This has probably been thought of before, but is it possible to add a working IFOLS to the carriers?

It sure would make it easier to get back aboard (not that there isn't a lot of slop in the game, but it'd help at night when you can barely see the ship as it is).

As of now, there is no working 'ball' for TW games. Would be a nice feature I admit (along with added flight deck activity). Trying to land at night is pretty much guess work and using 'F' keys.

Roger, Hinch.

Although, I did go back to look at some addons in the meantime. Anyone know if the Digital Overload CVN-75 has a working meatball? It looks like it does, but perhaps the things needed to make it work, won't work in TW games. Anyone know for sure?

Otherwise, the only problem I see to adding the lights is actually getting the source to move with changes in glidepath - or some way of having a light appear in the correct position. Otherwise, one could add a bunch of stationary red and green lights to the IFOLS, no problem.

Roger, Hinch.

Although, I did go back to look at some addons in the meantime. Anyone know if the Digital Overload CVN-75 has a working meatball? It looks like it does, but perhaps the things needed to make it work, won't work in TW games. Anyone know for sure?

Otherwise, the only problem I see to adding the lights is actually getting the source to move with changes in glidepath - or some way of having a light appear in the correct position. Otherwise, one could add a bunch of stationary red and green lights to the IFOLS, no problem.

its just there. It is not a working ball.

its just there. It is not a working ball.

I only wondered about this today.

Really should be implemented, especially for WOV.

Yet another slap in the face for realism in the 3rdwire series. When oh when will we get what we demand and deserve? We demand balls! Now to spam other forums with this message...

:wink:

Yet another slap in the face for realism in the 3rdwire series. When oh when will we get what we demand and deserve? We demand balls! Now to spam other forums with this message...

If u want balls, there are plenty of other sites out there to find them, LMAO

I also want to see PAPI/VASI in the game as well. Dunno if that would be possible. Might be easier since they don't move....

If u want balls, there are plenty of other sites out there to find them, LMAO

Takes one to know one.

We demand balls!

I'm not even going to, er, touch that line...............

Edited by Typhoid

I also want to see PAPI/VASI in the game as well. Dunno if that would be possible. Might be easier since they don't move....

I asked TK about that one time. There is no provision at this point for glideslope which would be needed first to be able to implement the VASI ashore or Fresnel Lens at sea. That works in MSFS (VASI and glideslope ashore only) but not yet supported in the Thirdwire series - and not likely to ever make it above the cut line.

I wonder if it would be possible to make mechanically.

All you really need is the light bar and ball to be different distances from the aircraft, with the ball 'behind' the light bar...lined up so that when you're on glideslope, the sights are aligned. In theory, the ball should be 'low' if you're low and high if your high. There wouldn't be any wave off capability of course...but for simple glideslope guidance...

Give me a few days and I may be able to come up with a PAPI for land use. It probably wouldn't be very bright though...

FC

The only ball I ever needed for landing on a carrier was my own ball. (well...the two of them.) :rofl: :rofl:

14951493149415121508149014931506149.jpg

:crazy: :crazy: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Doesn't YAP have it? Link: -HERE-

I thought I saw one working in a video about YAP.

Doesn't YAP have it? Link: -HERE-

I thought I saw one working in a video about YAP.

Dude smile

When I made a carrier for FS9 (before the series got a working ball) I basically did it by putting some point lights in angled boxes. It's not perfect but it does a pretty good job, if TK would let us attach lights to ground units it should be possible to use the same technique. Obviously it'd involve adding stuff to the source model but once a standard shape was made it could be copied to each model.

I wonder if it would be possible to make mechanically.

All you really need is the light bar and ball to be different distances from the aircraft, with the ball 'behind' the light bar...lined up so that when you're on glideslope, the sights are aligned. In theory, the ball should be 'low' if you're low and high if your high. There wouldn't be any wave off capability of course...but for simple glideslope guidance...

Give me a few days and I may be able to come up with a PAPI for land use. It probably wouldn't be very bright though...

FC

intriguing ideas. But will it show the hi-low movement?

If you did it the way FC is suggesting, it should show the movement - ball low when you're low, and vice versa. The question is, will it show enough movement to be accurate? I'm wondering how the movement is affected by the ball being closer or father behind the datums and also how your distance to the datums (from your aircraft) affects movement. We should arrange it so that the closer you get, the more sensitive it becomes, but I'll need to take a few minutes and use some (gasp) brain cells to wrap my head around this one.

The tricky part would be determining the appropriate distance for the ball to be behind the datums, and of course, figuring out the correct glidepath for the centered ball condition.

SKippyBing's suggestion about the angled boxes also seems practical - at least if we could get them into the ship models. If we can, it should work out nicely.

Edited by gbnavy61

VASI's /PAPI's don't move, nor do they have an electronical components. AFAIK, they are only beams of light. Either you're on the proper glidepath, or you aren't. If FC is doing what I think he might, it would involve creating basically 2 boxes with lights emitting at certain angles. I think the tough part would be blocking the light emitters in certain areas so that the light comes out at the proper angles....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Approach_Slope_Indicator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_App..._Path_Indicator

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...p2/aim0201.html

VASI's /PAPI's don't move, nor do they have an electronical components. AFAIK, they are only beams of light. Either you're on the proper glidepath, or you aren't. If FC is doing what I think he might, it would involve creating basically 2 boxes with lights emitting at certain angles. I think the tough part would be blocking the light emitters in certain areas so that the light comes out at the proper angles....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Approach_Slope_Indicator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_App..._Path_Indicator

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...p2/aim0201.html

yes - well aware of that. The comment on movement refers to the changing visual indication as the aircraft goes below and above glide path.

Yeah, VASI would be the easier to accomplish I think (over PAPI).

hello all,

I think it is pretty easy to simulate it in WOX engine

here is my suggestion:

post-255-1233177051_thumb.png

it will look like this if you are too high:

post-255-1233177075_thumb.jpg

too low:

post-255-1233177104_thumb.jpg

correct:

post-255-1233177037_thumb.jpg

perspective view of the model:

post-255-1233177232_thumb.jpg

no animation is needed, so if anybody would like to try to model it

I can help a little (and test is in game :-) )

monty