So the major roadblock to having lights on carriers (other than having them built into the model) is that lights are hardcoded only onto aircraft, right?

What if a carrier had a dummy catapult and it's own static aircraft assigned to it (like comprnt's static aircraft used pre 08 patch) with lights specified at the appropriate positions?

I'm not too sure whether or not you can specify 2 or more flights originating from the same carrier (and which catapult they use), but even if you can't, a system like this would be good for night landing practice. :)

Well, that's a good idea, except for the fact that static aircraft cannot be added to a (groundobject) carrier. They must be part of the carrier model. OTH, if the carrier "model" itself was set as a static terrain object, and one were to setup an airfield.ini around it, it might be possible to add lights to that airfield/carrier.

WIPS of one of YAPS Carriers, Cargo Ships and stock PT Boat. The stock DD (not shown) also. Standard WOV lighting. Note they are functional and can operate independently or in concert and look a lot better in game.

Thanks to Hinch, Jeff, Diego and Crab for all their hard work on the YAP surface fleet past and present.

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

That's nice, but not everyone wants to convert their (default) ships into aircraft objects, just for the sake of having navigation lights, which is what I assume you did in the case of the torpedo boats and Sumner-Frams. Nice bow wave, BTW...is it fullt animated, like so? : Animated Bow Wave Video

Yet I doubt they turned ships into aircraft objects.

Fubar512, please quit teasing us with all your stuff, thats's cruel. Just like droping a sausage right in front of a hungry dog yet out of reach because of the lash.

:biggrin:

Edited by Tannethal

That's nice, but not everyone wants to convert their (default) ships into aircraft objects, just for the sake of having navigation lights, which is what I assume you did in the case of the torpedo boats and Sumner-Frams. Nice bow wave, BTW...is it fullt animated, like so? : Animated Bow Wave Video

Thanks Ed, your bow wave is nice also. Agree with your position not all want their default ships lit up. Simply made other versions for YAP missions. Put em in when/where required. Just a little more eye candy.

Nope, the default and addon ships/boats are GO's. Tried the Aircraft Object approach, didnt like it. Too many AI variables.

Anyways, they are fun. Also have a cute little sampan with teeny candles on its teeny thatched cabin headed for the Song ca.

Great ships.

The idea was to make a dummy catapult (doesn't fire) and put an aircraft on it that would supply the lights - not sure it would interfere with the other cats though.

Thanks Ed, your bow wave is nice also. Agree with your position not all want their default ships lit up. Simply made other versions for YAP missions. Put em in when/where required. Just a little more eye candy.

Nope, the default and addon ships/boats are GO's. Tried the Aircraft Object approach, didnt like it. Too many AI variables.

Anyways, they are fun. Also have a cute little sampan with teeny candles on its teeny thatched cabin headed for the Song ca.

YAP "Missions" being the key Word there. Though nice looking Ground Objects (ie Eye-Candy for $20+) They neglect 2/3rds of the Rest of the Sim. Also, One can only use them in the User Generated Missions wrote by the YAP People. If it's Eye-Candy You want......Eye-Candy with limitations You get.......

Also, The same Missions under the same conditions. YAP might use the Ground Objects several times, But the Mission Conditions are the same every time. 100 to 200, Maybe 300 Missions.........Well, Vietnam had several Thousand Sorties, Missions that one can get historcial Information on. I have them. All Declassified in 1985 and 1997. Especially the one that My Father was killed on flying for 20th TASS in a OV-10 over Laos in 1970.

Though I've advocated "Payware" the freedom to co-exist with the "Freeware" Community way back when, I'll stick to producing Eye-Candy for the Free Community that can be used with the whole Sim. Not just Part of it. There's more enjoyment and gratfication there for Me contributing to a Community that I've been a part of well before any YAP existed. I take offence when Mr. Shelton claims that We in the Community are basically "Pirates" and steal others Work. By in large, I say to Mr. Shelton, That It's the "Freeware" Community's contributions that for the most part, have made, and are making YAP. The "Paywares have alot to still learn from the Freewares".

If one doesn't think so, I just refer to the amount of Free Mods here and other Places versus what YAP has to offer. And how this line of Sims has progressed through the Years since SFP1 was released in 2002.

Now If reading this makes one think that I'm Anti-Payware, You'd be wrong. It's just a Rant when I see someone posting from YAP and say, "Well, We have it". When in fact, The whole Story is not being told......It makes the Sim, A Partial Sim Add-On. Looks pretty, But not fully functional.

My two Pennys......

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee