Sign in to follow this  
smerrick14

Terrain Following Radar

Gday All,

Does anyone know if its possible to change the way the wing leveler feature works, to make it act as a terrain following radar? I don't have any modding knowledge of the SF series, but I am interested to see if it can be done.

I am guessing there might be a way to take the radar alt inputs and have them drive the pitch attitude of the jet to fly level over the ground.

Regards

Mez

Not at the moment.

There is a TF mode in the dll, but it isn't currently enabled.

FC

You know, one thing TK's AI programming does GREAT is terrain avoidance.

I'd say maybe try going on "autopilot" and let the AI handle it. Watch the AI do its stuff and its very dramatic, like you read about early TF planes giving aircrew a rough ride. TK's AI will do exactly that! :yes: Just keep throttle high so the AI has enough energy to do its stuff in hilly terrain. You can still use the radar and video thing for the video guided weapons, and take control from the AI when you get target in sight or on radar.

...um...all that assumes the mission waypoints get the AI to the target of course.

um...no...AI has its own throttle settings. This can be tweaked somewhat, but I do know that AI will engage afterburner in terrain avoidance, so maybe the AI will use full throttle if needed even without an afterburner.

ANYWAYS it may be worth doing some lab experiments with.

Gday All,

Does anyone know if its possible to change the way the wing leveler feature works, to make it act as a terrain following radar? I don't have any modding knowledge of the SF series, but I am interested to see if it can be done.

I am guessing there might be a way to take the radar alt inputs and have them drive the pitch attitude of the jet to fly level over the ground.

Regards

Mez

If you need a tutorial on how to fly at low level, I can do one up man. I've been doing low level mountain work since EF2000 and really my pride is wanting to be rude about it, but I can work one up based on what you fly (if I have the aircraft).

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping there might be a solution down the track somewhere. I love the TW series, it would be awesome if i could use the jet (in particular the pig) at low level at night, which that machine in particular does V. Well indeed.

Eric, if is possible can I request a low level flight for the F/A-18C please?

Eric, if is possible can I request a low level flight for the F/A-18C please?

I'm using the A version, matter of fact I started it up last night. I got the peectures done, need to do the particular text for it.

Okay what specific issues do you have regarding the Hornet? It's fast, maneuverable... I don't know what you're looking for Stratos really. As far as the Pig... I would (I use the A version mostly) set your gunsight to ground attack mode and use the bottom of the sight as the "bottom" of your aircraft (works well for most Russian aircraft too). I fly routinely like that and no issues. Unfortunately NVGs aren't modelled so not to be rude, but you're gonna have to turn up the brightness of your monitor :dntknw:

But here's something rough to get the ball rolling Stratos. I'd really like some input as there's a wide variety of topics to go over. Well I have some more but not sure if you want it specific.

LLFWOX.zip