Sign in to follow this  
Caesar

Orders change...

Well, I'm absolutely certain all of the current and former military members on this site have had this happen plenty of times, but it's the first for me: my move date got changed from 9 July to 18 June due to a shortage of missile students, so things have been a bit hectic around here (just got a call this morning telling me about the change :blink: ). So if for any reason someone should try to contact me, I'll be gone for about 6 days from 18 June travelling from Syracuse, NY to Vandenberg, CA. Cross-country in an '06 Taurus...wewt!

Yep been there. When we left Germany, we had one week to get our stuff shipped and then on a plane back to CONUS. Gotta love Personnel...

As far as your impending trip in the Taurus, could be worse:

the-family-truckster-in-all-of-its-glory-i-dont-know-where-the-photo.jpg

"Now, I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster... You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it."

I want one of those!!! I have a sweet spot for cars with wood. And the two rows of lights make it look majestic. Also the green matches my army parka.

"I found out long ago

It's a long way down the holiday road

Holiday ro-o-o-o-o-o-oad, holiday ro-o-o-o-o-oad..."

I've had orders changed too. Sent my family home from Gaeta and shipped out our household goods. I was to follow in 3 weeks when we came back from an exercise. I drove down to Napoli to ship our car and caught the train back. While I was doing that, Saddam was "shipping" his tank divisions into Kuwait. We cleared port a few hours later and the rest, as they say, is history. (didn't make it home for awhile)

but the two candidates for worst situations have to be these two;

New NFO with orders to the squadron in Japan, ships his household goods and his wife and child get their passports, shots, tickets, etc.

the day before his portcall his orders were changed to a squadron in Norfolk. They had fun......

a "few" years later our Chief of Staff for the 6th Fleet is unexpectedly gapped. A critical position which needs to be filled, yesterday. A Captain from the Captain detailing shop (and a candidate for the position) comes out to talk with the VADM on what he needs to fill the position. After a few minutes the VADM tells him that his return ticket is cancelled, he's got the job, there is your desk and send for your family and household goods when you get a chance.

:blink:

at any rate Caesar - have fun - nothing like a cross country road-trip in a classic auto!!

:biggrin:

Edited by Typhoid

Caesar, missile maint? Or missile crew?

Caesar, missile maint? Or missile crew?

Missile Test Pilot

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg

I certainly HOPE that's not what I get!

Dave, I'm not sure yet; I'm a 13S1X at the moment, so I could even end up in Space first, but everyone I talk to tells me "do missiles first!" so that's what I'm planning to do. Odds are it'll be the crew-side of things/one of the guys in those bunkers with the keys.

EDIT: So my above "shortage of..." should read "space and missile students", rather than just "missile students."

Edited by Caesar

Whoever told you that is nuts. Stay away from missiles or you are going to end up at some place like Minot. Space is the place to go.

I did both. I liked space side alot better.

I've been on the outside looking in from the joint world and from that perspective have worked with both missile and space types a lot.

My impression is that the space world was a whole lot more interesting and varied with lots more places to go.

Once in missile, you'll like stay there. Its hard to break out of it.

Having said that, missile is certainly laid out with clear career paths, guidance and support. Nothing wrong with it.

Space is the final frontier after all. :grin:

Besides, then you get stationed places like Vandenberg and Patrick instead of Minot...sound good to you?

Yeaaaaah, I spoke to a few other folks yesterday and they told me the same thing: it is apparently getting harder to get out of missiles once in. Looks like I'll be planning a space option, if able. Back to packing!