Sign in to follow this  
AGOSTINO

How do I get DT Skins to show in SF2...?

That thread refers to when Drop tanks are part of the planes 3D model which was a new thing in SF2

Unfortunately I don't know of any add on jets with built in drop tanks yet - so the tanks need to be added as weapons (AFAIK )

from TK on SF2:

Drop tanks can now be part of the 3d model, and can use skin textures in individual skin folder. So gray F-4 can use gray tanks and camo'ed F-4 can use camo'ed tanks.

That thread refers to when Drop tanks are part of the planes 3D model which was a new thing in SF2

Unfortunately I don't know of any add on jets with built in drop tanks yet - so the tanks need to be added as weapons (AFAIK )

mmmhhhhh, :blink: then I believe it is impossible to get one type of tank, with many camo/skin, in the same aircraft!!!

I tried, I have made many search, but nothing to do!! :dntknw:

well, I think you're wrong

the way I understand it, tanks can be built so that their skin is linked to the plane skin, on a specific map of course

so when you chnage the skin, if necessary the colors of the tanks can differ, something that has always be possible by "cheating" with the system

Good thing is that now, the color of the tanks being linked to a skin, you don't need to select it yourself, it's automatic

This is a cool feature of SF2. For stock aircraft you just put your new bitmap in the skin folder and, hey presto, matching tanks!

RAFEagleF103-1.jpg

This is a cool feature of SF2. For stock aircraft you just put your new bitmap in the skin folder and, hey presto, matching tanks!

RAFEagleF103-1.jpg

Where can I download, this aircraft in the photo?? :blink:

well, I think you're wrong

the way I understand it, tanks can be built so that their skin is linked to the plane skin, on a specific map of course

so when you chnage the skin, if necessary the colors of the tanks can differ, something that has always be possible by "cheating" with the system

Good thing is that now, the color of the tanks being linked to a skin, you don't need to select it yourself, it's automatic

O.K. boys, I have received many answers on my question, who says that is not possible, who tells me that is can, the fact is, that I am not a modder, and I cannot understand, how to solve the problem!!! :dntknw:

There is please, someone can explain to me kindly, through a kind of guide or tutorial, what should I do?? :yes:

From what I understand the mapping for the aircaft's drop tank is part of the aircraft skin. So in order to change the drop tank skin, you have to find the part on the aircraft skin where the texture for the aircraft is mapped. SFG/WoX didn't have this ability, so now SF2 allows you to do this, so far with stock skins. Cool thing TK adds a little touch but doesn't caress the modders heart right.

Sorry EJ, this reminds Me of a PM I just saw last Night that I wanted to respond to this Morning, But this Thread will take care of it.

For Drop Tanks to have Skins controlled by the Aircraft's Skin Folder, The Model must have a "Node" that is a Drop Tank assigned to it in 3dMax. All of ThirdsWires new Aircraft Models in the SF2 Series has this done to it. The Drop Tanks are controlled by the "Wet" Entry of the Aircraft's Data.ini. Once this is done, The DT in the Weapons Folder acts as Default as far as the Skin Goes. But Skin specific Tank Skins can be added to the Aircraft's Skin Folder. Also, Since the new Format has a "Node" for the Tank, Up to 4 Decals can be assigned to it too. In order to take Advantage of the New Features of SF2 as far as Models are concerned, 2 Types of "Nodes" would have to be created. One for the "Burner Can Effect", another for the "Drop Tanks" added to Model Meshes in 3dMax.

First Generation Models that haven't had a "Node" assigned, Still can use the First Generation Method of assigning Drop Tanks in the Weapons Folder with the Weapons Editor and Hex Editting. Please refer to the "Knowledge Base" for information on that Process.

Please refer to the "Knowledge Base" for information on that Process.

Where is it, where is this refer, in the "KB"?? :dntknw:

....and, can I to create this assigned "Node", in the First Generation Models??

Edited by AGOSTINO

A model that has already been built cannot have Fuel Tanks added to it.

There are first generation models that have the fuel tanks as part of the model, therefore, you can give it a custom skin. Julhelm's excellent Skyray model is one, I believe the F-106 is another. But there are very few models that had the fuel tanks built as part of the model.

FC

I think we had that issue due to game limitations with the Supa Bug. No way to really make that happen unless we sacrifice some slots correct? And will the SF2 engine be able to release them correct?

Eric,

Well, I don't think you necessarily NEED a dedicated weapon station for the fuel tanks. The main problem we had was that the Gen 1 versions of the sim would not allow you to 'jettison' parts of the aircraft LOD file. That has now changed. I THINK it's theoretically possible we could retool the model slightly to have the fuel tanks as part of the model, which would allow for custom skins. If we were to change the model to SF2 standards, we could add the new AB effects too.

FC

Well if it can be done, can you try?

Well, just did some testing...and it looks like we have a winner!

First up, SF2 burner effect added (showing at min burner so you can see the effect):

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

Second, tweaked the air refueling pod only slightly...didn't even have to alter the Weapon data.ini file:

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

Yep, it worked on a non-dedicated pylon (the center pylon could be loaded with other weapons). All other functions worked normally (could carry weapons, drop tanks, etc).

Just a small scale test...but it means we shouldn't have a problem being able to add the drop tanks as part of the model, which means custom paint and decals for the tanks as part of the aircraft skins.

FC

Nice.

It's just going to take some time to mount the tanks, then reexport the aircraft LOD files...also, do you want to be able for each tank to have the exact same paint job (up to 5 tanks sharing the same paint scheme)? Or each tank on the same aircraft to have a unique paint job (5 different paint schemes on one aircraft)?

FC

You Guys are becomming the Leaders in 3dParty SF2 Aircraft.....Looks Excellent.

Full conversion completed on the E model. Drop tanks are now part of the aircraft model and can be decaled. They currently all share the same bitmap and mapping (the bitmap that the original tank uses).

Surprisingly, after the initial MAX grunt work, the changes in the data.ini for the Weapon and aircraft are minimal. Heck, didn't even have to play with the loadout.ini.

FC

Let's stick with one paintscheme for the droptanks, unless people feel the need for different ones. When able could you PM me the modded stuff while I'm in transit?

All models converted. And something for you red air fans:

img00002.JPG

FC

Great work and an important step forward. Chapeau!

FC.... You da man!

EricJ,

Did you still want the models? It's going to be a huge download, even if 7-zipped. Might need to email instead vs PM.

Also, all weapons are now updated to SF2 standards, cockpits have been updated as well with the needed bitmaps to prevent 'white' areas.

Basically, it's all setup as a 'one stop shop' download. Includes changes to a few of KB's weapons to incorperate the new ALQ-99 models for aircraft other than the EA-18G

Also, for you fans of Siddogs work, you should find very minimal changes needed to use his skins. Just take the custom tank skins from the tank folder and put it into the aircraft skin folder. That's it...you'll have the custom tanks. Pull the decal folders and put them into the respective areas as per the KB.

FC

Also, as an addendum, do we want to coordinate efforts with ArturR? He's been making avionics updates for the Super Hornet as per this thread:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=38271

I figure these avionics, along with incorperating the SF2 RWR upgrades, should make this a nicely updated release for the SF2 series.

In fact, because of the alterations of the LOD files, this aircraft will probably be the first 3rd party aircraft that is NOT compatible with the first generation of TW sims.

In other words, this aircraft will only be fully compatible with SF2 and later...you won't be able to run this aircraft in SFP1/SFG/WOV/WOE/WOI without serious data.ini knowledge to be able to 'hide' parts.

FC