Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Indian Air Force Phalcon AWACS arrives in India

The Indian Air Force's newest force-multiplier, the first of three 'Phalcon' Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW) aircraft landed quietly in New Delhi on Sunday.

Confirming this, senior IAF officials said that the aircraft was at Delhi's Palam technical area airport on a stopover from Israel. It was inspected by senior air force brass, including Air Chief Marshal Fali Major before heading out to Agra. The aircraft are to be based in Agra and form part of a new AEW squadron.

The induction of the Phalcon comes as a tremendous force multiplier in the present standoff between India and Pakistan. "It can help monitor the military build-up, troop and aircraft movements nearly 200 km inside Pakistan while flying nearly 100 km inside your own territory," says Air Marshal A.K. Goel (retd)

The only platforms offering such a capability, albeit a limited one, are the spy planes of the R&AW's Aviation Research Centre and the IAF's fleet of Israeli-built Heron and Searcher-II drones.

The aircraft can do this using its Israeli-built AEW mission suite called the Phalcon, mounted on a Russian-built IL-76 transport aircraft. The system is used for tactical surveillance of airborne and surface targets and intelligence gathering to a radius of over 400 km. The solid-state phased array Elta EL/M-2075 radar is mounted on a radome above the fuselage. The electronically steered beam provides a 360 degree coverage around the aircraft and it carries air force personnel on board to analyse the data and steer fighter aircraft.

"AEWs have a three-fold advantage of flexibility-they can be deployed anywhere, provide much better coverage because they are mounted on an elevated platform and carry control systems and datalinks, which can be used to vector your own fighter aircraft," says Air Marshal V.K. Bhatia, former western air commander.

India has signed a $ 1.1 billion deal for three Phalcons with Israel in 2004. The first aircraft were to be delivered last year but delayed by a few months. All deliveries are to be completed by next year.

The IAF is keen on acquiring three more Phalcons and with negotiations said to be in an advanced stage, the deal is likely to be signed sometime this year.

Can't wait for the pics :yahoo:

sounds pretty suite

:biggrin:

I'd love to take a hop in that one!

congrats on getting them!!

1 done, 2 to go :))

I've not seen Phalcon on a Il-76 yet I don't think, weren't they always mounted on 707s or something so far?

I've not seen Phalcon on a Il-76 yet I don't think, weren't they always mounted on 707s or something so far?

The IAF Phalcon AWACS undergoing test flights in Israel.

94014_1221398188.jpg

The IAF Phalcon AWACS undergoing test flights in Israel.

94014_1221398188.jpg

I've seen it flying over my head few times.

Cheers.

I've seen it flying over my head few times.

Cheers.

Ever saw one in Indian AF markings?

Ever saw one in Indian AF markings?

It was a little too far for me to see the markings, but I did see the plane, thats for sure.

not a that bad of a bump to share this

i saw one of them today in the IAI compound

i recognized it only but the tail but then saw the rest of him, looks good!! :)