Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Minimum number of decals?

Does anybody know off hand the minimum number of "identification number/code" decals in a series, for them to appear in game? I've noticed that when I do only three or so, they don't appear, while ten do.

If anyone knows, it'd save me having to find out the hard way... :dntknw: Not a thing in the Knowledge Base, that I can find.

There is a post about this somewhere but...you will need a good few for them to show up..

because if an a\c serial number is randomly assigned...(which the game does)

then a number higher than the decals supplied cant be found...so they dot show..

to be sure all numbers show up you may need at least 50 numbers...as game can assign 15 a\c to your mission...plus the static a\c etc...

Edited by russouk2004

A good trick to ensure that at least one number is showing. Is to name one of the serials exsample NUM if you are using NUM000-NUM018 if the game cant find the next number it automatic use NUM.

Thanks, Russ. I'd thought that might be it - usually I do say 15 or 16, and still find they don't work. The thing is, the ones I'm using can only appear on four aircraft in the wing... So I'll have to randomise the others.

Good trick, Henrik! Thanks, too.

according to TK's decal tutorial, the minimun is 12 (***000 - ***011), but you get a LOT of running off the end with no numbers.

Sometimes NOT using a numbers.lst works too -see my ww2 zeros and kates and vals...in prepatch installs, they usually recycle back to the first one, but not always..

I usually make a minium of 18-24 (depending on historicality).

also, have a 'blank num' (ie: Num.tga) with fillers numbers is good too. For a buzz number, something like BN-000

wrench

kevin stein

Cheers, Kevin - I've actually got it working with five, but it's not a going concern. I'm trying to do the Geschwader Staff aircraft with their chevrons, etc - and of course the insignia is reversed on the other side. But I've got an idea...

Cheers, Kevin - I've actually got it working with five, but it's not a going concern. I'm trying to do the Geschwader Staff aircraft with their chevrons, etc - and of course the insignia is reversed on the other side. But I've got an idea...

You can add a line in the decal.ini

Reverse=TRUE for those particular Decals which needs to be mirrored

The stab markings??? I was going bat-s**t crazy with those for a while... :crazy:

finally just made a 2nd decal for the other side, and edited the decals ini. Slight more work, but worth it in the end

wrench

kevin stein

You can add a line in the decal.ini

Reverse=TRUE for those particular Decals which needs to be mirrored

Yes, but then the remaining decals are also mirrored - which you don't want.

Kevin has found the right solution, which I've also stumbled on in-between times!

looking good!

btw, I take it you figured out the stab's are Level=2 decal, right???

wrench

kevin stein

Yes, don't worry! And I've got them fixed so that bars appear behind the cross when they should, but not when they shouldn't! Lots of serious brain-frying been going on round here... Look carefully at the aircraft in the background - it's the Geschwader Kommodore's, with bar behind the cross. The decals are perhaps a bit faint, but that's better than having them too opaque. As it is, the "black" isn't black at all anyway, but dark grey. I'll be uploading it soon.

NICE!!

I'd also reccomend switching over to Russo' 109lt drop tank from his Emil ... I've done this on all mine (and the 190s), but never uploaded the fixes, hence they all still have the Mustang's 75 gallon (the one's here at any rate!).

Simple edit of the data ini pointer, and the loadout ini

wrench

kevin stein

The Emil drop tank I recall was used by the F and G..

Of course... I forgot because I didn't get around to converting it for SF2. Thanks! :good: