Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Weapons Editor in SF2?

Has anybody tried using the Weapons Editor in SF2? Uncatting and re-catting the files is no big deal, but before I go to it and possibly mess up my install, I was wondering if anyone had actually succeeded. Looking at the uncatted backup files I've got, the structure looks the same. Doesn't mean it actually is, though, as I've found out...

No editor for SF2 has been released yet, AFAIK :blink:

I've just found out the hard way. The .ini file is identical, but the editor won't open it. Rats. Back to fiddling round with loadouts, then.

I wonder if there is one in the works - seems pretty primordial. It'd be nice if it were easier to use, and less cantankerous, too! :blink:

That's right. It's a tool under development by TK and will be released in about 'two weeks'. For the moment, I'm enjoying the 112 stock weapons (except when I'm on the receiving end) but appreciate that some people are not happy unless they have 2,500 weapons in their install!

The .ini file is identical, but the editor won't open it.

New ini-s are in Unicode so old editors' won't even know how to read 'em.

I wonder if there is one in the works - seems pretty primordial.

I thikn TK said it'll come after the first SF2 patch.

Ah, OK. Everything has become clear!

No, the main thing is all these blasted drop-tanks and odd things. I'm not a get-every-weapon freak, there are just a few I'd like to add!

Not directly associated with the weapons editor but drop tanks that appear in the stock aircraft skins can be easily recoloured to suit the skin as illustrated here.

RAFPhantomFG204.jpg

This is sundowner's RAF Phantom skin stuck onto the stock F-4C and the bitmap(s) were recoloured using the colour picker and bucket fill tools.

Note "Stock"... Though I do admit I like the idea of replacing the all-USAF content with our own lot!

Note "Stock"... Though I do admit I like the idea of replacing the all-USAF content with our own lot!

:salute:

I mentioned yesterday in the screenshot thread that it's possible to add old aircraft skins from SFG/WOV/WOE/WOI and add them to stock aircraft on SF2. The same applies to weapon skins

post-29988-1235157311_thumb.jpg

I added the late 'grey' F-4 tank skins to the above skin after copying it to the F-4E_75 folder. All that needs to be done then is renaming the bitmaps so that SF2 will recognise them.

I guess if the names are the same...

But I've been having some weird issues with the new Phantoms. Sometimes they just won't accept the old skins even if the names are right. And I can't mind the line in the LOD files which determines the texture names. The old ones you just hacked with a hex editor. Easy, The new ones I have no idea...

I guess if the names are the same...

But I've been having some weird issues with the new Phantoms. Sometimes they just won't accept the old skins even if the names are right. And I can't mind the line in the LOD files which determines the texture names. The old ones you just hacked with a hex editor. Easy, The new ones I have no idea...

This would only work if the skin you're trying to install in SF2 is designed for a stock aircraft from one of the older TW game titles. If they are for an add-on model you might as well forget about it.

At this point I've added various skins to my SF2 F-4s, MiG-17s, Mig-19s, Mig-21s, etc without any problems.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to double check the name changes. Here's an example when an SFG F-4E skin to the F-4E_75 in SF2:

SFG

f-4e_1 change to --> F-4E_75_1

Sorry mate, I sent that last message accidently before I finished it. Here's the rest of that message...

The only thing I can suggest to you is to double check the name changes. Here's an example when an SFG F-4E skin to the F-4E_75 in SF2:

SFG SF2

f-4e_1 change to --> F-4E_75_1

f-4e_2 change to --> F-4E_75_2

f-4e_3 change to --> F-4E_75_3

f-4e_4 change to --> F-4E_75_4

f-4e_5 change to --> F-4E_75_5

I hope I've been of some help to you