Sign in to follow this  
Voss

OK to delete CFS3 after OFF BHaH installation?

I have the old 3.0 version of CFS3, so I had to have it installed to install OFF BHaH. Now that that's taken care of, can I remove CFS3? Does OFF use anything from the CFS3 folder, or is it completely independent? If it's independent, should I uninstall CFS3, or should I manually delete the folder?

Thanks

I have the old 3.0 version of CFS3, so I had to have it installed to install OFF BHaH. Now that that's taken care of, can I remove CFS3? Does OFF use anything from the CFS3 folder, or is it completely independent? If it's independent, should I uninstall CFS3, or should I manually delete the folder?

Thanks

That's a great question Voss. I wish I could answer this adequately. Hopefully the "pros" will show up here and straighten me out. For sure, OFF needs the cfs3.exe and cfsconfig.exe files but I'm not sure if anything else is needed. You cannot simply go to "Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall CFS3 as that would delete these files which definitely won't do.

You could always experiment. I do know it's possible to run OFF and not have CFS "officially" installed (i.e. showing up in "Add/Remove Programs"). I'm just not sure how to go about setting it up that way.

Here's what I might try:

1. Make a copy of the "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\cfs3" (or whatever it's called) tree.

2. Use "Add/Remove Programs" to delete CFS3.

3. Delete the tree "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\cfs3"

4. Rename your backup copy of the tree to "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\cfs3"

That puts everything back that would be needed by OFF (unless there is CFS3 stuff somewhere in "Documents and Settings"; not sure about that) and since you didn't uninstall OFF, it should find everything. Hopefully if there are files deleted by the CFS uninstall that OFF needs, OFF would complain and give you a hint of what it is looking for so you know what else you need to preserve before uninstalling CFS3. Obviously some experimenting going on here.

See if that works. I don't have CFS 3.0 so I have no way of verifying what I've said, I'm just logically thinking it through. If you totally screw this up, you can simply delete everything and start from scratch. It's worth trying.

I have been telling all my friends who are flirting with buying OFF to make sure they get CFS 3.1 rather than 3.0 because with 3.1, you simply install OFF and it will prompt you to put your CFS disk in the drive for verification (and I suppose to copy off the cfs3.exe, etc.) and it never actually installs CFS. I really like that and would not want to have to install CFS first. If you have 3.0, you have to patch it up to 3.1 before you install OFF which is a bit of a pain. If you're shopping for CFS anyway, you may as well limit your search to 3.1 to avoid the hassle.

If you choose to try this, please let us know how it goes. I'm sure other CFS 3.0 users are interested in this too.

You don't need to go to all that trouble, Voss. I deleted my CFS3 install immediately after installing OFF and haven't had a hiccup since. Of course, you still have to have the CFS3 disk in the DVD drive in order to play OFF unless you are one of the lucky ones with the rare Ubisoft version.

You don't need to go to all that trouble, Voss. I deleted my CFS3 install immediately after installing OFF and haven't had a hiccup since. Of course, you still have to have the CFS3 disk in the DVD drive in order to play OFF unless you are one of the lucky ones with the rare Ubisoft version.

That's great to hear. Thanks for clearing that up.

So, I assume because OFF installs in it's own path, you can then safely delete the CFS3 path. That makes sense.

Sorry to try and complicate this! :blush:

That's great to hear. Thanks for clearing that up.

So, I assume because OFF installs in it's own path, you can then safely delete the CFS3 path. That makes sense.

Sorry to try and complicate this! :blush:

Ok,,,now how about reinstalling off3 with bhah already installed?

Only reason i ask is I had cfs3 and bhah installed and didnt need cd,,,had to uninstall/reinstall cfs3, and when i was finished,,,bhah needed cd,,,and,,i wasnt gettting the insert cd message,,i was getting some funky error message...

just something to think about before you put cfs3 back on..

Before you uninstall it, you may want to consider copying the CFS3 folder contents onto a dvd or other drive first. I tried installing OFF by copying the files from a DVD and it seems to work fine and found everything it needs. At least this can help save some clutter in your registry by not having to reinstall CFS to install OFF.

Information Please for one who can't fathom the reason for the uninstall, the HD's of today are 300Gig and up. I can see saving space on a 20gig HD, but they dissapeared with ME. Unless of course we're talking a Raptor unit

Do you delete the "Get AOL for free" shortcut that software installs create on your desktop?

I uninstalled CFS3 with no problems for OFF.

Information Please for one who can't fathom the reason for the uninstall, the HD's of today are 300Gig and up. I can see saving space on a 20gig HD, but they dissapeared with ME. Unless of course we're talking a Raptor unit

Ah, but 80 gig hard drives in piece of crap Dell Inspiron 1501 laptops are still with us. Half of mine is taken up by OFF and FSX. :sorry:

Just make sure you don't install OFF into the normal folder for CFS3 if you installed that. Put it elsewhere and it shouldn't cause a problem if you unstall CFS3.