Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Aggressor squadrons question

I'm guessing the answer is no but, are US Aggressor squadrons deployable to another country? I know they wouldn't take part in combat operations or fly from carriers.

What about aircraft from NSAWC? Or, do they just stay at Fallon. I can't find anything online that answers this, but I thought some of you in the military would know.

Also, I've seen pictures of VFA-146 and VFA-97 F/A-18s with camo schemes similar to those of some NSAWC aircraft. Any specific story behind those?

Thanks Stormtrooper! That clears me for one idea.

Now, if there was some info on if the USN aggressors could deploy...

In theory any of them can deploy. I'm pretty sure the USN ones do road trips to other units, and the USAF AGRs out of Alaska did one recently.

527th Aggressor squadron used to be deployed at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge U.K. Their history there was short and left before they got the aggressor paint scheme.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/2004...ors/aggress.htm

I made a what if scheme awhile back with the Flogger scheme and have a Flanker scheme on hold. Works on the Blk 10 model too which i forgot to add.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6472

The commander of the 527th that transitioned from the F-5E to the F-16 at RAF Alconbury was Lt Colonel Gene Collins. Gene played baseball at Auburn when I played football there. 20 some odd years later we meet at his assumption of command ceremony at Alconbury. Neither of us knew the other was even in the Air Force. At the time I was the 17RW (TR-1) ADO. We looked hard at each other, laughed, and promised to never tell the tales we could from our college years. He is a tremendous guy and was a great commander of the 527th. Small world!

Edited by Jug

Thanks dwcace!

Jug: That really, really is a small world.

Something about the NSAWC Hornets. They are high time As and Cs that are trapped out. Deploying them to a carrier would entail flying to a nearby NAS and hoisting them aboard by crane. Even the Blue Angels are flying F/A-18Cs this year that are early Lot Cs and have no carrier landings left. The Navy has taken back some of the F/A-18A+s from the USMC in exchange for their C-models, since the USMC traditionally doesn't operate as part of an Carrier Air Wing.

On the Air Force side, many of the 65th AS' Eagles are 1985 models. Nothing to say they couldn't be bailed back to a combat unit if the crap hit the fan. The Vipers on the other hand, are older Block 32, similar to to what our ANG/AFRes fly. As far as deploying as a combat unit. It would really have to get bad for these guys to get the call.

-S

Thanks ST0RM. Would these Hornets have been trapped out in the mid 1990s though? I've seen a picture a of VFC-12 F/A-18B landing on carriers though. I know they aren't NSAWC, but are the VFC-12 Hornets kept at a higher rate of flight status then? Or are they just using younger models?

What about the USAF Vipers? Would they be old Block 30/32s then as well? Or would they be F-16As?

You'll likely find out later this week what all this fuss is about.

Also, now that you've mentioned the F/A-18A+, that's what TMF's F/A-18A is right?

I really am full of questions.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Thanks ST0RM. Would these Hornets have been trapped out in the mid 1990s though? I've seen a picture a of VFC-12 F/A-18B landing on carriers though. I know they aren't NSAWC, but are the VFC-12 Hornets kept at a higher rate of flight status then? Or are they just using younger models?

What about the USAF Vipers? Would they be old Block 30/32s then as well? Or would they be F-16As?

You'll likely find out later this week what all this fuss is about.

Also, now that you've mentioned the F/A-18A+, that's what TMF's F/A-18A is right?

I really am full of questions.

No, the Hornets didn't trap out until the mid 2000s. The camo'd jets you saw on deck were ex-VFC aircraft, given back to training units and hadn't been fully repainted. Some aircraft were purposely left in an Adversary scheme as they would supplement the full time Bandits.

The F/A-18A+ is the A-airframe with the C-model avionics and some other enhancements.

The F-16C line started with the Block 25. The 64th AS (Aggressor Squadron) was reactivated with the Viper in the 90's, flying nearly the same jets they've got now. Over the years, they've added a few F-16DJ Block 50s.

-Jeff

The USAF 18th Aggressor squadron has been all over the place.

Just a bit of what they have done:

In 1997, elements of the 18th FS deployed to Singapore and Malaysia to take part in dissimilar air combat tactic training as part of exercise COMMANDO SLING and COPE TAUFAN, respectively. The COPE TAUFAN deployment marked the first time Pacific Air Forces' F-16s had flown against MiG-29s.

The unit deployed to Ahmed Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait, October–December 1998 to support Operation Southern Watch.

Later, the squadron deployed to Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, September–December 2000, employing 5 F-16 aircraft and 110 personnel, conducting the first ever Combat Search and Rescue support tasking for an F-16 squadron in support of Operation Northern Watch.

After the September 11, 2001 attacks]], the 18th FS was called to generate eight aircraft for Alaska NORAD air defense during Operation NOBLE EAGLE, though the aircraft never had to launch.

The squadron's next deployment was to Al Jaber AB, Kuwait, December 2001 – March 2002 to support simultaneous combat operations for Operations SOUTHERN WATCH and ENDURING FREEDOM. They flew more than 3,200 hours in only 3 months, an amazing feat for the 142 Blue Foxes who deployed with only 10 aircraft. During that time, the 18th FS flew missions in support of Operation ANACONDA, including one in the Shah-I-Kot valley on March 2 when U.S. forces, engaged in a firefight with Taliban and Al Qaeda forces, called for aerial assistance. A number of Blue Foxes responded, dropping bombs with pinpoint accuracy on the opposing forces. Capt Jim Sears and Capt Andy Lipina, 18 FS pilots, received Distinguished Flying Crosses for their efforts. Lt. Col. Burt Bartley, the 18 FS commander at the time, received the Silver Star for strafing and dropping 500 lbs Laser Guided Bombs on what would later be known as "The Battle for Roberts Ridge."

The squadron deployed to Andersen AFB, Guam in support of Operation NOBLE EAGLE during March 2003. The unit also participated in COMMANDO SLING, in October 2003.

Edited by zmatt

They weren't the 18th AS then, but the 18th FS. The things you listed above are when they were a combat unit, not an aggressor squadron.

Didn't VFC-13 deploy with VFA-106 to Germany to train with JG73 and their Migs?