Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Kamakazi's and colliding

This ramming and colliding stuff has got to stop!!!!! :shout: Has anybody fixed this yet????

Everybody is getting inihilated only seconds into the dogfight. I know people have complained about this before. Thats why I ask if anyone has fixed this problem. The AI loves colliding. Saves bullets I guess :dntknw:

Don't know what's goin' on there, Quack...I see the occasional collision of AI planes, but never to the point of total anihilation, as you describe.

In the 'Options' menu, then 'Gameplay', I have 'Collisions' and 'Enemy Skill Level' set to 'Hard'.

Are these your settings too?

About the only time I see a real tendency for the enemy AI to ram you is at the merge in a head on approach. In a game of "chicken" they win every time. :biggrin: You've got to get your shots in and get the hell outta the way. :blink: I have not noticed a great loss in my AI mates because of this though. Maybe one or two occasionally but for the most part the friendly AI seem to handle it fairly well. I have enemy skill set to hard but I think collisions are normal.

Hi bucky

All my settings are set to hard. But 80% of the time when the formations merge to dogfight, half of them crash into eachother. Than as the dogfighting continues more ramming goes on and sometimes I'll get rammed by the enemy and by my own. It just happens way too much. It's kind of a letdown when you start from takeoff only to reach the enemy 15mins or more later to see everyone crash head-on. Maybe it's just me but I thought I saw a thread about this problem. The AI just doesnt know not to kill its self. WWII maybe but not so much WWI :wink: .

Also whats with the AI on takeoff? My Jasta seems to all fly away from me until the next waypoint. Even when I give command to rejoin. So I need to circle for a bit so they all catch up. Very time consuming :rolleyes: I know there is something that can be done about formations but I'm not sure what.

Well if everyone else is ok with it than maybe it is just me. I just find it quite anoying. I'm usually the only one that makes it home. Even with air activity set to heavy. I know collisions happen. Just the inability for the AI to turn before ramming seems abit off. Oh well, Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, what about the formations at take-off. Anyone know how to fix this? Getting them to form up much faster.

Edited by quack74

Well, if no one here can help, maybe ask the same questions over at the Thirdwire FE forum. TK should be able to help you out.

All the best.

Bucky

For takeoff, make sure you hit all the waypoints...especially No. 2. I usually let "Otto" do it. :wink:

I noticed the "ramming" issue immediately after installing Peter01 last FM's a few months ago. I suspect others don't see it as much because they don't call for attacks in a head on situation (?), I try not to, there is no advantage.

I suspect (and will look later to confirm...) that Peter01 significantly lowered the minimum distance that the various experience levels of pilots will fire right up to, so that they will continue with head on approaches to the point of no recovery. This is also likely exacerbated by decreased cannonfireangle, so that the planes are heading almost aways directly at each other when the context of battle allows.

Just a hunch, but my, the fireworks are lovely!

Hell, I've been known to ram a German or two after I've run out of ammo after putting 100 rounds into him and he refuses to burn. :biggrin:

BB, right now I'm running a straight, bone stock EP1 with the latest patch. Seems to me the AI tend to collide at a rate somewhere around 1 in 6 or 8. Ie, if your flight has 8 planes in it seems at least one will collide with the enemy most of the time (assuming that an N/A beside a kill is a collision) and ocassionally you'll lose two. So a more agressive AI from Peter may indeed increase those numbers. Also, please don't take my ideas as an indepth study or anything. Those numbers are just a guess based on memory from checking most every mission "stat" screen. It may average out a little higher or lower.

Is that "realistic"? :dntknw: Collisions were certainly a factor IRL, as they are in the sim. Do they collide too much? Again, :dntknw: I fly mostly single missions so its not a factor to me. However how the collision rate translates into a long campaign may be another matter.

I noticed the "ramming" issue immediately after installing Peter01 last FM's a few months ago. I suspect others don't see it as much because they don't call for attacks in a head on situation (?), I try not to, there is no advantage.

I suspect (and will look later to confirm...) that Peter01 significantly lowered the minimum distance that the various experience levels of pilots will fire right up to, so that they will continue with head on approaches to the point of no recovery. This is also likely exacerbated by decreased cannonfireangle, so that the planes are heading almost aways directly at each other when the context of battle allows.

Just a hunch, but my, the fireworks are lovely!

