Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Alb skinned with 'Soft Light'

Hi All

This is an Alb I was experimenting on, with blending options.

The red and green colours have been blended using the Soft Light option, but it doesn't work properly with very light colours (anyone know why?)

It does however look quite nice I think, and I will experiment a bit more with it

post-22245-1237799979_thumb.jpg

Hi All

This is an Alb I was experimenting on, with blending options.

Geat skin widowmaker :good: - when it is finished will you being uploading it?

I have not used soft light - but I will try it out.

Looks like a big vial with deadly poison :bad:

Looks like a big vial with deadly poison :bad:

Ouch!..that hurt! :blink:

Ouch!..that hurt! :blink:

I like it!

I like it!

Nice effort Widow...

It's tough to use Soft Light. Each color has different results. You have to play around A LOT with the coloring, saturation, and light settings... especially with Red. Red is the hardest, along with black.

Black is tough because if you do it wrong, it looks too glossy, or too over contrasted.

You're doing a great job, and I like the 'venom'... maybe a good name for it. ;)

OvS

Nice effort Widow...

It's tough to use Soft Light. Each color has different results. You have to play around A LOT with the coloring, saturation, and light settings... especially with Red. Red is the hardest, along with black.

Black is tough because if you do it wrong, it looks too glossy, or too over contrasted.

You're doing a great job, and I like the 'venom'... maybe a good name for it. ;)

OvS

Thanks OvS... I appreciate that!

It's the first time I tried using Soft Light.. dont use it normally.

You must have had oodles of skinning experience, what with RB3d and all your superb planes in OFF

A true master of the Art!!! :good:

Thanks OvS... I appreciate that!

It's the first time I tried using Soft Light.. dont use it normally.

You must have had oodles of skinning experience, what with RB3d and all your superb planes in OFF

A true master of the Art!!! :good:

LOL! Thanks... yes.. much too much time spent sitting in front of the PC painting 1000's of skins.

Here's a really cool shading/oil stain trick I taught Makai when I paid him a visit. Find a really good picture of roses, or flowers. One that is LOADED with them, like as if someone looked straight down into a flower patch.

Take the photo, desaturate it (B&W) and use gaussian blur until you loose the details of the flowers. It looks like a massive splotch photo.

Now take your wing section, and drop that on to it... use Hard light, soft light, overlay, whatever setting looks the best, and fade it out.

What you'll end up with is the look of an 'oil soaked' rag. Try it and play with it a lot. It's all there, you just have to dial in the right settings.

OvS

LOL! Thanks... yes.. much too much time spent sitting in front of the PC painting 1000's of skins.

Here's a really cool shading/oil stain trick I taught Makai when I paid him a visit. Find a really good picture of roses, or flowers. One that is LOADED with them, like as if someone looked straight down into a flower patch.

Take the photo, desaturate it (B&W) and use gaussian blur until you loose the details of the flowers. It looks like a massive splotch photo.

Now take your wing section, and drop that on to it... use Hard light, soft light, overlay, whatever setting looks the best, and fade it out.

What you'll end up with is the look of an 'oil soaked' rag. Try it and play with it a lot. It's all there, you just have to dial in the right settings.

OvS

See?..... This is the sort of tip from a true master, that us noobs sit hoping against hope to be pointed at!...thanks m8..will try that out tonight!!! :biggrin:

(Weathering is EVERYTHING) my new quote of the day!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Ouch!..that hurt!

You know I was kidding right? :rapage: It looks very nice!

You know I was kidding right? :rapage: It looks very nice!

haha..yes, I was just kidding too!

(actually, it has since been sent to the recycling bin...Cos I didn't like it much myself)

I saw it the other morning, after a particularly heavy session the previous night, and thought... "Nah" :bad:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

OvS

OMG!!!......... That is just f*cking STUNNING!!!!!!!! (pardon my language!...but that is fantastic!)

OMG!!!......... That is just f*cking STUNNING!!!!!!!! (pardon my language!...but that is fantastic!)

Remember, a lot of stuff needs to be natural lighting, and not so much photo-realistic. You have to match the skin to the look of the game in saturation, design, and shading. Too muchin painted on shading, and it looks stupid, too much color, it looks like a cartoon... etc.

Experiment with color burn as well. Make a new layer, paint it pale light yellow, tan... whatever... and use the color burn wand on it. See what effects it makes. You can actually weather the look of the varnish that way. See my D.III factory skin for an example of what it looks like.

The wood grain on that plane was made with actual pictures of birch plywood. The photos were then used the same way I told you about the flowers. But you have to work with it on many layers. It's not that simple. Some guys like harder looking wood, I don't. I like to see the grain as you would if you sanded the sheet... so I did just that.

OvS

Yes, I am finding that!... Some of the stuff that looks good on the 'drawing-board' doesn't always lend itself to the In Game experience!

I have noticed for instance that the shadows cast by the sun when the aircraft is turning, blends beautifully with the original skins, but the shadow on some of mine, looks more like a liquid running across the surface, in a blocky way!

So much to learn!..haha....but you have certainly pointed me in the right direction!!...Thanks OvS

Thanks for all these tricks OvS. I cant wait to try them out. Maybe we should have a sticky - Skinners Tips and Tricks and we can watch OvS (with an afro of course) paint. "Now they're happy Albatroses"

Seriously though, thanks.

-Rooster

Nobody got that one? Ok, I guess I should explain myself. When I was little, like 3 or 4, I used to watch this painter named Bob Ross on tv, right at naptime. Whenever he was painting and maybe putting some snow on some trees he'd always say "Now they're happy trees".

Sorry for killing the thread Widowmaker. lol.

-Rooster

Great progress, Widow - I just don't find the time to get deeper into the tool

box of it all. But it's all here to be found and read later, I hope.

Rooster, the idea of OvS doing a video teaching program ain't bad.

But I think he should appear as in his avatar. That would be a great show!

Nobody got that one? Ok, I guess I should explain myself. When I was little, like 3 or 4, I used to watch this painter named Bob Ross on tv, right at naptime. Whenever he was painting and maybe putting some snow on some trees he'd always say "Now they're happy trees".

His show is being aired in Greece for the last 3 years. I really enjoy watching him.