Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

Warplane - Rotary Engine Centrifugal Force

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="<A href="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="<A href="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Enjoy,

WF2

Great description of the gyro effect! I almost understand it now. Thanks WF2.

Great! A good, lucid explanation of rotary engines. I knew that excess power, and slow reflexes, could roll you over and cork-screw you into the ground. I never heard of the left/right, up/down reversal. The Camel was a lot scarier than I ever thought.

Good video, except the Dr.1 they show doesn't actually have a rotary engine in it.

Yes, its the one from ORA with a Warner Radial, geeee guys!. Its interesting in that I felt the same effect while flying the rotary D.vIII. I also felt it in my Pietenpol powered by a Model-A Ford engine with a 84" diameter x 43" pitch prop. I believe in the Piet this effect, a lot less then a rotary, was do to the large prop.

Is this effect modeled in OFF? If so, to what extent?

Cheers,

WF2

I tried it with the OFF Camel last night out of curiosity. Apply right rudder and the nose drops, apply left rudder and the nose rises. Looks like it works to me. Haven't tested the other rotary powered planes.

CJ

Great illustrative video WF2 thanks. Yes gyroscopic precession is modelled in OFF. As CJ says the Camel's nose will dip to the right and climb to the left. Left rudder needed in both left and right turns to get the best out of it. Other craft have it but much less so.

Come to think of it, I noticed the effect when practicing Voss' "flat turns" in the DrI.

CJ

The torque problem remained a killer well into WWII. I had a paperback devoted to aircraft carrier deck landing accidents. One of the pics. is an F6F trying to recover after missing the arresting cable. He's off the starboard corner of the flight deck, clawing for altitude, but also about 3/4 inverted, and you know that in the next second he'll be pointed straight down at the water. The text said it was all too common for inexperienced pilots trying to go 'round again, to ram the throttles full forward and the plane rolls over and goes in.