Sign in to follow this  
Denzil

Saitek X-45

Hey all,

Well, I've been thinking of getting a HOTAS for a while now, and I think the time is right :wink:

I was just wandering if the Saitek X-45 is the one to get? I know the Cougar is best but i can't afford the $600AUS that it would cost! :shock:

At only $160AUS the X-45 seems my best choice, is there anything I should know about this joystick? Is it 3.75 times worse than the Cougar?

I guess all I want to know is would I be getting good value for my money?

Thanks in advance,

Denzil

[Edit - derrr i put X-36 instead of -45 :D ]

I've heard good things about the X-45. It's a good HOTAS for the price, plus it's USB.

I have a CH Products setup here, a ForceFX stick and Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals. It was an absolute perfect setup, until I went to XP. Now I have a stck and throttle I can't program because of the gameport issue, and the force feedback driver is not supported in XP. But I'm not willing to go back to Win98. $300+ worth of controllers acting like a $30 setup :x

Sorry, rambling here. Get to the point! :D I've been looking for a cheaper HOTAS setup until I can swing a Cougar the first of the year, and I've been looking at the X45 myself. I don't think you can go wrong with that choice.

Cool,

Thanks for the reply...I've pretty much decided I'm going for it...i saw it for 30% off so I guess I can't go too wrong with that :D

I'm running '98 so I doubt I'll have too many problems...

...I can only dream about a Cougar at the moment but maybe when I make my 3rd million I might be able to move up in the world 8)

Again, thanks for the response,

Denzil

Thanks for the reply...I've pretty much decided I'm going for it...i saw it for 30% off so I guess I can't go too wrong with that  :D  

Where did you see it for 30% off? I may have to snag one myself. After all, I gotta get one for my 6-year old son soon. Got to get him started on the ol' sim habit early! :lol: He's already been playing Starcraft and Homeworld pretty proficiently now for almost a year.

hehe, you should get him into medieval: total war...brilliant! :lol:

anyway, i saw it at www.estore.com.au , the thing is you'll probably loose any savings from the S&H costs :? as it is in australia :cry:

And the exchange rate is going up i believe :shock:

Denzil

Denzil,

I don't know if you got the X45 or not yet, But I have it and use it on a Window 98SE system SGE drivers for about a year now and I must say I'm in Love with this setup.

No my rotaries are not programmed but I can live with that one day Saitek may publish a fix.

I have mapped buttons in Faclcon 4, FA-18, IL2 and Mech Warrior 3/4. I don't do many FPS. I had A SideWinder Pro, and a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D prior to my Saitek and I woud not go back!

Good Luck with your choice man

BirdDogg. 8)

I've had some problems with my X-45 in XP. The drivers aren't fully supported by Saitek, but there are some 3rd part drivers available.

Maybe its just me, cuz for a while I did have my X-45 working, and programmed, but then it went kaput. The stick worked, but I couldn't program it anymore.

So.... in my opinion, the X-45 is pretty nice, especially for those sims that allow in program controller asignments, like Il-2. But, if you run XP, you may have trouble programming it. TOo bad they had to retro out the 45, though. I liked the military look of the 36.

Guest Ranger332

bout a week ago i got an X45 by Saitek took about 2 days to get it running.

and i still get new hardwear found when i restart , but i must say sofar its worth it. Its sturdyer then the x35/36(they replaced the rubber bands with a spring). Its a pain to setup custem settings but once you get they posted works fine,and smooth.they posted an XP update for it but its not working for me

I have an x45 and it took me forever to configure and I still dont like the way that it finds the new device every time I restart. I also have to reconfigure it everytime!!!

The functions and usability are way beond that of my MS precision 2 that I have reverted back to, but the p2 works

I use the X45 and as for the drivers ...soon soon ( test a few things for SAITEK) I enjoy my stick and thanks to Lord Oliver I have a great Profile for the game , if any one else needs it drop me a line!

-Vercingetorix

Guest PhantomWarrior

My 45 works well I lov it but I still keep getting new hardwear on my startups but just click no and go