Sign in to follow this  
Dej

Questions for the experienced Camel drivers

Interlocutor;

trim on the ground is allowed in DiD-rules, as it has been done by ground crew.

So, find out in flight, how many ticks of "nose down trim" she needs, remember that amount,

and use it at each start.

And you'll be within the DiD rules.

Thanks, Olham, I'll do it that way then. I appreciate the tip.

But right now I need a break I think, my longest-living DiD pilot, Jacques LaRoy, 25 missions, was just killed in a mid-air collision with a fellow squadie :sad: .

Sorry to hear of Marlowe's demise, my condolences...

Of course the Camel doesn't like to be yanked hard in any direction even tho it's natural to do so after flying some of the less responsive aircraft in this sim. Yank it too hard and you'll spin or the engine will stop. Just take it easy on the control surfaces and you'll soon see that less is better. It's a great kite for split S's, immelmans, loops. It does more and does it better than most of the other allied planes available.

Thanks, Olham, I'll do it that way then. I appreciate the tip.

But right now I need a break I think, my longest-living DiD pilot, Jacques LaRoy, 25 missions, was just killed in a mid-air collision with a fellow squadie :sad: .

Sorry to hear of Marlowe's demise, my condolences...

My sympathy to you both. But especially to you Interlocutor. My longest serving pilot, Llewellyn Rhys DFC 34 missions 19 hours 7(6 Conf.) kills died in exactly the same way. It actually hurts, doesn't it.

Edited by Dej

My condolences to you both, Interlocutor and Dej;

yes, it hurts. 25 missions; or 19 hours - that's quite something.

Even losing a wingman, you have flown many missions with, hurts.

And I also find it hard to do another campaign immediately after.

Midair collisions happened often in furballs - overall situational awareness goes

down the drain in such moments. Best you can do, is remember that -

and next time, first of all: steal out und up, if any possible.

Thanks for the sympathy, Dej & Olham :cray: . And yes, it does hurt. I had planned to retire Jacques if he got to 20 hours in the air, and send him to Pau to help train new pilots. But he died with only 15.45 hours flying time.

My sympathies for Llewellyn, Dej. Collision is a pointless way to go, worse than being shot down in a straight-up fight.

But the war goes on. I think, once I've observed a brief period of grieving, that I'll focus on my RFC Camel pilot now.

Yep, the Immelmann works very well; did that, when attacking a two-seater.

But when I read Interlocuter's careful handling the right turn, I ask myself again:

does perhaps my older rig not perform the whole trickyness of that crate?

Or is a pilot, who is used to a heavier plane like the Albatros, predesinated for flying her?

I find her easy to fly - with no problems at all.

And the next thing I'll try later today, would be a loop.

A million years ago, in the first WWI sim I flew (Dawn of Aces, which was all on line) we had volunteer instructors. In fact, on Saturdays we had on line stunt flying contests run by a member who was a real life aerobatics instructor. Pretty amazing!

One of the most valuable lessons I learned was, when trying to learn a new airplane, execute repeated Cuban 8s within the length of an airfield.

Do lots (as in 100s) of those and that airplane will become a part of you.

Guaranteed!

I've done it with every new OFF plane I've tried. In fact, I've used it as a training device in every subsequent flight sim I've flown.

Cuban 8s within the length of an airfield and, yes, the OFF Camel can do them very nicely....

Here is what a Cuban 8 looks like, along with some other aerobatics you should practice in every plane you fly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic_maneuver

ttt

Edited by tttiger

If you finish don´t liking the Camel at all, try the Tripe Twin Vickers, one of the most dangerous machines in OFF skyes.

Can't say I've the found the Camel particularly difficult to fly in OFF, in fact, she's very forgiving, probably too forgiving. She's absolutley lethal in a turning dogfight and at the moment she is definitely my crate of choice.