Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Working my way through the war.

After many attemps with different sqd's in different time periods and not getting very far i've decided to stick to just one sqd'n in campaign mode and see how far through the war i can get.I still get killed, but using the 'DiD' rules i make my next pilot the new recruit for the sqd'n.My first man lasted from 4.5.16 till the 25.5.16 then got K.I.A'd,so the next one started from 1.6.16 till 17.6.16. Now i'am on my third man starting 1.7.16.

This way you get to update your aircraft when the time comes.Plus it will take me years to get through all the different sqd'ns in the game...

After many attemps with different sqd's in different time periods and not getting very far i've decided to stick to just one sqd'n in campaign mode and see how far through the war i can get.I still get killed, but using the 'DiD' rules i make my next pilot the new recruit for the sqd'n.My first man lasted from 4.5.16 till the 25.5.16 then got K.I.A'd,so the next one started from 1.6.16 till 17.6.16. Now i'am on my third man starting 1.7.16.

This way you get to update your aircraft when the time comes.Plus it will take me years to get through all the different sqd'ns in the game...

That's such a simple but such a GOOD idea... how come I missed it? I shall do that henceforth. Cheers for the tip, Red-Dog.

That's an excellent strategy. I just lost my DiD pilot (punctured fuel line and landing on the wrong side of the front lines...POW for the duration...and he was less than a mile from the front!!!). I'm going back to 8 RNAS and take up where Stan left off. After finishing the war in this squad, I'll join up again in RFC 56. This will be great! And I'll finally get to fly something besides N17s and Pups!

Sometimes it's the simplest ideas that elude us the most.

Maybe one could use the same name for each pilot. Only using a middle initial to distinguish, starting with A and going down the alphabet.

I've been thinking about a similar, but somewhat opposite scheme. -Starting ten pilots simultaneously, all in the same squadron/date – one “me” and the with the names of nine of my buddies/co-workers. I plan to fly them consecutively, one day each, say April 1st –one sortie daily, advance that pilot to the next day, then fly the next pilot in the list for his April 1st, and so on… No replacements. The idea being to get more of a “real” feel for the losses, and to see who is “the last man standing”. (And how long it took for him to lose his ten friends and find himself flying with a group of strangers)

Maybe one could use the same name for each pilot. Only using a middle initial to distinguish, starting with A and going down the alphabet.

Sort of like the Dread Pirate Roberts then.

I've been thinking about a similar, but somewhat opposite scheme. -Starting ten pilots simultaneously, all in the same squadron/date – one “me” and the with the names of nine of my buddies/co-workers. I plan to fly them consecutively, one day each, say April 1st –one sortie daily, advance that pilot to the next day, then fly the next pilot in the list for his April 1st, and so on… No replacements. The idea being to get more of a “real” feel for the losses, and to see who is “the last man standing”. (And how long it took for him to lose his ten friends and find himself flying with a group of strangers)

That's a great idea too. I used to do that way back when with 'Their Finest Hour' promoting said friends and colleagues according to kills and missions. It became a great source of immersion to see one on your squadrom mates go down and be hoping for the 'chute then returning to base to see if they were MIA or KIA or ideally, OK.

Excellent idea Red,

i'm trying something similar at the mo, but by doing it by aircraft type, - i'm flying be2's so when i lose a pilot, i fly another be2 on another squadron.

What comes after Z? (I'm just wondering because I'm not sure 26 pilots will be enough!)

:wink:

What a great idea....starting a new campaign this way tomorrow. Thanks...!!! :clapping:

"What comes after Z? (I'm just wondering because I'm not sure 26 pilots will be enough!)"

Fortunately, it's quite common to come across WWI pilots with multiple middle names.

Regards,

Captain A. K. N. G. Fortescue-Smythe-Templeman.

What comes after Z? (I'm just wondering because I'm not sure 26 pilots will be enough!)

:wink:

Å, Ä and Ö, naturally. :biggrin:

Fortunately, it's quite common to come across WWI pilots with multiple middle names.

Regards,

Captain A. K. N. G. Fortescue-Smythe-Templeman.

:biggrin:

So...just wondering again....Would the guy that replaces this guy be Captain B.K.N.G Fortescue-Smythe-Templeman....or A.L.N.G. Fortescue-Smythe-Templeman...or A.K.O.G......

(man, I'm tired of writing THAT name already!)

I'm also guessing the guys in the squad have a real cute nickname for this fellow!