I'm thinking about playing around with some modeling. What are some good 3d programs to make aircraft? For example, what program do you Mirage Factory boys use to make your great birds?

3D Max 2009

Is that what TMF uses? What does it cost?

Is that what TMF uses? What does it cost?

Maybe, but it's very expensive...

Say a few thousand dollars and that's a good start. 3DSMAX isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Ok. Is there anything of good quality that isn't prohibitively expensive?

What sorts of programs are all you modders using? (It's like pulling teeth.)

Edited by gbnavy61

All 3d models you can find here for the TW sims are created with a version of 3ds Max.

For your first steps on 3d modeling i would recommend the program "GMax". It´s from the same company like 3ds Max, with minor options, but totally free. When i remember correct, you must only register to download the full program.

Indeed it looks and works almost the same like 3ds Max, only problem is, the models cannot been brought into the game, cause the TW LOD exporter isn´t working with GMax and you cannot save the model in a format, 3ds can open. Only way is to export the model into a "*.3ds" file, wich can be imported by 3ds Max. But there are losses of animations and texture coordinates, along some other little things wich can cause you to drive crazy! :biggrin:

I'm slightly familiar w/ GMax - I think a copy came w/ FS2004. But, you make it seem like more hassle than it's worth.

Will Milkshape 3d do anything for me, or is that another hassle?

At this point, I'm less interested in making an entire aircraft, as examining an existing aircraft and playing around with it to see how everything works. I can work up to making one, someday, but I need to start small.

Edited by gbnavy61

There are a lot of freeware, cheapware modelling programmes out there. I'm still using Anim8or (supported) for basic modelling............ as it's free, reasonably simple, and will export your model. (Plus I hate 3ds Max - very clunky).

Now, to get the model into the game (with animations, etc., etc.), you'll need access to 3ds Max (very expensive)............... but essentially, coming up with a decent looking model takes very little money........... just time and patience.

hey folks, i'm kind of in the same boat as gbnavy, i want to design aircraft for WOX and i don't even have a clue where to get started. And, i'm on a bit of a budget :biggrin: .

My major concearn is if i go out and get needed software, etc., will I have the skills to do anything with it. Is the learning curve too steep? Will Strike Fighters 6 be out by the time I make something close to an airplane with it? I used some CAD programs in high school for drafting class, making blue-prints, designing houses, etc. Are programs like 3dmax similar to this?

So, bottom line - there's no way of doing a model without at some point running it through 3ds max to convert it properly?

Here's a list of 3D programs

1.) the obvious 3D Studio Max (what I use - highly expensive, and a bit buggy)

2.) Lightwave

3.) Maya (a lot of game developers use this program)

4.) Blender (free)

5.) Milkshape (free - but adds a horrible amount of unnecessary polys into the mesh builiding)

6.) GMax (free - but there's that conversion issue)

There's also CAD, but I don't know how good of a 3d modeling program it is.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Thanks, all, for the replies.

Keep it coming if you've got more.

So, bottom line - there's no way of doing a model without at some point running it through 3ds max to convert it properly?

Correct. At some point, you will need access to Max and the TW exporter to get the model into the game. Hopefully, that won't stop you from building a model using the various programmes listed. A friendly modder with Max might be the answer when it's time to get things in-game.

There's also CAD, but I don't know how good of a 3d modeling program it is.

AutoCAD is quite powerful, yet for the amount of money you spend on it, it's pretty much the same price as 3ds Max. AutoCAD would be typically more useful in an engineering environment rather than game design and modeling.

Edited by JimmyBib