Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Key mapping optimizations - question

And yet another newbie question - but I couldn't find an answer.

Is it possible to have more keymapping options, maybe by editing an .ini somewhere? For example, it would be nice if the "Fire selected weapon" Key (default: Enter) would also fire the primary gun if that is the currently selected weapon. The way it is now, this key makes little sense since you can cycle trough Sidewinder/Sparrow/Vulcan but you can only fire Sidewinder and Sparrow.

Doing so would save me one key on my stick which I could need for other things, since I rarely use guns and missiles at the same time this would be okay.

Padlock and Target closest to view center would be nice if it could be on the SAME key. IL-2's padlock is so easy to use - point the sight at an aircraft, hit it once, when you release it view goes back to front.

In First Eagles and SF2, I need three keys for the same function: Target key (T), Padlock Toggle(F4) and Front Cockpit view(F1). Certainly there's room for optimization here?

Also, is there really no way to have view control (pan view) and zoom on both joystick and mouse?

Minor stuff, but would make the sim much more enjoyable.

And yet another newbie question - but I couldn't find an answer.

Is it possible to have more keymapping options, maybe by editing an .ini somewhere?

Yes it can be - have a look at the Controls folder in the main game directory. You'll see a "default.ini" (or if you already created new control maps in the game more INI's having their names). In those INI's, you are able to assign any key to any funktion, but I'm reallöy not sure if a double assignment of a command is possible. Say if you're assigning the FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN to the same command as FIRE_WEAPON , I think that your gun will be dry pretty quickly.

Nevertheless, try! (and post the result here... :-D )

Greets, Uhu

The gun example isn't the best for multiple uses, but for example Padlock and Target Closest To Center could be good as a "point and track-one click" solution. I'll try that at home, as well as maybe adding multiple bindings for the same command (mouse view...)

Also there's the option to reverse axis which I had been looking for. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, I'll experiment and report back if I find something worthy.

Okay, I tried "Target Closest Center" and Padlock on the same joystick key - no dice. Doesn't seem to work. the button remained in control of padlock but no targeting took place.

What kind of stick are you using? I use a Saitek AV8R and the program that comes with it allows many options for switching modes for keys, and macros for keys which could allow you to target center veiw and padlock in one key press??

I use trackir so the hat is of little use, so I use the hat for radar, and switch between three different modes

Mode off

regular pan veiw

mode A (BVR)

next radar target >

previous radar target <

lock radar target ^

visual lock on radar target v ( kinda like IFF)

mode B (A-A combat )

next visual target >

previous visual target <

target closest to center ^

target closest enemy v

before trackir I always had one thumb button fire selected weapon(which I still use), one button center veiw(which I still use), another for padlock, and of course the trigger for guns with the hat for pan.

hopefully some of these ideas might help.

Hi

I use the very same stick - better suited for WW1 and WW2 arguable - but one of my thumb buttons is front view, since the hat and padlock toggle do not allow for a quick "return to front" command.

Never did install the software, yeah that should do the trick. Or I could just switch to the Thrustmaster Cougar I have around ;)

later

Get TrackIR, and you'll wonder how you ever used padlock. It is that good, more important than having a throttle IMO

Hi

I use the very same stick - better suited for WW1 and WW2 arguable - but one of my thumb buttons is front view, since the hat and padlock toggle do not allow for a quick "return to front" command.

Never did install the software, yeah that should do the trick. Or I could just switch to the Thrustmaster Cougar I have around ;)

later

So set-up the cougar and go get trackir.......then sprinkle a little kerosene around your pit area(smell helps with the immersion :wink: ) and it'll be like your actually in your own jet :good:

seriously, I couldnt agree with eraser_tr more.......I new before I got TIR that it was gonna be good, but it's not just good......it's brilliant :ok: my biggest problem is that I cant figure out what I was waiting for :dntknw: should have bought it years ago.

I've been holding back on TIR since only FS2004 would fully support all axis (6DOF) and that would disable the "cockpit bobbing" which I like (standard FS9 aircraft have totally static 3d pits, no sense of movement in that one unless you install an addon which uses the TrackIR API).

First Eagles and SF2 do only three axis either I guess (pan view and zoom view). Or is there 6DOF somewhere hidden?

FE and the rest do 5DOF TIR. No head roll.

Outsch. That puts a serious dent in my defense against spending the money. Right now the local amazon charges 140EUR for TIR4 with Vector, which is a rip off, and ordering from the US drives the price with import duty.

Is there any mod or way to map the left/right/up/down lateral head movements to a key? Lord knows I wanted that for a while.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

Outsch. That puts a serious dent in my defense against spending the money. Right now the local amazon charges 140EUR for TIR4 with Vector, which is a rip off, and ordering from the US drives the price with import duty.

Is there any mod or way to map the left/right/up/down lateral head movements to a key? Lord knows I wanted that for a while.

Actually these TW games do only support 3DOF........that should not deter you though. FS9 and WOE are the only two games I use (though I have many more fltsims, these are the two that I use) and it's nice to be able to lean over and look down and out the window in FS, but to be honest I've never yet been in WOE and thought that I was missing this function, you can still look everywhere and leaning forward zooms you in and out. I actually sometimes find the extra DOF's in FS can make it easier to get dissoriented :rolleyes:

"Is there any mod or way to map the left/right/up/down lateral head movements to a key?"

I don't think TW games are set-up to have your POV movable.....I think having such good mirrors makes this option to difficult to do, they would be even harder on FPS than they allready are (way harder!) I cant imagine these games without the mirrors :no: and for me losing those extra DOF's for mirrors seems like a fair trade-off.

trust me..... go get the TIR :wink:

Edited by romflyer

Leaning sideways also works in TW games - in FE you can look through gunsights this way.

Per the Naturalpoint, all the Series 1 TW games are listed by name as 5DOF (Head Roll isn't used). So up/down should also work, and will be much appreciated in the WW1 aircraft.

For what it's worth, I broke down and ordered a TIR yesterday, so it sure will be nice to have these features in TW games. It also reinforces my decision to replace IL-2 and LOMAC with Thirdwire stuff, since these two only have yaw and pitch.

Per the Naturalpoint, all the Series 1 TW games are listed by name as 5DOF (Head Roll isn't used). So up/down should also work, and will be much appreciated in the WW1 aircraft.

For what it's worth, I broke down and ordered a TIR yesterday, so it sure will be nice to have these features in TW games. It also reinforces my decision to replace IL-2 and LOMAC with Thirdwire stuff, since these two only have yaw and pitch.

Isnt peir pressure awesome :clapping:

Congrates on your new acquisition :good: you wont regret it........even if you only get three DOF's :wink: ............and if you get the other that it says on Naturals points site(I saw it to) then let me know what I'm missing.

As I'm writing this I just had a thought, they list all the TW games together including FE, I'll bet FE offers 5DOF but the rest of the games only have 3DOF.............no mirrors in WW1 planes :rolleyes: sneaky buggers!!.......no worries though, your still gonna love it.

Once you figure out the TIR and start to get comfortable with the way feels, then be sure to go back and re-read my earlier post in this thread about hat mappings, not only does it give 8-more usefull buttons on your stick, but it's what hats are used for in real-world (radar functions)