Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

I have started to....

I have began putting victory icons on my aircraft now, like they did in WW2.... a quick open up in Photoshop, and a maltese cross is added to my aircraft, or indeed an RFC roundal after a confirmed victory is reported.

Nice to admire my lack of achievement in the air..though my new Albatross has 3 roundals on it..so it's creeping up.

After no5 victory, I shall put a larger icon to represent five kills confirmed (If I live that long of course)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Hey Widowmaker, put up some screenshots. I like to see it.

Doesn't that give all your flight members the same kills as you aka: the same skin?

Jammer...will do m8

Mr Lucky.... yes, I'm sorry to say!..... but who looks at them!?..haha

Here ya go Jammer

post-22245-1242139451_thumb.jpg

Oh that is sweet! I like it!It almost makes me want to try skinning. I put a lightning bolt on a plane in RB3D once and even tried it in OFF. But it looked rather cheesy so I gave up on the whole idea. Hats off to all you skinners.

I've heard that in WW1, when they patched a hole in the fabric, they sometimes painted the patch with a little representation of what caused it. Like if it was from a Brit bullet, the patch would be a little roundel. Years ago, I even saw a Tiger Moth that had a screwdriver painted on a rather large patch on the lower wing near the engine :).

So, if you were really ambitious, you might make careful note of where your crate gets hit each mission, and put little patches there, to see how they accumulate over time.

Right you are Bullethead. In the old pics you will sometimes see little circles painted around patched bullet holes, and also tiny British and French roundels on the Hun planes at the patches.

Widowmaker, very cool Sir. I used to do the same thing on my RB3D Camel. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

That's a good idea guys.... But the amount of bullet holes I get...it will take a parachute sized piece of canvas to cover it all!! :smile:

But the amount of bullet holes I get...it will take a parachute sized piece of canvas to cover it all!! :smile:

Well, it might end up with an interesting camo pattern after a while :biggrin:

Nice Wiidowmaker, but I like historical correct skins on my aircrafts.

Nice Wiidowmaker, but I like historical correct skins on my aircrafts.

Each to their own Peeppu.

If I had been a Pilot, it would be an historical Skin! :biggrin:

Each to their own Peeppu.

Exactly Widowmaker! :good: Salute!

If I had been a Pilot, it would be an historical Skin! :biggrin:

Amen to that. If I'd been a WW1 pilot who'd lived long enough to get a few kills on my side of the lines, I'd have used the flayed hides of my fallen foes as my flightleader streamers.

haha..Yeah...Forget 'Skull Images'...I would have shrunken heads flapping in the wind!

I would have shrunken heads flapping in the wind!

Yeah. there ya go. I had a great uncle in the Foriegn Legion back then, who got put in charge of some Senegalese troops. He said they were enthusiastic head-hunters, and that this form of schrecklicheit was rather admired and encouraged up the chain of command. So if your superiors give you trouble about the shrunken heads, just tell them that's where you acquired the habit, and that THEY WEREN'T THERE, MAN!

Edited by Bullethead

Yeah. there ya go. I had a great uncle in the Foriegn Legion back then, who got put in charge of some Senegalese troops. He said they were enthusiastic head-hunters, and that this form of schrecklicheit was rather admired and encouraged up the chain of command. So if your superiors give you trouble about the shrunken heads, just tell them that's where you acquired the habit, and that THEY WEREN'T THERE, MAN!

Didn't French Colonial Troops carry that on into WW2 as well? Must have put the fear up their foe it it were true.

Hey, Widow,

good idea! Why not? I'll try, how it would look on my "Weisser Adler" Albatros (White Eagle).

If I change it, I'll post it here.

Hey, Widow,

good idea! Why not? I'll try, how it would look on my "Weisser Adler" Albatros (White Eagle).

If I change it, I'll post it here.

Might as well Olham..it only takes a minute..and is a great record of past glories! :good:

You can also use a 'Bomb' motive for successful ground operations..or a Balloon!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Here ya go Jammer

That RED has to go!!!...yuk!! :yes:

post-22245-1242214955_thumb.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

That RED has to go!!!...yuk!! :yes:

Widow, I like this design, it looks circa!

Some friendly tips for you as I know you appreciate doing skins...

1. Dump your version of 'mauve', it's too purple. Use one of my OAW D.III's as a guide to a very close version of the German mauve. I did a ton of color comparisons and research. It's like a greyish, purple in tone. Remember to use the 'rose' trick I showed you and add in some shading to the over-all look of the paints. It makes them look sun-burned/weathered. Not too much, but definately a little.

2. Use the 'desaturation' on any color you chose that looks too bright. Right now, your green looks too bright, as does the purple and red. If you high light the whole fuselage, and play with the saturation, you'll see what I mean. The plane can be colorful, but not neon, if that makes sense.

3. Remember to take time and add some detail to the colors you place OVER the seams and stuff. In other words, add in the seams, and nail-holes.

4. There is a section in the skin, on the tail that needs to be painted as well. You can get rid of that missing color section under the rudder by doing that.

All the best,

OvS

Hi, Widow

As OvS said - too purple.

The tail section bit that's missing must be that panel above the upper fuselabe side,

below the above fuselage back (I think).

That RED has to go!!!...yuk!!

I'd say go with either the red nose, or the white stripes, but not both.

('seems the link to the bigger pic. is broken)