Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

Models - Paint and Plastic

It was at least ten years since I last built a model aircraft, until a few weeks ago when I built a rather sloppy F-5B. Now I did it again, this time with a IAF Kfir. Yes, I know colour is plain instead of camo and that some of the markings are in the wrong place, but I took some liberties in order to make it look nice instead of trying something advanced and spoling the entire thing.

http://brommaherman.deviantart.com/art/Isr...r-C-7-112194146

I would welcome other postings of your works as well as constructive critisism.

Edited by tigertompa

Hi Maybe you should get some masking tape and paint the canopy frame

You have a nice start on this one. Since you state that it's more or less finished let's talk about your next project.

1 Tools, this is a basic list of tool that is affordable and multi-use.

Nail clippers, use this to remove the parts from the sprues, use the file on it to finish the bit of plastic left.

An Xacto or hobby knife with #11 blades, use it for general trimming and clean up, the back of the blade works great as a scraper to finish long seams.

Small scissors for your decal sheet.

An assortment of emery boards, the cardboard nail files these are used to smooth the joins on the wings, fuselage, and other parts.

Tape, use a low tack clear for the canopy and masking for the rest of your kit.

An assortment of paintbrushes, when I started I just had a flat for large areas, a #0 round for general work and a #000 and #00 for fine work. An eyeline brush works great for fine detail also.

Glue, I use two liquid cements both from Testor Corp., the first comes in a glass bottle and the second in a plastic container, this is a little thicker and I use it more on the larger sub-assembly's.

2 Paint

Since, I assume you are starting out I'll keep this simple

Any good hobby paint will do, make sure you stir them up really well before you use them. If you are going to use just one color a spray can will work, you can also use a spray can for a base coat and then paint the remaining camo by hand.

One note, for light or metallic colors make sure you first give your kit a primer coat of flat or matte white otherwise the final color will be too dark.

One can each of clear gloss and clear matte this is for later and is important for the decals.

3 Putting it all together, since you can put a kit together I'll touch on things to improve it's look.

Remove the parts with the clippers, trim and file to smooth the surface

Follow the instructions and join the parts dry, no glue. Using a #0 paintbrush, this is one different from the one you use to paint with, apply the cement with the brushes tip down the seam. The glue will flow into the seam and bond the parts together. Wait a minute and GENTLY squeeze the the seam forcing out some of the melted plastic. Let this dry solid, sand the bead of plastic with the emery boards down to the parts assembly, if it's done right there should be little or no join line and what is left will be covered in paint.

Repeat until you have a completed kit .

Paint as indicated in the instructions or with what colors you wish. Painting is not that hard and like everything else you get better as you go along. I suggest you use single colors at first and then move on to more detailed schemes.

Make sure you mask the clear parts with tape before you paint, using clear tape cover the clear part completely and run the tip of you hobby knife around the frame work. Remove just the tape covering the frame and apply the paint.

When the paint is all dry after at least 4hours with matte paint and 24 for gloss you can add the decals.

If you used gloss paint skip this next bit,

Leaving the canopy masking on, spray you model with a couple of light coats of clear gloss and let dry. This is done to give your decals a smooth surface to adhere to and not have that shiny "halo" look with them. Wait a day and then add the decals per the instructions and wait another day for them to set and dry.

Depending on your final finish, add one more light coat of clear gloss, if you want a dull finish let the gloss dry for about two hours and spray one to two light coats of clear matte.

At this point you are finished and I'm out of things to say.

Hope this helps on your next model kit.

I use CA(super glue)on my builds, and Rattle cans of paint, or I spray them with a gun, BUT be sure to never apply enamel over acrylics, that gets ulgy fast. for the decals I like to use a setting agent, then clear over them, or I use future.