Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Clouds and explosions

So, since I started using the new patch, the stock clouds and effects have done a number on my FPS. Smoke from explosions and factories have also done a number, which makes me amazed that the Phantom's smoke trails haven't. Even on low settings. What INI could I edit to help with this so I'm doing better than 5FPS during a bombing raid?

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

So, since I started using the new patch, the stock clouds and effects have done a number on my FPS. Smoke from explosions and factories have also done a number, which makes me amazed that the Phantom's smoke trails haven't. Even on low settings. What INI could I edit to help with this so I'm doing better than 5FPS during a bombing raid?

Viggen, using the CAT extractor, extract from your FlightData.cat file "particlesystem.ini",

and try lowering the values in red:

[ParticleSystem]

MaxParticlesPerEmitter=512

MaxEmitters=2048

MaxEffects=1024

MaxFields=128

AdditionalEffectsFolder=Effects

it's on top of the file, reduce them by half:

[ParticleSystem]

MaxParticlesPerEmitter=256

MaxEmitters=1024

MaxEffects=512

MaxFields=128

AdditionalEffectsFolder=Effects

As for clouds, maybe try removing/renaming "environmentsystem.ini" from flight folder, DS mod has Widesky version included if i'm not mistaken

Viggen just out of curiousity what vid card are you using

I don't even know the specs of my PC Viper. Where could I find them?

I don't even know the specs of my PC Viper. Where could I find them?
Start, Run, then type;dxdiag you will see tabs at the top open display and you will see your card

Not sure if this is right but: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

And the clouds, and now the F-4's smoke trails, are causeing most of the problems.

Not sure if this is right but: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

And the clouds, and now the F-4's smoke trails, are causeing most of the problems.

is that in the display tab?

turn down the ini for the smoke emitter for the exausts as Stary recommended.

I already have. Didn't work so well, so I'll need to again.

Yes
then you have on-board graphics which are not as good as a 'card' if you have a slot on your motherboard for a card; AGP,PCI or PCI-Express then you can buy a card if not then you will have to turn down some of the things that are causing you low FPS.

I knew it was a piece of crap, but not that bad. There isn't a slot either. I'm happy I'm saving up for a new PC in anycase.

There isn't a slot either. I'm happy I'm saving up for a new PC in anycase.

What make and model PC is it? I have a Radeon 256 mb X800 series AGP card that you can have, if you have the slot for it.

Dell Dimension 3000

Pentium 4 CPU at 2.80GHz

510MB RAM

Clearly something that should have died out before it was purchased in 2005.

Dell Dimension 3000

Pentium 4 CPU at 2.80GHz

510MB RAM

Clearly something that should have died out before it was purchased in 2005.

It wasn't a bad system back in its day, other than the fact that it really was not designed as a gaming rig. Unfortunately, it has no open AGP slot, just integrated video (on the AGP bus), and three PCI slots.

I'm pretty sure a laptop I've been looking at would be able to run DS better than this.

It wasn't a bad system back in its day, other than the fact that it really was not designed as a gaming rig. Unfortunately, it has no open AGP slot, just integrated video (on the AGP bus), and three PCI slots.
the pci slots can hold a graphics card. if you do get a card make it is a card for the PCI slot then disable the on board graphics also ad as much ram as you can Edited by Viper6

I thought PCI graphic cards were not used anymore since Cristopher Columbus?

Edited by nixarass

I thought PCI graphic cards were not used anymore since Cristopher Columbus?
I thught the AGP slot was not used any more mine has two PCI-Express slots(SLI) and it is new

Yea lol but PCI express and PCI have just nothing to see, two different things ;)