Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Anyone play a Musical Instrument?

I have played the trumpet for about 30 years now. I also enjoy playing the E flat baritone and valve trombone. I had a custom made Fender Strat I was starting to learn, but Desert Storm ruined those plans. I sold the Strat after I came home. I'm happy with my trumpet for now.

When I was in grade schoo, I played trumpet.

When I was in high school, I played trombone and 1-string bucket bass.

When I was in college and for a while thereafter, I played harmonica and bagpipes.

When I came back from the war to an empty house (The Bitch having left me shortly before I deployed), I took up the mighty Fender Stratocaster and played the blues. I built my own custom hardtail Strat out of Warmouth parts with hand-wound Van Zandt blues pickups, and hit the clubs. I played rhythm to a real guitarist, but once in every night I got a solo. Everybody should, at least once in their life, get the chance to play a long, slow blues solo on an electric guitar while walking along the top of a bar, carefully stepping over drinks and wet spots, in so much cigarette smoke that the blue spotlight hardly touches you, with helpful audience members holding up your guitar cord, and making all kinds of suggestive postures with the guitar to the girls all along the bar. I was fortunate enough to do that quite a few times. Next to being shot at and just barely missed, it's the best thing life has to offer.

Edited by Bullethead

Hi,

I play the... Balalaika! (big surprise).

Was wandering around a local market about 3 years ago when I saw this strange looking, 3 stringed instrument. Didn't know what it was at the time but have always wanted to play something, and this had only 3 strings - how hard could it be?!

So, for £25 I bought it, replaced the rusty strings and downloaded a DIY coursebook of the internet. 3 years on I can play quite a few tunes on it and it does sound lovely - like an old medieval sound. I like a band called Blackmore's Night, and it is a good instrument for playing their type of Renaissance music.

oh, and have since gathered a collection of 5 instruments! The six stringer is great and all the others, even though having 3 strings have their own 'voice' as it were and sound different.

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out

Come and keep your comrade warm

I'm back in the USSR!

CJ

Wow, quite a few instrumentalists here! I too play a few instruments. I started out on the trombone in jr. high and stuck with it until I graduated high school in 05. Unfortunately, later that year, it was washed away in hurricane Katrina. No worries though, my wife has bought 2 as a gift while I'm deployed over here, WooHoo!! Now when I get back, perhaps, if I'm not too rusty, I can find some folks to play with in a local jazz band or something. A funny side note, my wife also plays the flute, keyboard, and a little bit of percussion, and no bull, when folks ask us how we met, we just say, 'Well this one time, at band camp...' I am self taught at piano, but am in no way near competent at it yet, lol. I also play the harmonica and am learning new techniques such as bending. A buddy of mine here is learning the banjo, and occasionally, we sit in front of our B hut and play together, mostly 'dueling banjos' to the best of our limited abilities. One of my many other hobbies is WW2 reenacting (German, 116 PD, 2/228 panzerjager) and I also break out my vintage harmonica and play a couple tunes such as Erika, and Lili Marlene while sitting around camp. Well, I'll say that's enough of tootin my own horn (pun intended), so I'm off to OFF some more. Tchuss!

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Balalaika ! ! !

Love the hair..... !

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

I have been playing Guitar for about 30 years, only recently did I start to take it 'serious' to the point of recording songs and started to write some of my own stuff

My wife bought me the following equipment for Christmas

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrs8/

Awesome recording system, complete with Drum and Bass machine

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ve-4?sku=180071

Great vocal processor, with effects and harmonies

http://www.digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/RP50.php

Decent effects pedal

Hey, congrats, Widowmaker! Like others have said –practice, practice, practice. But every once in awhile, screw the practice! Just bang away for all you’re worth, sing like you need psychotherapy, and enjoy the hell out of it. It’s good for the soul, my friend. Then practice, practice, practice.

Kind of surprising to see so many musicians (of whatever ability) in a WWI air sim forum. I’m mostly a guitar guy myself … rock, r&b, blues etc; like some others here, did the rock band thing in my 20s -but I love to play anything- folk, country, celtic- especially if there’s someone else to play along with. (For me the real buzz comes from playing with others, more than playing solo for my own enjoyment, or for the benefit of an audience)

CW

Apologies for taking so long to reply, but thanks Womenfly2! LOL, that is a funny video, thanks for posting it :)

What a talented Bunch you all are?...I feel such a damn NOOBIE!!! :blush2: :smile:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

What a talented Bunch you all are?...I feel such a damn NOOBIE!!! :blush2: :smile:

.... we all were. Its all about perseverance, is not it. :rockon:

Cheers,

WF2

.... we all were. Its all about perseverance, is not it. :rockon:

Cheers,

WF2

Is not it indeed!! :biggrin:

NICE to see we have some bassplayers here in the forum.I play the bass for 12 years now.Upright and electric bass(fretted/fretless).Rock pop jazz .Touring all over the country.Greetings