Hi guys

Just started a campaign in ODS with the VMFA-231 Ace Of Spades squadron flying the awesome AV8-B harrier 2. Having succesfully completed my first mission and RTBing i found it quite difficult to land the aircraft on the runway. I was just wondering if anyine has any tips on how to land the aircraft properly.I seem to be coming in too fast and end up landing on the runway and not stopping in time and ending up on the sand. Isit also possible to complete a VTOL landing in this aircraft? If so any tips on how to do it?

Cheers

Mike

Yes it is possible to land vertically, with zero knots airspeed, but it takes some practice. You wouldn't want to do this with a heavy aircraft. If it's at the end of the mission, you are probably low on fuel, and have expended your ordinance, and therefore light enough to do this. Also, it's much easier if you do not have an asymetric loadout as you come home.

However, I usually land at around 70-80 knots coming back to the expeditionary airfields. Slow down normally to around 200 knots. When you get below that, full flaps, spd brk out, and move your nozzles all the way forward with about 50% throttle to slow you down to 70-80 knots. Once you get down to that speed, put your nozzles at 45 deg for the rest of the approach. At that speed, I use throttle and nozzle position to control altitude and decent rate, not for/aft stick.

One downside is that the game engine doesn't have the AI use thrust vectoring, so be carefull your wingman do not run up the back of you on approach, especially when you get to the point of doing a vertical landing.

Configuring the aircraft for VTOL landing a good ways out is the way I've done it. Finding that right amount of thrust and the nozzle position is the key. The speed brake is pretty useless (at least to me) once you get the gear down.

Practice...

Ok thanks guys. Just had a few more goes and manged to take off vertically with no loadout or ammunition and 25% fuel. Just have to practice the landing then.

Plan your approach a fair way out.

Make sure that if you haven't expended most of your weapons, then jettison them. I usually approach in a 'conventional' manner, until about five miles out, slowing down to below 200 knots with air brakes. Once I get down to about 160, I start to move the nozzles down GRADUALLY. I can't emphasize that you must not rush this part! Get the flaps out, drop the speed off, I think I usually come in with nozzles around 60 degrees at about 80 knots or so.

Watch you rate of descent, down below about 500 feet, I usually know where I'm at; If I'm making a hash of things, I'll do a low speed rolling landing. This is not detracting from realism too much.

And remember with the Harrier that at near zero forward speed, your nose will drop a LOT!

I've done some vertical take offs, but it don't seem worth it to me because loads are so limited.

Cheers

Andy.

P.S: If anybody has mastered hovering strafing in this bird, tell me how!

There's a Friend of mine, His Name is Jack Jackson. Jack is the Cheif AV-8B Test Pilot for Boeing. He was one of the Inital Cadre Test Pilots testing the AV-8A Harrier for the USMC in 1971. He has over 25,000 Hours in Type.

He related to Me that Landing and Taking Off with the Harrier required "Practice, Practice, Practice". Marine Pilots not assigned Training Sorties, were assigned TPQ Sorties Practicing Landings and Take Off's and of all Modes. Also, MAF Bouge Field, NC is an Axiliary Air Field that has a Layout of an LHA painted on the Runway. It also has a Ski Jump Ramp. Marine Pilots Train Landings and Take Off's on a daily basis. There was also Lyman Road at Camp Lejune. It's a Two Lane Road that is three Miles long. It has Marston Mat Pull-Off's for servicing.

Jack said, "In the old Days, We didn't have a Two Seater to Train with. So We had a Guy in a Pick Up Truck and a Radio had to chase You around." He went on to say," If the call came in, "Throw Your Wallet Out!", You knew You'd better do something. You were in Trouble. You'd better Punch Out."

I started working on Harriers in 1979 and didn't stop until My Retirment in 1992. While at MCAS Cherry Point, In Harrier Units, The Base became the busy-ist Air Facility in the World. Harriers were Landing Day and Night at a average of one per half Second, depending on Weather, Of course. That's the Main Runway. Hover Pad. Plus We had one EA-6B Squadron. Two A-6E Squadrons. Two KC-130 Squadrons, one A-4M Squadron and Two H&MS Squadrons operating OA-4M's. And there were the visiting Units that came from all branches of Services and from around the World. And the Naval Rework Facility that were Re-Working Phantoms and C-130's.

The Harrier, either AV-8A or AV-8B takes alot of Practice to Operate. The very Best of Marine Aviators get the Assignment.

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

Configuring the aircraft for VTOL landing a good ways out is the way I've done it. Finding that right amount of thrust and the nozzle position is the key. The speed brake is pretty useless (at least to me) once you get the gear down.

Practice...

That's because like the F-111 the main gear door is the speedbrake.

That's because like the F-111 the main gear door is the speedbrake.

Sorry JM, but you're mistaken. The speedbrake is behind the aft set of mains and is separate from the gear doors.

Edited by ST0RM