Well, for what it's worth, I don't use any FM mods and I rarely see any midairs at all. To the point that I wasn't sure what the OP was talking about.

I'm not using any FM mods either and in the larger furballs, 6 on 6, 8 on 8, I do see one or two collisions quite often.

Yeah that sounds about right, maybe even less for me (maybe I don't fly enough). But the OP was saying that 80% of the time he was losing more than half his flight to midairs.

Right. I'm not seeing that with the stock game.

Ok, sorry. I Just got confused with your meaning when I read "quite often". So is it official, FM mods causes high number of midairs?

Way too early to draw any conclusions. B Bandy's idea that it could be connected to Peter's enhanced AI sounds plausible to me.

Quack...if I was getting numbers like you are I would be trying to fix it too. Thats way too many collisions. :dntknw:

Jeez, blame me why don't ya :wink:

Bit perplexed why anybody is experiencing this in an extreme way ...

I don't get head on collisions often in my game, and I fly a lot of custom 16 vs 16 dogfights for testing that start as head ons. Actually given the number of planes in such a small space it always amazes me that there aren't lots more on initial engagement. I do get get collisions during the dogfight, 1 or 2 collisions in squadron size fights, and its always been that way.

Bandy, no I haven't made changes to gun ranges or angles, either in an Aircraftobject.ini or in the FMs.

Edited by peter01

Hi guys. sorry I havnt been on for a few days. But to clarify a bit, I really do experiance a lot of AI collisions. Most campaigns or single missions with big furballs, I am the only one to return home. As soon as my flight engages the enemy a hand full collide right away. I understand there were lots of collisions, for real, but between all the collisions and others being shot down my flights are being desimated. Too me it's just a little too much. All my settings are set to hard. All I really wanted to know is there any way to cut back on the ramming? Even just a little? I dont blame anyone. Especially not pete01. Sorry peter01 :dntknw: . I also just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem. I think I'm just being too critical of this game. It's just frustrating when you fly a mission and everyone is killed. A bit unrealistic. Mostly due to the ramming when the engagement starts. I can live with it. If others arent having the same kind of problem then thats ok w me. I dont want to take up too much time with this :no: . But thanks for your input though. :yes:

Jeez, blame me why don't ya :wink:

Bit perplexed why anybody is experiencing this in an extreme way ...

I don't get head on collisions often in my game, and I fly a lot of custom 16 vs 16 dogfights for testing that start as head ons. Actually given the number of planes in such a small space it always amazes me that there aren't lots more on initial engagement. I do get get collisions during the dogfight, 1 or 2 collisions in squadron size fights, and its always been that way.

Bandy, no I haven't made changes to gun ranges or angles, either in an Aircraftobject.ini or in the FMs.

Well, you weren't here and we needed someone to blame. :biggrin:

Hi guys. sorry I havnt been on for a few days. But to clarify a bit, I really do experiance a lot of AI collisions. Most campaigns or single missions with big furballs, I am the only one to return home. As soon as my flight engages the enemy a hand full collide right away. I understand there were lots of collisions, for real, but between all the collisions and others being shot down my flights are being desimated. Too me it's just a little too much. All my settings are set to hard. All I really wanted to know is there any way to cut back on the ramming? Even just a little? I dont blame anyone. Especially not pete01. Sorry peter01 :dntknw: . I also just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem. I think I'm just being too critical of this game. It's just frustrating when you fly a mission and everyone is killed. A bit unrealistic. Mostly due to the ramming when the engagement starts. I can live with it. If others arent having the same kind of problem then thats ok w me. I dont want to take up too much time with this :no: . But thanks for your input though. :yes:

No probs Quack, just kidding.

Seriously, it is strange.

If its all planes/dogfights, then you may have an earlier aircraftobject.ini, not the default. Just delete if you have any in your Objects directory, you don't need it.

If its just some planes, which ones? Could be you are using earlier FMs I did, for the Oct 2007 version. Believe me, the changes TK has made to the AI since then make a tsunami look trivial.

Edited by peter01

Hi Peter,

As I mentioned (and hope it was never taken for blame!) I simply had a hunch because I remembered that period of time when altered cannonfireangles were an important part to your tweaking the AI...

And BTW, thanks for keeping up with the FM mods for FE, and for being so approachable to constructive critique. Wish half that sentiment were true of the -other- community.