL a/c would be available on any given day...Some would be held as reserve machines and some might be out of use due to maintainance.

Normally, 'A' flight would be marked A-H, 'B' flight J-Q (usually, but not invariably omitting 'I' & 'O'), and C flight R-Z.

Good info there bucky. :good: Once again your full of helpful knowledge.

I'm posting my No.10 RNAS Camels now. I know they are not 100% perfect, but they'll due just fine.

And I'm posting four camels for each flight with personal markings.

Hope you guys like'em. Took a long freakin time :stars::shout: .

Please feel free to comment on any of them when downloaded. I can take it :wink:

quack74,

These are great skins! I love the weathering. On behalf of the people who download but who may not post, I thank you!

Yeah...Top notch! :clapping:

The ONLY thing that I could suggest as a small improvement would be to the 'B' flight Camel with the "Atom" wheels. You had it right originally with the full striping all round the cowling and rear decking.

Also, d'you know if it's possible to match the wheels with the correct serial number? "Atom" wheels for example should be serial No. B6299. Not that I expect you to do that...Maybe those that want to, could do it for themselves?

Well done Quack...Looking forward to the Naval 9's! :ok:

Thanks again for the name check in the read me too.

Bucky

I have the skin for the "B" flight with the Atom wheels with full stripes. I'll post the skin files needed as a patch. As far as the numbers go I just let the game manage the numbers. Only because I didnt know any of them at the time. I could make the number for the "B" flight w/ the atom wheel covers I guess. I'll add that with the patch. Thks Bucky :good:

Quack,

I too just wanted to say "THANK YOU", your work on here is --well in my opinion "INCREDIBLE". I like so many others here truly appreciate all your hard work, you make First Eagles a better game with each new installment,and that goes for everyone on here who has added skins or missions ,flight models etc. I believe everyones involvement has made this game what it is today. I again thank you and as always look forward to your next project.

Yours Respectfully,

VonTobler