Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Hobbies....

I see there are a few firearms afficionados around. This is a "restoration" project I am in the process of completing.

First of bit of history behind this weapon. Its a Nepalese copy of a British 1841 Brunswick Rifle. Several years ago these, along with several other types of weapons (real Britsh Martini Henrys, copies of Sniders, Enfields, Brown Bess', etc.) were discovered in Nepal. Part of the forgotton Royal Nepalses Armory cache that had been stored in the lower realms of an old Royal castle. Atlanta Cutlery and International Military Antiques got involved and imported container loads these to the US. There were covered in literally 100 to 160 years of dirt and grime. Both AC and IMA cleaned most of these up and sell them. Others, like this one, they offer uncleaned at a discount for those who like to "tinker". Like they say "A picture is worth a thousand words". :wink:

Before:

bruns1.jpg

bruns2.jpg

bruns3.jpg

After:

bruns14.jpg

bruns16.jpg

bruns17.jpg

The idea is not to refinish but restore it as close as possible to the condition it was in when it went into storage. I'm surprised and very pleased with the way it turned out.

great job man its something you did there giving that old rifle a new life

btw what the calibre of that rifle?

if its a 12 gauge i can have here in portugal :rofl:

Its somewhere around .65 cal. Its actually a smoothbore musket instead of a rifle. As an antique (1898 or older) its is virtually unregulated here in the US. I can order from the distributor and have it delivered directly to my residence without having to go through a licensed dealer.

Its somewhere around .65 cal. Its actually a smoothbore musket instead of a rifle. As an antique (1898 or older) its is virtually unregulated here in the US. I can order from the distributor and have it delivered directly to my residence without having to go through a licensed dealer.

Same here in the UK, if it of obsolete calibre and an antique (100 years or more I think) then you can freely own and display them as antiques. If you want to fire them it isn't all too hard to get a black powder license and have some fun in the back yard. Mind, what they don't know won't hurt them sometimes.

Be careful if your going to load her up though! My Godfather found two duelling muskets in a chimney of a house he was fixing up and the owner gave them to him as he is into restorations and stuff. He managed to get them back to a beautiful condition reminiscent of the marvellous job shown in your pictures.. only to blow out the barrel of one testing it down the garden :cray:

Agreed. Although safety is a concern, I'm satisfied it will stand up to shooting. The breech end is substantial and the threads on the nipple are clean and in good shape. I've run a few oiled patches down the bore and although I'm getting some "color" it feels smooth. If there was significant pitting I could tell. The first shot will be a "blank"...just powder and a paper wad to make sure the cap will ignite the charge. Then a loosely patched ball will be next. But first I have to fit the buttplate. It looks to be a "spare". It clearly was never fitted to this particular gun anyway.

I collect spores, molds and fungus.

I collect FC Barcelona jerseys, scale models (most of them jets 1/48, unfinished), and Orchids along with my wife

You collect your wife? That didn't upset her?

Sounds pretty easy, too. "Ok, I got the only one, collection complete!"

You collect your wife? That didn't upset her?

Sounds pretty easy, too. "Ok, I got the only one, collection complete!"

hey, english is not my native language, i talk all of the time but make mistakes, now this is rather an interesting, collecting wives............... can the dead ones count too............

Open your underwear drawer once in awhile to let in some fresh air. :biggrin:

hey, english is not my native language, i talk all of the time but make mistakes, now this is rather an interesting, collecting wives............... can the dead ones count too............

I don't think you want to go there...

A shot of penicillin will clear that right up.