Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

Back with my old squadron!

I was a member of 4sqn RAF 1969-73 (the early Harrier years), and have just signed on again. In a way I have always wanted to fly something as stable as a BE2c, though I don't suppose I will last long in one of those. Anyway, I do get to fly in a squadron aircraft at last (I was not a pilot, but an engine fitter). And now I have a nice shiny commission as well :yes:

Welcome aboard Jim,You will get plenty of flying time now. :good:

Hi Jim,Now that’s really cool to be able to live your squadron’s history.

Good hunting,

Jammer

Welcome, Jim - and don't forget to try the Bristol fighter!

Out of curiosity, are there still any RAF squadrons remaining these days that were active already during the Great War? The British army at least has some of the oldest units in the whole world serving in its ranks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the RAF has similar traditions. Though nothing dating back to the 18th century, I'm sure!

Have fun with your Quirk, Jim. I have an active RNAS bomber pilot flying the Strutter in 1916, but surviving long in the BE2c must be really hard compared to that. :good:

The French still have the "Storks" Escadrille (don't know the number?) today as an elite unit.

(Only, now they fly Mirage jets, of course).

Out of curiosity, are there still any RAF squadrons remaining these days that were active already during the Great War? The British army at least has some of the oldest units in the whole world serving in its ranks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the RAF has similar traditions. Though nothing dating back to the 18th century, I'm sure!

Have fun with your Quirk, Jim. I have an active RNAS bomber pilot flying the Strutter in 1916, but surviving long in the BE2c must be really hard compared to that. :good:

Just about all extant RAF squadrons have histories going back to WWI, in the low numbers there are 1(F), 3(F) and IV(AC), all flying Harriers from Cottesmore at the moment. The F stands for F(ighter) and the AC for A(rmy) C(ooperation). At the start of WWII, 1 sqn was flying Hurricanes in France and IV was flying Lysanders, afterwards replaced by PR Mustangs and Mosquitoes. Strangely enough, IV sqn was written 4 when I was there (although the squadron badge always was in Roman numerals), and the AC seems to be a sort of 'retro' thing used relatively recently. About the only squadron dating from WWII is 617, the 'dambusters', flying Tornados at the moment IIRC. I'll pop over to the RAF web site and see what is going on. BTW, no 24, a famous SE5a squadron (see the book by the US flier Bill? Lambert) has been flying transports for a long time now. Some ex-naval squadrons in the 200 series still exist flying ASW Nimrods.

Hi Jim,

I'm ex RAF also - 27 years as a 'Sooty', 13 of which were on Tornado IDS and ADV. I served on 27 who were co-located at Marham with the 'Hole in the Wall' gang. However, we were the senior Squadron :wink:

Just about all extant RAF squadrons have histories going back to WWI, in the low numbers there are 1(F), 3(F) and IV(AC), all flying Harriers from Cottesmore at the moment. The F stands for F(ighter) and the AC for A(rmy) C(ooperation). At the start of WWII, 1 sqn was flying Hurricanes in France and IV was flying Lysanders, afterwards replaced by PR Mustangs and Mosquitoes. Strangely enough, IV sqn was written 4 when I was there (although the squadron badge always was in Roman numerals), and the AC seems to be a sort of 'retro' thing used relatively recently. About the only squadron dating from WWII is 617, the 'dambusters', flying Tornados at the moment IIRC. I'll pop over to the RAF web site and see what is going on. BTW, no 24, a famous SE5a squadron (see the book by the US flier Bill? Lambert) has been flying transports for a long time now. Some ex-naval squadrons in the 200 series still exist flying ASW Nimrods.

What's a 'sooty'? (though I can guess...) On Harriers we only had the aeroplane drivers :smile:

In the 20's the Hillman bus company started an airline. They paid the drivers of buses and aircraft the same pay ....

Thanks for the info, guys. I suspected the RAF has kept the same squadrons in service like the army does with their units. But if I'm not mistaken, defense spending has been cut in Britain quite a lot after the end of the Cold War, so some squadrons have probably been deactivated during peace time. At least the army has lost units due to budget cuts.

It must be a special feeling to get to serve in a squadron (or any other unit) that have such long histories and traditions. Should improve the fighting spirit at least...