Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

How realistic is CTRL+R (identify radar target)

Hi all

As I try to fly with only realistic amount of information available (no info boxes, no cones, no map icons...) this is something that has been bothering me a bit.

In BVR, the only way to know what you are locking up is CTRL+R. But how realistic is it for the F-4 and F-15?

I know the F-15C does NCTR - non cooperative target recognition - based on a signature database that reads the radar cross section, number of engine blades... and gives the pilot a "best guess" what he is targeting. The process takes a bit, only works from some directions (preferable head on) and is never 100%.

Not sure if the F-15A had the same radar already with the same feature set. The F-4 certainly never had this.

Then there's IFF (Transponder based). As modelled in most other sims, the locked target get interrogated and either replies or doesn't. I'm not sure when this came about, and if any Phantom model had this.

Lastly, there should be a radio option "declare" for the AWACS, which would identify the target you have locked up. But I'm also not sure when that came about.

In summary, for addon campaigns from 1985 on I think STRG+R is alright - but is it realistic to use in the 79 or 69 campaign? Is it an acceptable compromise for lack of other features (like more detailed AWACS picture)?

Well in TW games F-15A does tell friend from a foe in TWS mode. Check the picture below :smile:

post-25041-1248624906_thumb.jpg

Edited by SFP1Ace

The F-4 had an IFF system called 'Combat Tree' (APX-81) - used by the US from around 1971 in Nam - the Iranians also used this system in their F-4s and F-14s during the Iran Iraq war. They would ID the target but normally Vis ID before firing according to most accounts

One thing you can try if you don't want to do that, is ask red crown to call out the location of the nearest threat after you'v locked a target. If you've locked an enemy and there's nothing closer to worry about, she should call 12 o'clock. Check the approximate range of your target against red crown's call and that can help identify then without "cheating".

And besides if it is a friendly, it's not as if the game investigates it and court marshalls you and ends your campaign, it just calls out there's been friendly fire, check targets and doesn't care afterwards. :tongue:

doesn't care afterwards

Aside from adding notable negative values to mission score.

I never use the CTRL+R button didn't know it existed.

But I don't think I'll use it for realism's sake.

I do keep the other gamey stuff like the floaing radar and target info.

Edited by jomni