Having made the superb Third Wire Mystere IV and Super Mystere flyable (using the Hunter pit and avionics) I've had a go at the F-84F but it's a tricky beast!

It seems to start to rotate quite early (say 170km/h) and then catch fire and explode showing off the new chargrilled damaged LOD. At first I suspected a tail scrape but, looking closely, it seems to shed a couple of 'bits' just before it catches fire! I've managed to take off a couple of times by pushing the control column firmly forward until the more normal rotational speed (say 280km/h) but it lurches into the air and on both occasions has shed the complete left airbrake!

Tricky.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Spinners

Studying this a bit more the 'bits' are definitely the airbrakes and I've tried the F-100D pit with the same result.

BTW the AI copes fine!

I don't think it's 2nd gen or specific to that plane, I've noticed the same behavior with a few planes in the gen 1 games. A similar problem I've noticed is a much slower acceleration on takeoff than the AI, even on the largest runways some planes can run out of space before reaching enough speed to lift off. But the AI (or your plane on autopilot) are just fine. Another problem that is probably related to whatever system is causing your bug.

The pilots of the TAC and SAC found the F-84F to be a rather difficult plane to fly. Its loaded weight of 20,000 pounds and its landing speed of 155 mph made it a rather "hot" ship for pilots who were more familiar to lighter and slower-landing machines, and it took a bit of getting used to. In addition, the handling properties of the F-84F were somewhat tricky, and certain maneuvers were deemed too dangerous to perform except in extreme emergencies. Nevertheless, the F-84F achieved a reputation for being of extremely robust construction and of high reliability, and it offered a relatively smooth ride through turbulent low-level air.

I am going to have to try it out and see how it is now. You got me curious Spinners.

Same result with an A-4B pit (I tried this as the Hunter and F-100D have ventral airbrakes).

I've had a look at the F-100D data.ini and many of the values are same so it looks like TK used it as his template. Anyway, I've had a play around with the landing gear but to no avail.

Anyway, not to worry. The F-84F add-on is superb and there are some great skins for it :clapping:

Same problem here, using the F-86 pit; I don't think the pit comes into it.

Anyway:

The nosewheel rises by itself at 96kts, and the aircraft begins to oscillate fore-and-aft at around 115-120kts. Tyre-squeals begin at around 150kts, which is when the airbrakes fly off - starboard first at 151kts, port immediately afterwards. The wheels leave the ground at 158kts followed immediately by the explosion - or fire, followed by the explosion, once.

The figures are from one full-power test run. In the other, I reduced speed before take-off when things started to go wrong, and caught fire instead.

Talking of skins, are you releasing that RAF one? :good:

Edited by ndicki

Talking of skins, are you releasing that RAF one? :good:

Yes - If we can get this bird to fly!

I had the same problems too.

This collision point:

CollisionPoint[005]= 0.00,-6.88,-0.81

Seems to be set a little low given the shape of the F-84s rear fuselage. Try setting it to:

CollisionPoint[005]= 0.00,-6.88,-0.58

And see if that gives a little more clearance.

Of course, these early jets were notorious for long takeoff runs. It was said that if a runway was built that spanned the earth, Republic would build an airplane that needed all of it. This plane should probably be set to MinBaseSize=LARGE.

It was said that if a runway was built that spanned the earth, Republic would build an airplane that needed all of it.

I thought it was only the B-52 which took off due to the curvature of the earth? :biggrin: I remember at RIAT the voice of the B-52H pilot with minimal fuel and no bombs taking off stating this was the first time he'd ever pulled positive G on take off!

I had a thought about this issue, how is undercarriage damage set by speed? Could that cause it? IE take off speed is just below the speed at which the undercarriage gets ripped off?

This collision point:

CollisionPoint[005]= 0.00,-6.88,-0.81

Seems to be set a little low given the shape of the F-84s rear fuselage. Try setting it to:

CollisionPoint[005]= 0.00,-6.88,-0.58

Thanks Don. That must be the problem as I did manage to take-off for the first time without shedding bits of airframe :good: . Landing was another matter however :haha: